U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 10:45 AM

7,302 posts, read 4,148,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Is it really too much to expect federal employees to have enough savings to go without a pay check or two?
Everyone should have an emergency fund to cover at least 3 months' living expenses, but the majority of Americans (at all income levels) don't. And as several people have pointed out, it takes time to build such a fund, and of course the money may need to be tapped to pay for other emergencies - so even people who are saving prudently may not be able to ride out a loss of income if it happens at the wrong moment.

The furloughed Federal workers don't deserve to be in this situation, and I feel sorry for all of them (even the ones who should have been saving for emergencies but didn't).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 11:04 AM

5,104 posts, read 5,387,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
The number of actual 1099 government contractors is very small. Most of those you see and hear in the media are contracted to a contractor and paid by that contractor.
"TVS is one of almost 10,000 companies that hold contracts with federal agencies affected by the government shutdown, according to an analysis of government contractor data by The Washington Post. The data, although incomplete and frozen by the shutdown, still shows a snapshot of the risk to contractors, their employees and communities. The overall average value of their work: about $200 million a week."

*Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.bff7eaea880a

If there are 10,000 companies that hold contracts with the federal agencies affected by the shutdown, how many additional companies do you think there are for the remaining 83% of the government that is currently open? And how many folks do those 10,000 companies employ? If just 100 employees per, that's a total of 1 million people. It's not a small number.

When the contractor doesn't get paid, the employee doesn't get paid. My husband has worked on and managed government contracts for more than 10-years, so I speak from experience. I know many people who are not getting paid and will not get paid when the government reopens.

Why do you repeatedly try to minimize the effect this shutdown has on contractors?

Last edited by HokieFan; 01-18-2019 at 11:34 AM..

Old 01-18-2019, 11:26 AM

10,058 posts, read 4,651,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Is it really too much to expect federal employees to have enough savings to go without a pay check or two?

Being self employed myself, I know what it is like not to have a guaranteed paycheck every two weeks. You save your money. You sacrifice at times. You just accept this sort of thing as part of what you do. I realize the situation with someone who is an employee is different. They are used to getting a regular check. However, missing one check? Stop coming to me and acting like it is the end of the world.
Why single out federal employees? This applies to everyone doesn't it?

And being self employed, how do you feel if you had to do a job but got told you weren't being paid after performing the work?

Go ahead, get your car fixed but tell the mechanic he did a good job but you won't pay him for a while because you don't feel like it. See how he deals with you.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:34 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,034,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
"TVS is one of almost 10,000 companies that hold contracts with federal agencies affected by the government shutdown, according to an analysis of government contractor data by The Washington Post. The data, although incomplete and frozen by the shutdown, still shows a snapshot of the risk to contractors, their employees and communities. The overall average value of their work: about $200 million a week."

*Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.bff7eaea880a

If there are 10,000 companies that hold contracts with the federal agencies affected by the shutdown, how many additional companies do you think there are for the remaining 83% of the government that is currently open? And how many folks do those 10,000+ companies employ? If just 100 employees per company, that's a total of 1 million people. It's not a small number.

When the contractor doesn't get paid, the employee doesn't get paid. My husband has worked on and managed government contracts for more than 10-years, so I speak from experience. I know many people who are not getting paid and will not get paid when the government reopens.

Why do you repeatedly try to minimize the effect this shutdown has on contractors?

Just to add to this truth, a contract that takes a day to close with the shutdown, could take over a month to reopen after the government opens up again. So those contract workers have to wait, some up to another month, after the government opens up to start working again.

I was offered a job at a local contractor's office, I turned it down (they seemed very rigid with schedules and while the pay was better than what I make now, that same pay seemed too unreliable for my tastes... even when the fed isn't shut down).

Old 01-18-2019, 11:37 AM

10,058 posts, read 4,651,831 times
If the contract somehow expires during shutdown, they have to rebid on it too?

Old 01-18-2019, 12:21 PM

9,172 posts, read 16,637,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
A little empathy goes a long way...
So does a little unemployment insurance, which furloughed employees can collect while they're off work just like private-sector employees subject to cyclical layoffs.

The furlough isn't the life-changing disaster the media is making it out to be. It's just another political football.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:33 PM

1,183 posts, read 760,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Only about a quarter of the government is shut down. The biggest spender, the Pentagon, is unaffected since their spending bill was already approved like much of the government. It is like many past shutdowns. They will close down services that directly interact with the public to leverage the partial shutdown for political purposes. They should just take some of the money out of the departments and agencies that have been funded and reopen the rest of the government.
that's not how things work

Old 01-18-2019, 01:23 PM

6,875 posts, read 7,270,643 times
Quote:
So does a little unemployment insurance, which furloughed employees can collect while they're off work just like private-sector employees subject to cyclical layoffs.
I've been told that employees who must still work, but aren't getting paid, are not eligible for unemployment. (Because....they are not unemployed.)

Old 01-18-2019, 01:55 PM

4,815 posts, read 1,210,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I had 3 or 4 months of savings in the bank and was feeling pretty good as a recent college grad who had just used a few months savings to relocate for my first job, and then I was diagnosed with cancer. Those 3 or 4 months of savings were gone in a matter of weeks, despite having what is considered excellent insurance.

It's been almost 8 years since my diagnosis and I still have not saved up a 6 month emergency fund, though I would be able to go a few months without a paycheck assuming my health remained OK and I had no other major issues. Thank G-d I don't have student loans, or that would be a whole other thing.

More than half of America wouldn't have $400 at hand for an emergency. Is it so hard to believe that government workers - many of whom have to live in some of the most expensive parts of the country due to their jobs - would be struggling?

Many of my cancer survivor friends seek government positions for the stability, despite making less money in doing so. Veterans have the highest priority for government jobs. My guess is many of the people who are hurting are early in their career, perhaps with young families (and if you think you can just take your kid out of daycare at the drop of a hat, HAH), and likely with student loans. Savings are something that take time even in the best of circumstances.
Aww...I am sorry. I hope you are doing ok now. Cancer so young. SO unfair. (I am a survivor as well but I am old.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:59 PM

4,815 posts, read 1,210,739 times
I have ALWAYS put a little aside for a slush fund. NO MATTER WHAT. Why? Because as a kid, I saw money = freedom. My mom and dad got divorced. She had no money. He did. Then, I saw my grandparents. He had a business. She had no job ever. So when I was in college (and I was lucky because college was cheap then and my dad paid my way) I sneaked and got a job and saved up money while going to school because I knew if my dad found out, he would just deduct that money from my allowance. When I graduated, I moved to California. I knew if I lived off someone else, they were in charge of my life. THAT'S why I always had money set aside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance