U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 07:11 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,855,427 times

Advertisements

This year we plan to remodel our home. Had planned to move but decided against it because our home is paid off and we got it for a great deal.. we would save a lot of money to stay and remodel.

We upped our savings this year that goes to our IRA. This we should of done sooner but happy that it's being done now at least.

We are expecting our first child in October! We thankfully have plenty of time ahead but lots of planning to do. This will surely be changing up our financial goals

Two vacation travel plans this year. One will be a nice vacation before baby comes and other will be to visit family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 05:23 AM

2,711 posts, read 6,265,139 times
Congrats on the growing family! Smart move doing the vacation before the baby. It gets more challenging travelling with little ones.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:56 AM

497 posts, read 1,298,645 times
We are 2/3 done with building our dream house and our last home.. we are early 50’s and so far the house has been built with cash from the sale of our last home. Our hope is our mortgage is under 150$ When we are all done and that we pay it off quickly so I can stop working.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:05 PM

5,153 posts, read 5,098,450 times
So....

My husband and I came to the realization that we just aren't going to be at peace until the damn ($405k) mortgage gets paid off. We are conservative and we just have to work with it. I spent some time with numbers this morning and created a mortgage payoff plan set for spring or summer 2022. I just sold off a portion of our taxable and we will leave the rest alone. We reduced my husband's 401k contributions to getting the employer match. We will max out our 2019 IRAs using part of the stock bonuses and the rest will be channeled into the mortgage as well. The payoff plan should allow me to continue my SEP IRA contributions as well. The heavy lifting of the plan is my husband's stock bonuses so obviously successful implementation requires continued employment for the next three years as well as continued performance of the stock/economy.

Our new goal for 2019 is to get above 50% equity in the home or mortgage principal of about $280k.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:46 PM

3,785 posts, read 1,375,666 times
1. To have atleast $5000 in savings by 6/30 and $10,000 and by 12/30

2. Have my Mastercard down to $500 balance by 6/30 and 0$ balance by 9/30

3. Have my Discover down to $2500 balance by 6/30 and $1500 by 12/30

Old 03-25-2019, 08:38 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Stop giving money to fundraisers etc

I have become disillusioned with this and maybe it is better to teach a person to fish instead of just giving them fish.

My bank account will thank me. LOL

Old 03-25-2019, 09:25 AM

1,809 posts, read 2,086,514 times
Get to $150k in taxable investment accounts by end of year (currently just under $100k).

Fix a couple pressing home maintenance issues (part of roof, plumbing) and remodeling projects (flooring).

Old 03-25-2019, 08:53 PM

2,697 posts, read 1,499,655 times
I may be in a market for a house but i may buy an apartment unit instead.(condo)

Old 03-26-2019, 04:06 AM

4,435 posts, read 2,612,363 times
Well, flying mom:

My OH has 2 jobs, one as grocery store cashier, and one as health care adjunct working with special needs people, which is more lucrative. Neither job comes with any guaranteed hours.
Grocery job got a raise only in that minimum wage increased by $0.70 /hr this year....used to get a raise in june at anniversary, but not since they've been raising minimum wages, no go in June. The compamy is cheap.
The special needs job, got a small raise.

So thats good news. Sort of.

Mortgage taxes went up so payment went up.

I added up the debts...the 7 ccs we charged all the renovations on and the personal loan from the credit union. Was surprised both good and bad about how much we owe. Listed for debt snowball, paid one off already, next month will pay off second, and in 4 months should have 3rd paid off. Im hoping.by years end, if my OH keeps getting the hours has been, we'll be out of all cc debt by years end. It was stupid to charge up the renos while paying cash down on mortgage. Problem is when the college kids come home, hours are cut.
Its also stupid for us to have 7 ccs!!!!
That won't change the cc payoffs planned though.

While doing the cc payoffs, i think we can still save more, and we need to.

Once those 3 ccs are gone, the rest will snowball at a rapid rate. Should have them all paid off by years end. Finally except the big debt from the credit union and the rest of the mortgage, we'll be in so much a better place when winter hours get cut at the grocery again.

If my plan goes well with the curtailed hours austerity budget ive laid out for the year, well be out of all debt by end of next year, if not before, will have boosted savings and we'll see where next years problem spots are.

Of course also stopped using the CCS. Goes without saying.

Best of luck for everyone else's plans.

And hopefully i can fibd a good part time job. Ive gone to interviews but people dont want to hire the guy using a cane.

Not too bad, considering i was homeless when we got together 19 years ago, and my oh just out of bankruptcy.
Never thought I'd be owning a home, for instance, but here we are 3.5 years later, with a half paid for house, in our own home...without wheels!

Last edited by galaxyhi; 03-26-2019 at 04:46 AM..

Old 03-27-2019, 09:15 PM

996 posts, read 385,711 times
Before the year started, I had plans...the largest is already accomplished.

1. Purchase our retirement land. Closed last week!
2. Replace those funds by the end of August, double that by May, 2020. (This is our land prep/drill well/clear building site/build workshop/push in driveway/relocate fund)
3. Enjoy a trip to the Benelux countries w/o overspending. (Pending “soon”)
4. Hope the market doesn’t take any major hits.

Short list. We’re already debt-free so everything we achieve now is just icing on the cake.

And I loves icing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or