Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 07:44 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's why we chose to live in a mid size metro area. More house, lower property taxes. Our property taxes are around 2 percent of our home value, and we get more house for the money too.
My effective property tax rate is right around 2%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 07:55 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,683 times
I think the American Public is now finding out that this Tax Cut was just a Shell Game. The Increase of some deductions, combined with the removal of some exemptions creates a larger Tax Bill for certain Incomes. Even the slightly lower Tax Brackets won't help too much when it comes time to actually fill out the 1040 Form.

The Witholding Tables were jiggered up last January to give the appearance of a larger paycheck.....surprise !!

Why do you think the do-nothing Congress rushed to pass this Bill ?? It was practically the only thing they accomplished that year !!

Last edited by FiveLoaves; 01-14-2019 at 08:10 AM..

Old 01-14-2019, 09:17 AM

Part of the issue is that far too many people simply don’t understand how this all works. A lot of people think they pay more in fed tax then they actually do, marginal rates vs effective rates are mind boggling

Old 01-14-2019, 09:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I think the American Public is now finding out that this Tax Cut was just a Shell Game. The Increase of some deductions, combined with the removal of some exemptions creates a larger Tax Bill for certain Incomes. Even the slightly lower Tax Brackets won't help too much when it comes time to actually fill out the 1040 Form.

The Witholding Tables were jiggered up last January to give the appearance of a larger paycheck.....surprise !!
... the only thing they accomplished that year !!
yes, as ALWAYS... it was a 'perception problem' for OP (Actually...more $ throughout the yr SHOULD = less OVERPAYMENT (that is a GOOD thing! BTW)..

Tax law did nothing? I take it you are a wage save, not a business owner?
a 'small' benefit...(one of many for businesses)
US Companies Repatriating Billions in Foreign Earnings | The Fiscal Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Part of the issue is that far too many people simply don’t understand how this all works. A lot of people think they pay more in fed tax then they actually do, marginal rates vs effective rates are mind boggling
equally mind boggling... Why would someone WAIT until 2019 to understand what happened to their 2018 tax OBLIGATION?

You really want to figure this stuff out when you can still do something about it!

The new law / numbers tweaked my Effective rate! There is not nearly the latitude to dink with the number to get <5% effective rate (my usual rate). Not with new law... to get below 8% (Effective rate) is very difficult (but was finally possible) figured that out in Nov.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
i don't understand why though. I haven't changed anything on my end. Could my employer have? Salary was almost the same. Fed witholdings was different.
You paid less tax upfront. Therefore, your overpayment is less. Smaller refund.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Why would someone WAIT until 2019 to understand what happened to their 2018 tax OBLIGATION?

Fair point. Most likely because people don’t know there’s a change until they plug in the info into TurboTax

Old 01-14-2019, 10:07 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
You have this exactly backwards. Want bigger refund? Employer needs to withhold MORE.
You are correct.

That still does not change the amount of tax owed.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:15 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Just received our W-2's

Ran it through 2 estimators (taxact and turbo tax)
Noticed the refund was almost half of last years?
Has anyone else noticed this? Is this because of the tax reform?
Tax refund is completely a function of taxes paid in (via withholdings set by your respective W4s) vs. Tax owed (based on income, deductions, etc.).

The tax withholding tables may have changed, but it behooves you to review (perhaps with a tax professional) how much is withheld compared to anticipated taxes owed. There should hardly be many surprises if you are paying attention.

You could simply determine your total burden and divide by the number of pay periods to see if you are in the ball park of where you need to be. For me, the closer to zero owed or refunded, the better, but YMMV.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:07 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
yes, as ALWAYS... it was a 'perception problem' for OP (Actually...more $ throughout the yr SHOULD = less OVERPAYMENT (that is a GOOD thing! BTW)..

Tax law did nothing? I take it you are a wage save, not a business owner?
a 'small' benefit...(one of many for businesses)
US Companies Repatriating Billions in Foreign Earnings | The Fiscal Times

equally mind boggling... Why would someone WAIT until 2019 to understand what happened to their 2018 tax OBLIGATION?

You really want to figure this stuff out when you can still do something about it!

Are you still on here making wild-eyed assumptions about every post ?!?

I simply stated that the American Public is just now beginning to see that the "Biggest Tax Cut Ever" was nothing more than a political stunt. After all the dust settled.....some folks are going to be surprised at what they owe.

The changes to the withholding tables led some people to think their taxes were being reduced significantly -- many of them are now shocked that they are not getting a huge refund, but might actually have to write a check to cover their burden.

Your baseless assumption that I am a wage slave, and not a business owner is wrong on both counts !! And your equally mind-boggling assertion that I waited all year to take action is way off the mark. I had this figured out last February, just as any smart business owner would do. I will not feel the impact that many middle class tax payers are going to be faced with.

There is an expression in the English language that you would do well to try to understand -- It has to do with the word "Assume" and it is very apropos to your posting habits.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:53 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Exactly! The losers in this new tax plan are high earners in blue states.

The Trump administration wanted people to feel the tax cuts they got immediately, so yes, chances are some people will either owe or not get as big a refund. But most middle class people should see a cut in their total tax bill and at the end of the day, THAT'S what's important, not how big of of a refund one gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance