U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 04:03 PM

4,311 posts, read 3,645,981 times

Advertisements

If you do not have adequate savings you have a big problem. To answer your question probably as a teenager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 10:29 PM

17,538 posts, read 3,985,111 times
I was a little kid when i became sated on frivilous consumerism.Ive been trying to save as much money since then.I started taking finances more seriously when i was a child.

Last edited by C24L; 12-18-2018 at 10:58 PM..

Old 12-19-2018, 12:49 PM

8,748 posts, read 13,213,808 times
I've just always been frugal. I have simple needs and simple tastes and desires. However my experience on the job market in my [lousy] profession have motivated me to be even more frugal out of fear.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:16 PM

3,575 posts, read 4,914,292 times
I enjoyed buying stuff (clothes, furniture, gizmos) from when I started working in my 20s into my early 50s. Then I had to clean out my parents' house after they died and it was a hassle because they had accumulated so much. I also found myself out shopping and realizing that there was really nothing that I needed. My husband and I have a nice house, cars, clothes, furniture, and other stuff and if something breaks and needs to be replaced, we'll do it. But we have everything we need and no desire for more.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:21 PM

1,663 posts, read 4,043,389 times
My problem is not consumerism, but the hoarding mentality inherited from my parents. Even if I buy the cheapest item out there that eventually is past its usefulness, I still cling on to it as if there is some slim future utility to it.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:32 PM

780 posts, read 196,744 times
I just buy better quality stuff that lasts longer, and my interests are very focused as I've gotten older. So that reduces a lot of the excess stuff that one can accumulate.

Things I spend $$$ money on: bicycle, electronics, home improvements (mostly out of necessity).

I bought a bicycle around 2012 that cost me around $1200. Maintenance and some additional accessories is the only thing I've really spent on it since then. I bike year round for recreation and commuting, so it's probably one of my most valuable possessions.

I bought an iPad Air 2 in 2014 and still use it abundantly every day.

I have an iPhone 8 that I hope to squeeze a couple more years out of. In fact, as long as it's still functioning, my plan is to do a battery replacement when it starts to go, and that way I can squeeze even more life out of it. Apple tends to support their mobile devices for 5+ years.

I recently purchased a fairly loaded Macbook Pro that I intend on having for the next 8-10 years. The last PC laptop I bought, sometime around 2013 (Sony Vaio, for anyone interested) is still in use and permanently plugged in as my home "desktop".

I also purchased an Apple Watch to complete my "Apple ecosystem". This'll probably be the last big ticket item I pick up in awhile.

Bottom line is that I don't buy a lot of frivolous things. I buy a few things that I will use every day, and I spend extra money on those items so that they will last long term.

Last edited by Sir Quotes A Lot; 12-19-2018 at 03:44 PM..

Old 12-19-2018, 04:13 PM

4,072 posts, read 9,041,575 times
I think it’s very natural to do as you did when you first get a place, or get a bigger place. I did the same thing. Then you fill out your living space and drastically cut back (at least hopefully)

Old 12-19-2018, 06:12 PM

2,670 posts, read 1,710,377 times
As a minor, my parents lost my childhood home. For years before that, they struggled with paying bills. It was a slow developing train wreck that imploded. My state’s economy was the worst in the nation. Hit first, hit deeper, and hit longer. So, there was basically a negative personal situation and the situation around me.

That was why I got an advanced background in finance. I didn’t want to ever have that helpless feeling again. I wanted to take back my power and understand money. Being stuck in bad financial situations made me appreciate things and to not be wasteful or take it for granted because I saw how it evaporated for my family. I became very serious about money when I saw how it effected my family.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:33 PM

337 posts, read 136,189 times
We were broke for many years so not much material accumulation.
Then we were snowbirds with a small condo in Florida and home up north, got tired of lugging the furniture every winter (kidding) so a lot of duplication.

Just 1 house now and still trying to get rid of excess furniture but hard when some are family heirlooms 150 years old and no one in family has room to take them.

Books are my main problem. Darn you Amazon, selling like-new used books for pennies. Every month I take a load to the Friends of the Library used book store. Should be down to keepers in about a year...or two.

De-accumulating is what what senior citizens do in their spare time. A 80 y.o. woman I know sold her excess stuff on craigslist even though I asked if she was concerned about safety. Nope.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:11 AM

13,722 posts, read 7,276,211 times
I’ll never stop spending for lifestyle things unless my cash flow gets trimmed to the point where I can’t afford them. I don’t collect “stuff”. I don’t drive a luxury car. I’ve always shoveled my disposable income into skiing, boats, travel, and dining/food. I’ve skied my whole life. I’ve done salt water things my whole life. I’ve always traveled. I like good food. I’ve always worked hard and climbed the career ladder so I could do those things. I wouldn’t trade 40 years of lifestyle for a huge pile of money. I’ve accrued enough wealth to retire comfortably. More would be nice but I wouldn’t trade the lifetime of memorable things I’ve done for more wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or