U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 06:49 PM

17,113 posts, read 10,069,472 times

Advertisements

No shocker, rent and food are my biggest expenses of the year (car is paid for).

That's why I am thinking of moving somewhere cheaper as I get older, maybe even become an expat.

https://news.yahoo.com/american-hous...154045675.html

Quote:
American households spent an average of $60,060 last year, according to a report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

American consumers spent the most on housing, $19,884, which was a 5.3% increase from the prior year. While the amount spent on rentals didn’t change much, the money spent on owned properties increased by 10.4%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 09:11 PM

2,843 posts, read 1,381,894 times
Get no argument from me, this year was a huge maintenance year for me.

I admire folks who want to move as they get older, I'm the opposite, the older I get the less I want to move. Every thing I love and want is either here or close by. Unfortunately that means I'm staying in a high cost of living zone, lol at 65, 70+ I really don't want to meet new people, make new friends.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:33 PM

5,609 posts, read 8,525,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
No ).

That's why I am thinking of moving somewhere cheaper as I get older, maybe even become an expat.
--154045675.html[/url]
I looked at it, I live on just as little here in the Ozarks though....

Old 01-01-2019, 04:53 AM

23,368 posts, read 17,392,259 times
Not a surprise to anyone.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:31 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,634,350 times
Three costs that I despise but for which I have not found a substitute, or means to prevent:
  • Cable TV
  • Internet
  • Cell Phone

The first item was under $12/month when we got married 40 years ago, and items #2 & #3 did not yet exist. Now the Cable/Internet bill and Cell Phone Bill are our two highest cost utilities - for what? The random opportunity for entertainment?

Old 01-01-2019, 07:20 AM

2,662 posts, read 1,990,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Three costs that I despise but for which I have not found a substitute, or means to prevent:
  • Cable TV
  • Internet
  • Cell Phone

The first item was under $12/month when we got married 40 years ago, and items #2 & #3 did not yet exist. Now the Cable/Internet bill and Cell Phone Bill are our two highest cost utilities - for what? The random opportunity for entertainment?
Over the last 10 years, we just learned to live without the time sink of cable TV. Unfortunately, Internet is the new time sink but choosing the slowest speed option while cheap, can impact video streaming so no solution here unless you can share wireless with a neighbor.

Cellphone is easy. go with a cheap prepaid service for $10 per month. They are out there if you look.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:57 AM

1,926 posts, read 644,713 times
My biggest line item is taxes- 22% of what I spent in 2018. And it looks like I'll owe more when I file 2018. Ouch. Housing (Mortgage plus maintenance) about 10%, charity 25%, Travel 14%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
Cellphone is easy. go with a cheap prepaid service for $10 per month. They are out there if you look.
I have Ting, which uses the Sprint network and it averages less than $20/month- depends on usage. I got rid of cable in favor of Netflix and don't miss cable at all.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:08 AM

793 posts, read 911,865 times
Quote:
  • Cable TV
  • Internet
  • Cell Phone

Very true. I never ditched cable because 90% of what I watch is live sports. I'm not into watching TV series. Now that some options such as sling and YoutubeTV offer live sports I realize I can't ditch cable for two more reasons. #1 I'm more of a channel surfer when I get bored. I'm not going to get bored and say "oh let's continue watching ABC tv series on Netflix and #2 getting a streaming service requires better faster internet. By the time you add it up you're paying the same as cable at least in my case.

My cell phone and internet plans are very affordable at $70 combined. I pay $55 for cable out the door.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:22 AM

12,588 posts, read 13,999,112 times
Quote:
  • Cable TV
  • Internet
  • Cell Phone

I see Americans mention the cost of the above three items over and over.

I left the U.S. in Jan. 2000 and cannot remember what I paid for these things (actually I did not have a cell phone.) But where I live in Europe my cable TV service provider also provides my internet and cell phone service. My monthly package cost is 53.80 euros (tax incl.), which is 62.31 USD at today's conversion rate.

I don't see this as a worrisome amount of money in either euros or dollars, so I am wondering what the charges are in the U.S., and do some cable providers sell a package for all three?

Old 01-01-2019, 08:34 AM

1,926 posts, read 644,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I see Americans mention the cost of the above three items over and over.

<snip> I don't see this as a worrisome amount of money in either euros or dollars, so I am wondering what the charges are in the U.S., and do some cable providers sell a package for all three?
It's gotten pretty crazy. My last cable bills were running $130/month in late 2016 and that included Internet access, programming and a landline. That bill just kept creeping up with more junk fees and surcharges in addition to increases in base rates. People report being able to beat them back down again by threatening to quit the service but I got tired of that game.

Cell phones: I think what kills many people is the contracts in which your phone is "free" but you have to stay on for two years. Essentially you're financing your phone. (I bought mine outright 4.5 years ago.) If you upgrade the 2-year clock starts ticking again. Multiply that times 2 adults and a couple of teenagers, each with his/her own phone and the numbers get serious, especially if you use a lot of data because you're on-line all the time streaming music and videos and playing games. (Some unlimited data plans may be available but they're expensive.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or