U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 10:05 AM

13,200 posts, read 6,308,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
That is actually not true.

The inherent reason why we work is to make this society a better place.

Car mechanics fix your car. If there were no car mechanics, then where would you go when you needed your alternator replaced?

The people who are working at 5 Guys burgers make it possible for you to go in there and get lunch today.

The people who work at Disneyland keep that open so you can go there with your kids and have fun.

Ironically, the most meaningful jobs are often the lowest paid jobs, but I digress.

It is definitely possible to have a practical job that is meaningful.
Thatís the biggest bull, Iíve heard. No, we work to make money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 10:07 AM

13,200 posts, read 6,308,074 times
Quote:
What do you mean "Am I serious?"

Do you want to have a cordial, logical dialogue, or do you want to tell me what an idiot I am and that you're right and I'm wrong?

The reason jobs exist in the first place is to make society work as a vehicle.

Read this article...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...would/c0lf7ed/

And then think about how your job accomplishes making society a better place. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.

Jobs and careers have devolved to being just about "How much salary can I get?" and "When can i retire?" But inherently, they are designed to keep this society running as a team.
How old are you?

Old 12-04-2018, 10:12 AM

7,375 posts, read 11,542,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
How old are you?
I'm in my 40s.

If you're not going to be open to other points of view and you're just going to call another post BS and question my maturity, then why would I bother having a conversation with you?

Old 12-04-2018, 10:18 AM

11,924 posts, read 21,508,334 times
Quote:
What do you mean "Am I serious?"

Do you want to have a cordial, logical dialogue, or do you want to tell me what an idiot I am and that you're right and I'm wrong?

The reason jobs exist in the first place is to make society work as a vehicle.

Read this article...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...would/c0lf7ed/

And then think about how your job accomplishes making society a better place. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.

Jobs and careers have devolved to being just about "How much salary can I get?" and "When can i retire?" But inherently, they are designed to keep this society running as a team.
No. Jobs came about because it's inherently more efficient to specialize and hire out needed work. Example, farmers could focus on farming and hire out other services needed. Money was invented because trading three sheep for a new roof was also inefficient.

"Making society a better place" is a reflection on how valuable that job skill is.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
No. Jobs came about because it's inherently more efficient to specialize and hire out needed work. Example, farmers could focus on farming and hire out other services needed. Money was invented because trading three sheep for a new roof was also inefficient.

"Making society a better place" is a reflection on how valuable that job skill is.
You're really just stating what I'm stating from a different perspective.

The truth of the matter is that people don't think about the person grilling a hamburger at Five Guys as making this world a better place, but they do.

Because people just think of their jobs as vehicles to make $ and then get out of the game and sit on a beach as early as possible, the meaning of jobs has been diluted and the hours we need to work has gone up to fuel people's nest eggs, namely our bosses (who are ironically trying to retire early by working YOU harder). But some practical jobs have a lot more meaning than other practical jobs. And what personally has meaning to you goes a long way.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
You're really just stating what I'm stating from a different perspective.

The truth of the matter is that people don't think about the person grilling a hamburger at Five Guys as making this world a better place, but they do.
Making the world a better place through a job is vastly different than what you stated before, several times, which was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba
The inherent reason why we work is to make this society a better place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba
At the end of the day, the reason why we work is not really to line our pockets. It's to make this world a more productive and happier place. Think about why people are in the workforce to begin with.
No we are miles apart in our "logic".

So you believe, truly, that the reason the guy is flipping burgers is to make the world a better place?

No. He's doing it so he can pay rent next month.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
No we are miles apart in our "logic".

So you believe, truly, that the reason the guy is flipping burgers is to make the world a better place?

No. He's doing it so he can pay rent next month.
It doesn't matter why he's doing it. The reason why most jobs exists (at least inherently) is to better society.

To quote Warren Buffet...

I don't have a problem with guilt about money. The way I see it is that my money represents an enormous number of claim checks on society. It is like I have these little pieces of paper that I can turn into consumption. If I wanted to, I could hire 10,000 people to do nothing but paint my picture every day for the rest of my life. And the GNP would go up. But the utility of the product would be zilch, and I would be keeping those 10,000 people from doing AIDS research, or teaching, or nursing. I don't do that though. I don't use very many of those claim checks. There's nothing material I want very much. And I'm going to give virtually all of those claim checks to charity when my wife and I die.

I'll be honest, I can't believe this is even an argument. You guys really view ALL jobs as just blank vehicles to pay your rent and fund your nest egg?

Old 12-04-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
No. The reason why most jobs exists (at least inherently) is to better society.

To quote Warren Buffet...

I don't have a problem with guilt about money. The way I see it is that my money represents an enormous number of claim checks on society. It is like I have these little pieces of paper that I can turn into consumption. If I wanted to, I could hire 10,000 people to do nothing but paint my picture every day for the rest of my life. And the GNP would go up. But the utility of the product would be zilch, and I would be keeping those 10,000 people from doing AIDS research, or teaching, or nursing. I don't do that though. I don't use very many of those claim checks. There's nothing material I want very much. And I'm going to give virtually all of those claim checks to charity when my wife and I die.
Again what you stated before and what you are now writing are not the same thing.

Of course jobs exist to better society. Otherwise they wouldn't exist. In other news the sky is blue.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Engineer retiring in his 30's.-2f9c4b23-005a-4653-aa39-fcc391bc0bb9.jpeg  

Old 12-04-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Again what you stated before and what you are now writing are not the same thing.

Of course jobs exist to better society. Otherwise they wouldn't exist. In other news the sky is blue.
Seriously though, it's a rhetorical question, but why did you bother responding to my first post?

Granted, I'm just as much to blame in continuing the conversation with you, but seriously...

Anyway, lunch time.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Seriously though, it's a rhetorical question, but why did you bother responding to my first post?
Because I'm in a hotel waiting on my flight and enjoy smacking down people in debate. "To make society a better place".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or