Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 09:23 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
If you are a loyal user with the same card for years, over time your credit limit grows exponentially and you get offered upgraded cards with better rewards.
I don’t have credit line issues with new or old cards and that’s not a reward anyhow. Upgraded cards? Like what? And what better rewards?

Quote:
If you constantly churn cards I doubt your credit limits would increase much with any one card. Although what do I know because according to the posters here it doesn't matter.

A credit line isn’t a reward so it seems the goal post may be moving. I don’t have a personal card opened new or old under 20k credit line so if I got a loyalty bump to 40k it would be irrelevant. Fwiw credit lines aren’t raised because of loyalty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 09:25 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
It’s not a free ride and I already pointed out the reasons why. Just because you have the means does not mean it is a smart idea. You only get cash back if you spend, so it really depends on whether the spending is necessary. If you plan on spending the money either way then it may be worth it. If you are creating unnecessary spending in order to get back the $200 then it is not very wise.

An earlier poster mentioned someone getting back $3000 per year by opening a bunch of accounts. The problem is they would need to open like 10 different cards and spend $2000-3000 per card in order to get back that type of cash.

If you stick with 1-2 good rewards credit cards and do most of your spending on those you will find that over time the rewards can far exceed $200.
you have no business commenting on this topic as someone giving advice. you should be commenting as someone asking for advice.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:43 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I don’t have credit line issues with new or old cards and that’s not a reward anyhow. Upgraded cards? Like what? And what better rewards?

A credit line isn’t a reward so it seems the goal post may be moving. I don’t have a personal card opened new or old under 20k credit line so if I got a loyalty bump to 40k it would be irrelevant. Fwiw credit lines aren’t raised because of loyalty

Not sure what you mean by "credit line"? I said credit limit. Are those two the same? Higher credit limits are a reward for having good credit history. Higher limits lowers your utilization rate giving you better credit. This helps when applying for a loan. Do you disagree with this too?

This is very relevant to the OP's question about what the downsides are to taking this deal. You are trying to move the goalposts and have an argument on your own terms.

The rewards points/cash back alone for my top cards greatly exceeds the $200-500 cash back being discussed here.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:45 AM

my wife has store credit cards that seem to give her automatic credit line bumps and upgraded cards for loyalty reasons. i dont believe it has happened to me on any of my standard credit cards.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you have no business commenting on this topic as someone giving advice. you should be commenting as someone asking for advice.

Do you have any advice to offer besides personal attacks? So far nobody has explained why my original advice was wrong. They have only insulted me based on my perceived tone.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Do you have any advice to offer besides personal attacks? So far nobody has explained why my original advice was wrong. They have only insulted me based on my perceived tone.
i dont really see that as an attack. some people should be asking for advice and some should be giving it. you should be asking it.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
i dont really see that as an attack. some people should be asking for advice and some should be giving it. you should be asking it.

Based on what? Do you have any facts to dispute my comments?

Old 01-04-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
my wife has store credit cards that seem to give her automatic credit line bumps and upgraded cards for loyalty reasons. i dont believe it has happened to me on any of my standard credit cards.

Perhaps it never happened to you because you subscribe to the ideas of the other posters here.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:04 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Based on what? Do you have any facts to dispute my comments?
Your comments are not relevant to the discussion.

Maybe for the general public who can't exercise self control with a new CC.

Anytime I get asked for a credit bump I decline. It just doesn't matter.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:04 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,630,968 times
Quote:
Where did I backtrack? Please describe. I said the same things from my first post. The joke post was just that, a joke.
Every post you wrote was about the "pitfalls". However, the "pitfall" information you provided was largely inaccurate. This has already been pointed out to you multiple times by multiple people.

Quote:
All I did was answer the original poster's questions of downsides of the credit card deal. Then I was attacked by multiple posters including you. If you disagree with the facts, then state your case and move on. All you do is personal insults.
You have not been attacked or personally insulted. Your bad information was corrected, that is all. Do you need yet another person to go over it again? OK:

Quote:
Yes. It is a bad idea for a few reasons.

1. You are creating unnecessary debt. The money has to be paid back in full at some point. The balance will continue to grow each month as long as you continue spending on the card. What if you don't have the money to pay it off in full a year from now?
Incorrect. No unnecessary debt is being created. OP has stated the spending will occur with or without this new card. OP has the money to pay in full.

Quote:
2. You still need to make minimum monthly payments. The larger the balance the higher the minimum due. The more credit cards you have at once the higher your monthly obligations.
Correct, but irrelevant. Again, OP has stated s/he has the money on hand to pay in full. Therefore, the minimum payment due does not create a hardship.

Quote:
3. Your credit will take a hit. Constantly opening and closing credit card accounts and carrying large balances will hurt your credit.
A ding of a few points does not harm people with high credit scores. As previously mentioned, "excellent" is a range of 110 points (740 to 850). 5 or 10 points are meaningless.

Quote:
4. The $200 cash back is usually contingent upon spending a certain amount ($2000-3000 in first 3 months). The credit card companies give you nothing. The $200 cash back is simply passed on from merchant fees for processing your card.
Incorrect. The credit card company will give the customer $200. It is irrelevant that the merchant processing fees offset the credit card company's expenditure as the customer does not pay them. (Yes, you can make the case that merchants merely pass on the processing fees by increasing prices, as they do with every other cost. And it is true, BUT, you are going to pay that higher price whether or not you pay with a credit card, making this point irrelevant).

Quote:
In order to "take advantage" you need to spend thousands on each card in short time periods. Most people only need 2-3 credit cards max. Most cannot handle or keep track of more than that.
Correct, but irrelevant. OP has already considered whether or not s/he will be spending this amount in the time period and has determined yes, s/he will.

Quote:
Only take advantage if you really need a new credit card or if your current cards pay lousy rewards. Only do the 0% financing if you need to to pay off other debts.
Why? Wanting the $200 bonus seems like a good reason to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance