U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 08:51 AM

7,040 posts, read 1,706,378 times

Advertisements

About a week ago my dad gets bill from Amazon/Chase credit card, it was under my name with a SR suffix added (I am not a senior, no kids), and his address ( I do not live there and have never lived there).

There were zero purchases, and zero balance due, it did say I had a $5000. credit limit.

Upon calling the company, my mothers maiden name, last four of my social, all matched, but, here is the kicker, they said an actual credit card for this account had never been sent out. I tried getting as much info as I could from the lady, but she wasnt able to tell me much, just that it was opened about a month ago and no card was ever issued, and nothing had been purchased on the account.

I asked her about Identity theft and she didnt think this had happened, as no card was sent out and no purchases made, so Im not sure if this just happened automatically? My friend thinks it is a marketing ploy, to try and get me to spend money and request a card, but they had my mothers maiden name, my SS, they got my address wrong, but everything else was right!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 09:15 AM

3,186 posts, read 1,449,324 times
I'd go down to Chase and have them check the card.
I'd get online and set up Passwords unique to this card.
I'd go down to McD's and buy something nominal to see if the card works.
Then I'd recheck online balance.
You may want to have another card issued and not use mother's maiden name.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:16 PM

2,256 posts, read 1,211,267 times
They just don't send unsolicited cards anymore.

I'd lock all credit files and close the account if you didn't open it. If someone signed up for a card with your info they already have all they need to do serious damage down the road. They can also convincingly get passwords reset and things like that which you might not notice and you could lose track of the account until it's too late.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I'd go down to Chase and have them check the card.
I'd get online and set up Passwords unique to this card.
I'd go down to McD's and buy something nominal to see if the card works.
Then I'd recheck online balance.
You may want to have another card issued and not use mother's maiden name.
There was never an actual card processed for this account though, their records show none was ever made or shipped out. To buy anything with the account, you would need a PIN and the 3 digit security code on the card. (this didnt exist).

Plus, if someone did open it trying to steal my identity, they had over 2 months to use it, plus it had $1000 cash available right away...(nothing used, no money taken out), seems kind of odd to go the trouble of opening up a new credit card and then never use it.

I closed the account permanently btw when I was on the phone with them.

Another thing was the address, it was my dads address, so Why would an identity thief use an address when he would never have access to it?

Old 12-03-2018, 06:46 PM

47 posts, read 16,097 times
You sure your dad didn't open it by mistake? I have that card and all it takes is a few clicks to get it and you're on your way. You can even start using it on Amazon before it comes in the mail.

Great card btw if you shop on Amazon a lot and are a prime member.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:52 PM

2,256 posts, read 1,211,267 times
How do you close and account that was never opened? Must of been open and you go a card so something doesn't add up.

Someone got your information and gave it to Chase to open the account. If it wasn't you then it was someone else. You need to double check your credit reports because accounts don't just open themselves.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
How do you close and account that was never opened? Must of been open and you go a card so something doesn't add up.

Someone got your information and gave it to Chase to open the account. If it wasn't you then it was someone else. You need to double check your credit reports because accounts don't just open themselves.
Thats what Im trying to figure out. I spoke to a supervisor yesterday and she confirmed that an actual card was never processed or mailed out. (without the physical card, it is impossible to purchase anything), even if you buy online, you need the exp date ON THE CARD, the PIN, as well as the 3 digit security code, ALSO ON THE CARD.

It really doesnt make sense...if someone did use my info to open a new credit card...why did they never use it (cash was available), and why would they use my dads address (they would not have access to it)????

Im waiting on a call from Amazon, hopefully today, I hope they can shed some light on this more than Chase.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:07 AM

6,259 posts, read 7,486,790 times
My son recently received a credit card to a big box home improvement store. It was mailed to my address and he hasn't lived here in 25 years. He said he never applied for it and had no idea who had. When he called corporate to find out why he received this card, they told him that if he didn't want it he would have to fill out paperwork (which they would send) to cancel it. He agreed to do so.

Meantime, he received a coupon good for 15% Off his next purchase. Then another coupon arrived. Then a fat envelope which I assumed was the paperwork required to decline the card.

I questioned why it would be necessary to fill out paperwork to decline a card when it seemed that no paperwork was required to open the account in the first place. But that isn't my call.

When his wife stopped by to pick up the stuff, she opened the envelope thinking it was the necessary paperwork only to find that it was a bill for over $6,000.00 worth of purchases!

True, accounts don't open themselves - but they can also be opened by an unknown entity with nefarious intent.

Checking credit reports is prudent but most of us don't do it on a daily basis but rather annually. How vigilant must we be? The only answer is to freeze all credit but that presents a problem when we legitimately want to open a new account.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:08 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,455,648 times
Maybe the criminal was to late at the mailbox?
I have a post office box for this and other reason. Cost 35 a year.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:18 AM

267 posts, read 133,530 times
Do you or your father order off Amazon? Any way his address is on your account? (Mine has several addresses as I sometimes ship to relatives directly.)

The Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card and Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card are through Chase. Before I had an Amazon card, I believe their offers popped up pretty often when checking out - you applied for the card and immediately saved so much or got a gift card for an amount. I was able to use my card at Amazon long before they sent me a physical card in the mail.

Hopefully, Amazon can maybe tell you if one of these offers was clicked. Maybe until it is actually used to place an order on Amazon they don't continue with the activation process?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or