Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 09:25 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Lol, assuming their kid has to go to a private ivy for school is a bit of a false narrative. The state school in my State is less than 1/3rd that for all 4 years and that assumes you live on campus all 4 years, which is more expensive.
I think kids (and parents) come out way ahead by living at home and going to community college. About $3-4K/year around here and they can work part time jobs while attending...may be able to enter a university with $0 debt and $20k+ in the bank (a huge downpayment on a house after college). Do they really have to attend a $40k private school to take stuff like English 111/algebra 1/trig/US History/etc? There are people attending med/vet/dent school who did very well at CC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 11:54 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Are you sure? The ceiling for subsidies is 400% FPL which for 2018 is about $64k. Depends on how you're invested but I think it's possible to have 60k income from 3 million in taxable.
My numbers assume a single person, without kids. Considerations for couples and/or parents are going to be different...in matters of taxes, healthcare, long-range planning, and so forth. For a married couple, there are tax-benefits or tax-penalties, depending on earnings (salary). For persons living off of investments, married couples appear to have an advantage over singles, both in terms of federal income tax, and ACA-subsidy qualification. Then again, even the hero of the FIRE movement, MMM himself, is proof of the potential disadvantages; recently he and his wife got divorced - with, almost certainly, devastating financial consequences.

Whereas there are many ways of reaching a modicum of success (high salary, good savings habits, decades-long dedication to one's craft, S&P 500, real-estate, lavish legal settlements, stock options, inheritance, drug-dealing, Bitcoin,...)... some, ahem, more reliable than others... it is quite difficult to so orient one's finances, as to have steady income without much portfolio-fluctuation, while saving on taxes, being well-insured against disastrous exigencies, getting good health-care at a discount, and sorting the various other problems of normal human existence.

In other words, we can and should make maximal effort to boost our income and to save our earnings... even in the face of adversity. But... even if we have achieved a tidy sum, and sorted our lives to minimize expenses, well, even then, there's no guarantee that we're "ready" to align dreams with reality.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:30 AM

Look at it like this - anyone can duplicate my expenses and live on $10k/year. Even if SHTF, it’s not that difficult to earn $10k+. Heck, get a part time job working 20 hours per week. Healthcare would be free and one would probably qualify for other subsidies. If you’re in a relationship and home/car are paid off, you can actually live well on $10-12k/year. Of course this is a worst case scenario where all you’ve accumulated has been sucked dry.

The part time job may even be a good idea for those earning $20k+ passive income in a “retirement” they enjoy. I’ve thought about substitute teaching locally 1 or 2 days per week just to get out a little. I don’t need the money, but an extra $5k or so might be nice to throw into a ETF or something every year...or maybe even something much riskier. $5k/year for 30 or so years would probably result in a larger nest egg than most retirees have...on top of the net worth I’ve already accumulated not being touched for 30 years. Yeah, it’s work, but work isn’t really work when you go when you feel like it.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:18 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
He's got pretty detailed answers to all your questions on his blog. You're the one saying he's lying without having bothered to investigate, so the burden is on you to prove otherwise not me.
I notice this with strident naysayers. The answers to their questions/criticisms are often provided right on the blogs they criticize but didn't even bother to read.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:15 AM

106,560 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Medicaid LTC is really tough to game. Maybe by gifting then waiting out the five year lookback window?
there are lots of laws and tools in place that anyone can utilize when it comes to medicaid ltc . they are all purposely left in place for whoever wants to use them so i would never call it gaming the system .

there are ways to preserve assets through loans , medicaid trusts , gifting and in some states just having a spouse utilize their right say no which can open the door for medicaid negotiation ..

our long term care insurance is a state partnership plan that automatically has medicaid pick up the expenses after the 3 years insurance runs out and assets and income for the stay at home spouse have 100% protection . that is the deal with the state with our partnership plans .

as a now famous judge in CT said . he does not want 2 people on public assistance in his state . the stay at home spouse is driven in to impovershment usually as assets and income are severely restricted .

negotiations with medicaid have become the norm now instead of recovery in ny , ct and florida . our estate attorney who is one of the biggest in this field said he has no recovery cases from medicaid . now everything is a negotiation as everything is done to preserve the life style of the stay at home spouse .

many states have not adopted the stance ny ,florida and ct do , but all these tools and laws have been purposely left in place to be used by those who choose to use them .

it is no different than our tax system is . your fair share of taxes is the lowest amount you can get them using the laws and tools put in place for that purpose .

https://www.elderlawanswers.com/medi...t-say-no-12156

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-17-2018 at 02:26 AM..

Old 12-17-2018, 02:23 AM

1,279 posts, read 851,346 times
Quote:
You're wrong again.

1. It says right there in the quote I made that he's calculating it in inflation adjusted dollars.
2. Avg cost for year of college is 20k public, 47k private (tuition, room, board) source = https://www.collegeraptor.com/find-c...sts-2017-2018/

He's got pretty detailed answers to all your questions on his blog. You're the one saying he's lying without having bothered to investigate, so the burden is on you to prove otherwise not me.

He (not they) writes one post per week, but it's irrelevant to our discussion whether one considers that a job since we're disagreeing on your claims that he's living in poverty, lying about his net worth, not caring for his family, can't afford to pay for their college, etc. whatever other unfounded BS you're slinging because his life doesn't conform to your world view.
No, you’re not correct.

You are totally missing my clear point.

He has $55k invested for college. That will result in $200k available for college in 19 years, adjusting for investment returns and inflation.

$200k isn’t enough for college now. And it certainly won’t be enough once college costs climb for another 19 years.

The other answers to my questions are not available in his blogs or the articles.

You probably read Alex Jones’ Infowars online and believe all of it, too, without verifying it.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
No, you’re not correct.

You are totally missing my clear point.

He has $55k invested for college. That will result in $200k available for college in 19 years, adjusting for investment returns and inflation.
Hh
$200k isn’t enough for college now. And it certainly won’t be enough once college costs climb for another 19 years.

The other answers to my questions are not available in his blogs or the articles.

You probably read Alex Jones’ Infowars online and believe all of it, too, without verifying it.
Who says it’s a parent’s duty to amass enough fortune to send their child to any university in the world paid in full?

And why is $200k not enough for college now? We have one of the best schools is the country in my state and tuition/fees/room is about $23k/year. I would think a kid that needs to attend a great school would prove their academic worth by being awarded some sort of scholarships to cover part of tuition. I certainly wouldn’t feel obligated to send a C student to the best school.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:03 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
thread closed for mod review.

Many posts have been deleted - almost all to do with a thread hijack involving personal attacks between two posters here (not the Eddie Haskell story - the other one). I ask that those two posters refrain from posting at Economics forums today - and leave each other alone.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:13 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Nope. He clearly shows how he has calculated the returns for investments with dividends and cap gains reinvested over a 20 year period versus the rate of inflation for tuition to arrive at having the money to cover a $200k tuition, including graphs showing the growth.

To take this farther on how ridiculous your complaint is, how many actual still working folks save up to throw $200k at their kids' education? I submit very few, yet here you are criticizing this guy as not taking care of his family because he's socking away $55k in investments to grow for his child's college before that kid is even born. It's as silly as your implying not having a car means he's raising them in poverty.

Quote:
$200k isn’t enough for college now.
Nope.

Quote:
They certainly are, you not bothering to look into and comparing everything in life to your own personal situation "I can't do that and I've worked for 20 years" doesn't mean it's not there.

Quote:
Nope.

Last edited by lieqiang; 12-18-2018 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance