Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 09:42 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,801 times

Advertisements

Here’s a question for all you financial gurus. I am trying to decide whether it makes sense to pay off my mortgage at the beginning of 2019. Here are the facts:

The property is my residence. The remaining principal is about $100K. It is a 15 year mortgage at 3%. If I let the mortgage amortize to the end of the 15 years (2027), I will pay about $20K in interest over that time.

I plan to sell within about 2 years and downsize to a smaller property. If I sell at the end of 2020, I will have paid about $7500 in interest up to that time.

The money I would use to pay down the mortgage is currently in a savings account at the credit union earning about 1%.

I also have a ladder of CDs that I could use to put a down payment on a replacement property and the feds have started making me take RMDs from my 401(k) so I won’t be cash poor.

Until now, I’ve had enough deductions to itemize and the mortgage interest has been a big part of it. But with the rewritten tax law it is going to make more sense to take the standard deduction unless I have huge unanticipated medical bills, so I lose any tax advantage to keeping the mortgage.

The way I am looking at this is that even though the 3% interest I’m paying is a screaming good deal, I’m only earning 1% on the savings account, so might as well put that money where it will do me more good. I will also save at least $7500 in interest payments, assuming I sell by the end of 2020. The downside is that I will be less liquid by $100K. It seems that paying the mortgage off is marginally better financially and has a nice psychological kick to it as well.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 09:45 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Here’s a question for all you financial gurus. I am trying to decide whether it makes sense to pay off my mortgage at the beginning of 2019. Here are the facts:

The property is my residence. The remaining principal is about $100K. It is a 15 year mortgage at 3%. If I let the mortgage amortize to the end of the 15 years (2027), I will pay about $20K in interest over that time.

I plan to sell within about 2 years and downsize to a smaller property. If I sell at the end of 2020, I will have paid about $7500 in interest up to that time.

The money I would use to pay down the mortgage is currently in a savings account at the credit union earning about 1%.

I also have a ladder of CDs that I could use to put a down payment on a replacement property and the feds have started making me take RMDs from my 401(k) so I won’t be cash poor.

Until now, I’ve had enough deductions to itemize and the mortgage interest has been a big part of it. But with the rewritten tax law it is going to make more sense to take the standard deduction unless I have huge unanticipated medical bills, so I lose any tax advantage to keeping the mortgage.

The way I am looking at this is that even though the 3% interest I’m paying is a screaming good deal, I’m only earning 1% on the savings account, so might as well put that money where it will do me more good. I will also save at least $7500 in interest payments, assuming I sell by the end of 2020. The downside is that I will be less liquid by $100K. It seems that paying the mortgage off is marginally better financially and has a nice psychological kick to it as well.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks!
Yes, if you tie all your funds up in the property then you will have to sell your first house before buying the second, which means paying moving expenses twice.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:59 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Why not move your money to an online bank like ally and get 2%

Old 12-27-2018, 11:09 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
15 yr @ 3%.

Pay it off...? NO!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2018, 11:37 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post

Have I missed anything?

Thanks!
Pay it off. Unless --- by doing so you don't have enough of an emergency fund.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:49 AM

672 posts, read 442,570 times
Since you're going to move I would say no. Short term CD's are paying over 2%. Get a Fidelity account.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:52 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
The OP taking RMDs so they're at least 70 1/2. They're going to sell in 2 years so, unless they're way higher income than I'm guessing, it hardly matters if they pay it off or not since it's a 3% note. Married and taking the standard deduction, you're still in the 12% bracket at $100K AGI. With 2018 tax law, the OP probably can't itemize. Moving the cash somewhere, the OP might get close to 3%. Income taxes on $3K of interest income in the 12% bracket will be chump change so there's no point worrying about tax avoidance.

Personally, I'd just move the cash parked in a brick & mortar bank to something that pays better. Ally Bank pays 2% for vanilla savings. They pay 2.30% for an 11 month CD product with no penalty for cashing it in. They pay 2.75% for a 1 year CD. Pick some combination of those or go chase higher intro rates elsewhere.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:50 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Since you are intending to sell and only earning 1% on your savings pay off now. No reason to wait until 2019.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:17 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The OP taking RMDs so they're at least 70 1/2. They're going to sell in 2 years so, unless they're way higher income than I'm guessing, it hardly matters if they pay it off or not since it's a 3% note. Married and taking the standard deduction, you're still in the 12% bracket at $100K AGI. With 2018 tax law, the OP probably can't itemize. Moving the cash somewhere, the OP might get close to 3%. Income taxes on $3K of interest income in the 12% bracket will be chump change so there's no point worrying about tax avoidance.

Personally, I'd just move the cash parked in a brick & mortar bank to something that pays better. Ally Bank pays 2% for vanilla savings. They pay 2.30% for an 11 month CD product with no penalty for cashing it in. They pay 2.75% for a 1 year CD. Pick some combination of those or go chase higher intro rates elsewhere.
Thanks everybody & especially Geoff for helping me gain perspective on this. Geoff, you're right: no matter what I do, the amounts of any gains/losses will be pretty minimal. Instead of focusing on the shiny allure of a paid off mortgage, I should be maximizing the return on my cash rather than letting it languish in a low-interest account. I'm investigating CDs and bond funds this weekend.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
No. Don’t pay it off. The interest is deductible. At your rate it’s pointless to pay it off early.
My most current mortgage is 3.25 and I’m not paying it off early
Move the money in a better % rate account
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance