U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 08:33 AM

7,372 posts, read 4,224,066 times

Advertisements

2019 Goals

1. Pay off my small debt to myself by March
2. Increase emergency fund by another $5k
3. Increase retirement savings to 20% contribution.
4. Stick to my monthly budget
5. Buy less stuff that is unnecessary and does not bring joy...

Since donations are no longer a tax benefit, I will increase my own savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 03:53 AM

4,432 posts, read 2,609,683 times
Well, flyingsaucer,

As you know the last two years weren't really kind to us.

Its lije we bought the new house in fall 2015, and all has gone to hell in a handbasket for us.

So for 2019: keep on keeping on.

With this weather being so cold here in the north, my OH s hours have been limited working with special needs people. Also cut backs at the grocery store haven't helped.

Im not working now, just have my SSDI check, which isnt much.

Our debt from upgrading and improving our house is being paid down, thankfully. Some of it was stupidly on ccs which ive paid off a couple, never to do THAT again. The mistake i made was paying down the house rapidly while financing the improvements, big mistake, should have left mortgage alone and paid cash for the updates. Oh well, youd think I'd know better by now.
But you know how it is when you have a picky OH who has expensive tastes... the " i want this i want that, wouldnt this look good..." and if moma aint happy, aint no one happy. New drapes weren't needed, at least not the expensive custom ones, lol.

Havent spent much last year that wasnt household consumables or vehicle repairs.

This year, with a tighter budget, i still plan to ^ savings though. The emergency fund also got wiped out last year, so need to replenish it.

Good lord willing, and the creeks dont rise, we'll be improving our overall situation with added money in the bank. Even with curtailed hours.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think. But with my/our luck Maybe its a train coming at us!

Old 02-01-2019, 05:02 AM

104 posts, read 38,317 times
2019 Goals

1. Our online business we started 8 wks ago continue as it has.
Better yet, increase in sales but would be more than happy if it continued to produce as it has.
2. The inheritance of 10-15k comes in from my cousin. This may or may not occur.
3. We use 50-60K or so to find a major fixer upper home in our current hometown.
Slowly fix it up, move in, then sell our current home.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:39 AM

3,006 posts, read 4,231,438 times
I feel like I'm in decent shape with my 401k but lagging behind the curve on Roth.

I'd like to kick start that by doing 3 backdoor Roths over the next 12 months.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:48 PM

Hi flying,

I think i want to change my answer.

1) in dec, i paid off our smallest debt. This month ( feb.) I will pay off the next smallest. Last fall I stopped using the credit cards all together. BY april the 3rd smallest should be paid off.

2) we have a side hustle we both will do together, bringing in an extra $600-750 consistently/ month, that will help with the ebbs and flows of choppy hours for my OH.

3) the goal is to pay off the $7300 of small debts we have by years end

4)save $6k more by years end.( $500/m).

5) get the house in some sort of semblance of order for the stuffed basement and garage. Have a garage sale one in spring, one in fall. Divest ourselves of some of the crap weve accumulated in 19 years together. Use proceeds to pay more towards debt.

6) i have a small inheritance coming in spring that will hopefully get us or help get us a new furnace.

Its a bit ambitious considering my OH really isn't guaranteed any hours at either job in reality, but cut hours are back at the one job, making my budget breathe better.

If i can swing it, ill get a new used Awd vehicle to replace my old minivan. May sell it or keep it for hauling schtuff, probably sell it, cheap as it has been a money pit the last 3 years.that may be 2020's job, though.

Thats more hopeful, i think, and can be done.

Ill update you in December and see how well weve accomplished these goals!

Bring it on!

Old 02-02-2019, 07:21 PM

5,146 posts, read 5,093,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Hi flying,

I think i want to change my answer.

1) in dec, i paid off our smallest debt. This month ( feb.) I will pay off the next smallest. Last fall I stopped using the credit cards all together. BY april the 3rd smallest should be paid off.

2) we have a side hustle we both will do together, bringing in an extra $600-750 consistently/ month, that will help with the ebbs and flows of choppy hours for my OH.

3) the goal is to pay off the $7300 of small debts we have by years end

4)save $6k more by years end.( $500/m).

5) get the house in some sort of semblance of order for the stuffed basement and garage. Have a garage sale one in spring, one in fall. Divest ourselves of some of the crap weve accumulated in 19 years together. Use proceeds to pay more towards debt.

6) i have a small inheritance coming in spring that will hopefully get us or help get us a new furnace.

Its a bit ambitious considering my OH really isn't guaranteed any hours at either job in reality, but cut hours are back at the one job, making my budget breathe better.

If i can swing it, ill get a new used Awd vehicle to replace my old minivan. May sell it or keep it for hauling schtuff, probably sell it, cheap as it has been a money pit the last 3 years.that may be 2020's job, though.

Thats more hopeful, i think, and can be done.

Ill update you in December and see how well weve accomplished these goals!

Bring it on!

Sounds good (your goals and your YTD progress!). One of my goals is to pull back (substantially) from social media so I can work on personal finance and in other areas of life so I'm here less often, but I'll be back in December and I hope to hear of your financial successes!

Peace and prosperity...

Old 02-03-2019, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Sounds good (your goals and your YTD progress!). One of my goals is to pull back (substantially) from social media so I can work on personal finance and in other areas of life so I'm here less often, but I'll be back in December and I hope to hear of your financial successes!

Peace and prosperity...
Well the debt is from updates/upgardes to the new house. Still its debt that we can close in on.

I just started really watching Dave Ramsey in all seriousness.

If i can get the debt except the mortgage cleared up this year, then next year we can tackle the mortgage and boost our e-fund.

Im going to focus on advancing our financial position, though ill still pop in here. We are NOT on any other social media except a hobby forum im on.

But good on you to focus too.

The last two years have just been rough on us. This uear and ir next HAVE to be our years!!!

Best of the year to you!!!

Old 02-27-2019, 04:46 AM

4 posts, read 896 times
I am very much optimistic about 2019 as I have planned where I want to invest. At present, Iím investing my earnings gained through my business into different profitable investment options as I feel they are the best ways to get substantial corpus. Furthermore, I have also invested in child savings account for my daughterís future. I have invested in different options to build my personal finance. I would also be opting for a loan to finance the construction of my new home. It looks good at the moment, but I might invest more if needed.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:24 AM

Hi flying!
Since this came to the top, i thought id update you.

Our joint side hustle completely fell through when someone totally reneged on the deal. So back to square one. I even offered an attractive option, but still got reneged on.
I might have a side gig to do, but it remains unseen yet, so I'm not going to count that chicken before it hatches yet. It would only be for the summer, but extra money is extra money.

The small debt, is actually a couple of smaller ones, one more is paid off, and im hoping beyond hope that Saturday when we do our taxes that we dont owe like last year. Sounds easy enough to do, but in this economy here where we are at is a low grade economy, that frankly hasnt kept up with the rest of the country. If our fathers werent here, we'd be out of here and not bought the house here. Hopefully we have updated tye value by updating it, though they say many renos dont always pay off at sale time.

First. The state is not business friendly, but this area is finally seeing we cant survive on the surrounding outlying dairy farms for support of the municipal areas ( and farms are slowly disappearing).

So we just keep plugging along.

And its only February.....

Old 02-27-2019, 05:39 AM

2,711 posts, read 6,264,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
These are my 2019 financial goals so far:
  1. Increase ROTH-IRA contributions - I've already instituted this in my online portal
  2. Pay off house - I'll be moving to a house I currently rent out, and I have the funds to pay it off today but will be waiting till I'm actually moved in to do so
  3. Keep maxing out my work retirement account
  4. Keep contributing to brokerage account with the goal to pay children's future college costs from it
  5. Not take on any debt! Only debt left is mortgage and hopefully that will be done by the end of 2019
I was not expecting it, but I got a 3.7% raise this year!

This may seem crazy, but I'm actually thinking of taking on a car note. I have a paid off 2004 4Runner that works great and "only" 165k miles, but my wife would like a Honda Odyssey. It's not a need as we only have two children, but it would make her life easier. Plus when my parents come to visit for a few months of the year, it would be a lot more convenient. Right now, we have to take multiple cars if we all go out. The raise would be able to pay for the car note, but insurance and car tax would be a little more. So it wouldn't be really be changing my financial posture much.

So I've been price shopping online 5 year old Odysseys with less than 75k miles on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or