U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Two Choices; $30K wedding or invest that money instead
Spend the $30K on the nice wedding, tomorrow is not guaranted 14 25.93%
Invest the $30K in the stock market and use it 30 years from now 40 74.07%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 06:46 AM

1,251 posts, read 727,783 times

Advertisements

Haven't read any of the latest posts except the original post on the first page.

My girlfriend and I are planning on spending about $20K total on our wedding. We are paying in cash. This was after much conversation about how the extra money we were going to put towards having a larger wedding could be saved/invested for future things. Kids, moving, college, etc.

In my opinion, spending too much on a wedding is a huge mistake. I'm not one of those people who has a YOLO mentality.

Even our current $20K budget is more than I'd like to spend, but it's not worth the fight at this point lol.

As far as where to put the $30K instead of a wedding, I wouldn't pressure anyone to invest in stocks unless they actually have a plan and some sort of understanding of how things work. Stocks are too complicated and don't make sense to me so I don't invest in them. I invest in rental properties however. I am a big fan of cash flow. Not into stuff that isn't tangible like stocks and mutual funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 06:49 AM

70,862 posts, read 71,228,648 times
that problem is people here are trying to paint the 30 year old with no money the same as a 30 year old with 7 figures and calling the expenditure a waste or silly without even looking at finances or priorities

Old 11-30-2018, 06:57 AM

2,671 posts, read 1,710,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Sorry but $30,000 isn't chump change if you're a middle class average person and just starting out. $30K
could put a kid through two years of college a reasonably priced college.

Let's say instead of doing the $30K you cut it down to $10K. You cut down your guest list, you get a DJ instead of a band, you get rid of extra nonsense, etc. You still have a nice day.

Here's the way I look at it. $20K of savings
I like to do a bit of travelling and have made a 4 day hiking trip each of the past two fall time periods. That's $1300 a pop (airline, rental car, food and miscellaneous stuff). I could make an annual hiking trip every year for the next 15 years with that money. You tell me what is the better deal?
You could say this about anything. That’s irrelevent to me.

I could eat rice everyday. I could live in a trailer down by the river. I don’t need a car. I don’t need heat. I could burn wood. I don’t need my pets. I don’t need multiple sets of dress shoes for work. We don’t need a lot of things We have. Yeah, I could hike somewhere. But I prefer seeing Disney, Niagra falls, and the country’s great cities. Museums, sporting events, great food.

When I’m on my potential death bed, I won’t give two ****s that I once spent 20 to 30k on my wedding.

Like I said, you cannot tell someone else what to value. Period. The end.

In fact, there might be days in my future where I could lose 20 or 30k in a day or a week because of a bad stock market trend because a fed chairman moved rates. Or maybe the ceo of a company I own stock in has a rant at an investment call. Or an oil tanker sinks 10,000 miles away. But what does this all have to do with the price of tea in China? Live life.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 11-30-2018 at 07:07 AM..

Old 11-30-2018, 08:35 AM

1,752 posts, read 2,160,240 times
We all make mistakes, just make sure the mistake is small enough that you can recover, the key is wealth is not by saving but by the ability to earn.

Wedding is important, you don't want to have a wedding that's so crappy, people laughed at you. In that case, don't even bother having it.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:00 AM

1,886 posts, read 633,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
Wedding is important, you don't want to have a wedding that's so crappy, people laughed at you. In that case, don't even bother having it.
Anyone who would laugh at an inexpensive wedding isn't worth the cost of an invitation.

A coworker from a previous job got married in a civil ceremony with a potluck reception afterwards. It was her second marriage, she had very little money, don't know about the new husband. I lived in NJ and it was in Middle of Nowhere, Arkansas so I didn't attend but I thought it was great that they did what they could afford. I gave a generous gift (can't remember if it was cash or off a registry) because I knew they needed it.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:51 AM

1,933 posts, read 1,324,349 times
I guess like housing, wedding prices vary where you live. 30K is NOT a lot where I live. Personally I don't think it's a lot if the list is easily over 100+. Are people having weddings at Applebee's?

Old 11-30-2018, 11:45 AM

2,671 posts, read 1,710,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I guess like housing, wedding prices vary where you live. 30K is NOT a lot where I live. Personally I don't think it's a lot if the list is easily over 100+. Are people having weddings at Applebee's?
Good god man, Applebees?!?! What are you, a millionaire?

According to some in this thread, you should use paper plates and cook up some ballpark’s at the local park pavilion.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:49 AM

9,134 posts, read 3,537,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Sorry but $30,000 isn't chump change if you're a middle class average person and just starting out. $30K
could put a kid through two years of college a reasonably priced college.

Let's say instead of doing the $30K you cut it down to $10K. You cut down your guest list, you get a DJ instead of a band, you get rid of extra nonsense, etc. You still have a nice day.

Here's the way I look at it. $20K of savings
I like to do a bit of travelling and have made a 4 day hiking trip each of the past two fall time periods. That's $1300 a pop (airline, hotel, rental car, food and miscellaneous stuff). I could make an annual hiking trip every year for the next 15 years with that money. You tell me what is the better deal?
For people who like to hike? Some people don't. Some people even hate going on trips.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:56 AM

363 posts, read 187,145 times
$30,000!

And for a man, basically not worth it.

We all have regrets.

Hope my wife never sees this. I am planning on a divorce when the time is right.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:01 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,324,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Live life.
Clearly living life for some posters on CD is to not have experiences that require money and hoard as much as you can to give away to your nephews or nieces or the government when they die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance