Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 11:40 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,128,439 times

Advertisements

I agree with ML. No one is advocating additional spending just to get rewards, just use normal spending and pay it off to qualify. I've never paid any interest on credit cards, but have earned international and domestic flights, and numerous hotel stays using reward points.

I don't feel guilty using these points as I'm just using the system they put in place. It's not my fault it's probably being paid for by those that don't use credit responsibly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 01:34 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Well then we will just have to agree to disagree. We normally spend about $2000 a month on credit cards which includes groceries, gas, tolls, restaurants, and a few of our utilities. With all the cash and points rewards out there, it doesn't make sense not to. We get free airline trips, free purchases on Amazon and cash back from utilizing a variety of cards.

I'm always trying to figure out how to maximize our rewards without making it too complicated or having too many active lines of credit at once.

The original point of my post was to see if others used the same strategy getting cash back by opening a new card and if it was worth it. I've pretty much determined that it is for me.

On the most recent card offer that required a set spend to get the bonus, we happened to have an oral surgery bill and vet bill that more than covered that spend. Why take out of savings when you can get rewarded for putting it on the card? Again, doesn't make sense not to.
I put about 20k on my cards in the last 12 months and got 2k in sign up bonuses. Hard to get a 10% return with zero risk anywhere. And I didn’t do any unnecessary spending or “manufactured” spend. Just put everything that didn’t have a fee (like property taxes) on the card.

It’s a good gig while it lasts.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:52 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
I put about 20k on my cards in the last 12 months and got 2k in sign up bonuses. Hard to get a 10% return with zero risk anywhere. And I didn’t do any unnecessary spending or “manufactured” spend. Just put everything that didn’t have a fee (like property taxes) on the card.

It’s a good gig while it lasts.
I don’t mind paying annual fees or processing fees where it makes sense. I’m paying fed taxes tomorrow at a 1.87% fee to meet sw airlines min spend/get the priority pass. The personal/business cards will cost me in fees, the points are worth 1.5-1.7 cents usually but the signup bonus is 100k points and I will get the companion pass which is a bit hard to value but worth the cost

Old 12-31-2018, 02:19 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I don’t mind paying annual fees or processing fees where it makes sense. I’m paying fed taxes tomorrow at a 1.87% fee to meet sw airlines min spend/get the priority pass. The personal/business cards will cost me in fees, the points are worth 1.5-1.7 cents usually but the signup bonus is 100k points and I will get the companion pass which is a bit hard to value but worth the cost
Good job.

I got that companion pass a year ago by getting 2 southwest cards and putting the “higher than normal” year end spend on it. It almost feels like cheating, doesn’t it?

I wish I could leverage my 9k property tax spend, but my county charges 3%, so it’s hard to find a deal worth doing. Maybe when I run out of easier money.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:25 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Good job.

I got that companion pass a year ago by getting 2 southwest cards and putting the “higher than normal” year end spend on it. It almost feels like cheating, doesn’t it?

I wish I could leverage my 9k property tax spend, but my county charges 3%, so it’s hard to find a deal worth doing. Maybe when I run out of easier money.

Federal income tax is a 1.87% charge so with a chase freedom unlimited you get 1.5 points per dollar and you can move it to your chase sapphire reserved where the min value for travel spend is 1.5 cent making it 2.25% total. It’s plus money but not much

Old 01-02-2019, 02:21 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
Quote:
Well then we will just have to agree to disagree. We normally spend about $2000 a month on credit cards which includes groceries, gas, tolls, restaurants, and a few of our utilities. With all the cash and points rewards out there, it doesn't make sense not to. We get free airline trips, free purchases on Amazon and cash back from utilizing a variety of cards.

I'm always trying to figure out how to maximize our rewards without making it too complicated or having too many active lines of credit at once.

The original point of my post was to see if others used the same strategy getting cash back by opening a new card and if it was worth it. I've pretty much determined that it is for me.

On the most recent card offer that required a set spend to get the bonus, we happened to have an oral surgery bill and vet bill that more than covered that spend. Why take out of savings when you can get rewarded for putting it on the card? Again, doesn't make sense not to.

I'm not saying don't do it, or that it is a bad idea. If you plan on spending the money either way, and have no other credit cards that offer similar rewards, then it is well worth it. I was just pointing out some of the pitfalls.

It is not a free ride or else every financial expert under the sun would recommend doing it. The rewards are a product of your spending, so the more you spend the more rewards you get. As long as you are using it responsibly for your normal spending, or for a rare occasion such as a European vacation, then it makes sense.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:31 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
That’s simply untrue. People can meet minimum spend requirements by covering expenses they would have either way. Your responses make it seem like you are a bit narrow minded on this topic

Fine. I agree. People should open up as many credit cards as possible. They should take 0% financing and avoid paying them off in full each month. They should spend as much money as possible to maximize rewards and then pay off all bills in one lump sum. LOL.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:58 PM

17,575 posts, read 15,247,745 times
The only caution I'd have on it.. At times, having so many cards can be overwhelming and the confusion about which card you've put things on or which one you should use can be too much.

You'd hate to have a situation where you put a small charge on a seldom used card, slips your mind, and then you get hit with a late fee or something like that.

If you feel you have the ability to keep track of everything without driving yourself batty.. You seem to be responsible with your spending, so.. I don't see an issue from that side of things.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:08 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
We have more credit cards than we use or need as it is. 3 are rewards cards - airline, hotel and Amazon plus a Chase Freedom, AMEX and a random Citi card I use exclusively for online purchases. I usually shred the new offers that come in the mail, but recently we have been getting several offers with at least $200 cash back after a certain spend and 0% interest for at least a year.

I succumbed to one of them because getting $200 cash back for what is our normal spending just seemed too good to pass up. Plus, we had some unexpected expenses - dental and vet - that I chose to use the 0% to pay off over a few months. Then I got another one from B of A with a similar deal.

We pay our balances in full each month with the exception of those few times we take advantage of the 0%. Our credit scores are +800 so I'm not worried about taking a credit score hit by opening a new line of credit. Is there any reason I shouldn't take advantage of these offers? It just seems excessive to have so many CC's but the deals they are making right now are pretty hard to pass up.
You don't have to keep the CCs. After you earn and receive the reward, cancel the card if you don't want it.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:18 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Fine. I agree. People should open up as many credit cards as possible. They should take 0% financing and avoid paying them off in full each month. They should spend as much money as possible to maximize rewards and then pay off all bills in one lump sum. LOL.
FFS, no one has suggested anything of the kind. Just a few posts ago you agreed that it makes sense provided you were going to spend the money anyway, now suddenly you are railing against phantom claims. Let me guess, a DR devotee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance