U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 09:45 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,335,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I didnít say anything - $500k is simply a number tossed around by others. I gave a few examples of how one can obtain that number. As for me, my living expenses are around $10k/year so yes, $500k at 4% would last me quite a while...likely the rest of my life. Cohabitating with GF, my expenses are even lower...ridiculously low.
When you don't do anything of course 500K will last you for the rest of your life. You probably need only two cars in your whole life. You probably drive around 5000 miles a year.

The only advice you should be giving are to Spartans who just use the library and net for the main source of entertainment. You can't spend when you do squat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 10:07 AM

17,224 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Why are you guys so concerned about how he got the money he has?
Because people want to know the details, on this forum. Leaving them out doesn't count.

If somebody makes a claim about how they retired in their 30s (which is pretty extraordinary), we want to know exactly how they went about doing it and what their life situation is.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:45 AM

11,679 posts, read 7,041,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
When you don't do anything of course 500K will last you for the rest of your life. You probably need only two cars in your whole life. You probably drive around 5000 miles a year.

The only advice you should be giving are to Spartans who just use the library and net for the main source of entertainment. You can't spend when you do squat.
I do what I want though. Pretty typical middle class lifestyle without all the frivolous spending. I have internet, ~100 channels on TV, an iPhone, safe modern car, a large garage to play around in, 3br/2ba brick house, 15 minutes from city of 1M+, health insurance, plenty of food, a gym membership, etc.

What am I missing out on? $5k vacations? 3500 sq ft McMansion, $50 steak dinners every week? A boat? Designer clothing? Constantly having a 2-3 year old car?

Old 12-15-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Because people want to know the details, on this forum. Leaving them out doesn't count.

If somebody makes a claim about how they retired in their 30s (which is pretty extraordinary), we want to know exactly how they went about doing it and what their life situation is.
But why cant adults respect one’s right to privacy concerning finances and simply entertain a theoretical discussion on the feasibility of extreme early retirement? Perhaps I don’t want such matters public on a forum where anyone I interact with in real life can read such intimate details about my finances (or ANY details).

Old 12-15-2018, 11:55 AM

71,471 posts, read 71,652,652 times
why bother posting about how you retired at 30 if you are not prepared to share the hows and details ? it makes no sense to me and obviously many here

Old 12-15-2018, 11:57 AM

26,075 posts, read 28,478,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Agreed.

The risk averse people will have the hardest time retiring early imo. The worst are the ones that are both spenders and risk averse. Im trying to help an older friend who falls into this category. Thereís just not much I can help him with.
I'll just point out that "risk averse spenders" is an oxymoron. High spenders are, by definition, high risk. But I get what you mean, people are contradictory creatures.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
why bother posting about how you retired at 30 if you are not prepared to share the hows and details ? it makes no sense to me and obviously many here
The how is for each individual to figure out for themselves given their own circumstances. It’s pointless to talk about one person. Don’t put yourself in a box thinking it’s somehow impossible so everyone MUST know what I did to have any chance of recreating it.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:26 PM

18,848 posts, read 13,592,109 times
Quote:
The how is for each individual to figure out for themselves given their own circumstances. Itís pointless to talk about one person. Donít put yourself in a box thinking itís somehow impossible so everyone MUST know what I did to have any chance of recreating it.
You made it about you and then only told a portion of your story. Itís not that people think the concept is unbelievable but rather why you would make it about yourself and then only tell part of the story, leaving out the most important part

Old 12-15-2018, 01:27 PM

71,471 posts, read 71,652,652 times
Quote:
The how is for each individual to figure out for themselves given their own circumstances. It’s pointless to talk about one person. Don’t put yourself in a box thinking it’s somehow impossible so everyone MUST know what I did to have any chance of recreating it.
it is exactly like low said , why bother even bringing it up if everything is a secret. i would never tell a thing about myself unless i was prepared to discuss it unless i was bound by some legal retriction

Old 12-15-2018, 01:27 PM

26,075 posts, read 28,478,940 times
Quote:
But why cant adults respect one’s right to privacy concerning finances and simply entertain a theoretical discussion on the feasibility of extreme early retirement? Perhaps I don’t want such matters public on a forum where anyone I interact with in real life can read such intimate details about my finances (or ANY details).
If you're so d*mn interested in privacy, then why post your life story on the internet at all?

When you do something way out of the ordinary, people understandably would want to know how you achieved that. If you want to ask people "Who's joining me in early retirement?" as you did in one thread, without sharing the process of how you got there, then that's quite disingenuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or