U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 07:55 AM

10,009 posts, read 4,604,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Personally I would advise all Federal Employees not to spend a dime of their money and, when the money runs out... default. Imagine the damage to the economy if 800,000 employees all defaulted on their loans?

Yes, that is all lies. Not only is it just Navy Federal people but there are conditions on getting it. Finally it is only $5000 maximum and only for 60 days. Utterly useless.
$5000 for one missed paycheck so far, see if they get another loan for the 2nd missed paycheck this Friday

but the federal courts run out of funding at the end of the month. Snap programs don't have March funding either. The poor already lost their HUD funding so soon they will be without food too.

Farmers are out their funding, and spring is coming up so they need to start buying seeds soon or they miss planting window
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 08:31 AM

6,794 posts, read 3,680,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Only about a quarter of the government is shut down. The biggest spender, the Pentagon, is unaffected since their spending bill was already approved like much of the government. It is like many past shutdowns. They will close down services that directly interact with the public to leverage the partial shutdown for political purposes. They should just take some of the money out of the departments and agencies that have been funded and reopen the rest of the government.
They can't do that. The Constitution provides that money can only be spent on those things appropriated by Congress. That means if Congress does not appropriate the money for X, the government cannot just move money from Y to pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
It's a little difficult to have compassion here for govt workers who make 2x the going rate that their job would command in the private sector, are entitled to obscenely extravagant retirement packages which they can draw while still young enough to get another job (often another govt job) and thus eventually collect double pensions....Add to that the security of a job in which it's practically impossible to get fired from.

They are not working "for free."-- The payment of their wages is merely delayed-- a situation many of us in small contract businesses regularly deal with when payments are not received until the job is completed.

BTW-- those govt workers now receiving unemployment benefits---will they have to pay them back when they do finally get their back wages?
Oh my God, there is so much wrong and ignorant here I don't even know where to begin. Government workers do NOT make 2x the going rate. Where the heck do people even begin to get these beliefs? The typical government worker makes less than the average even because the average is pulled up by the few at higher pay grades. "Obscenely extravagant" retirement? You have got to be kidding me. And no one is drawing pension while young enough to get another job unless you consider starting a new career at 60+ young. I am so sick of the lies and misinformation being spewed about government work.

As for unemployment, those required to work without pay cannot apply for unemployment. Those not required to report can apply for unemployment but must pay it back. And let's clear up another thing before we go. Most of these employees cannot take other work or part time jobs without getting management approval and an ethics clearance. Which is hard to get when the office is closed. Yep, that's right, most government employees cannot even do things the private sector does routinely because it might, somehow, someway, to some unreasonable person, be called a conflict of interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
GS is not management but can come in at 136k - base only.

Being able to tell someone is middle class by seeing them on TV is a skill you should market!
Just because the top level might get that does not mean most are anywhere close to that. That's one of those bad comparisons that so many like to make that's just wrong.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:33 AM

3,246 posts, read 1,622,697 times
Quote:
GS is not management but can come in at 136k - base only.

Being able to tell someone is middle class by seeing them on TV is a skill you should market!
You may be right. I was just going by the highest pay level that you can see online. I was just saying that the top level government salaries in the highest pay level, GS 15, with salaries averaging about $150K is not much compared to physicians, consultants, lawyers, CPAs, etc who are at the highest level in their field.

I was trying to make the point that even those with salaries greater than even the top government employees could still be hurting financially with unexpected financial setbacks like a shutdown. The fact that the average government employee doesn't even make what a GS15 does, means they are hurting even more.

I make more than most GS 15s, but up until recently still was paying off a large student loan debt (and maxing out retirement savings, rent, all the other monthly expenses); so missing a few monthly pay checks would have really hurt me.

Just saying, that the average government worker is not rolling in money, so it is unrealistic to expect them to have a bunch of savings to deal with the uncertainty of a long government shutdown.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:47 AM

10,009 posts, read 4,604,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
You may be right. I was just going by the highest pay level that you can see online. I was just saying that the top level government salaries in the highest pay level, GS 15, with salaries averaging about $150K is not much compared to physicians, consultants, lawyers, CPAs, etc who are at the highest level in their field.
GS-15... and being compared to physicians/consultants/lawyers... bet they are crying at night.

GS-15 would be a colonel by army rank, or in private sector, they are the CEO/CFO/etc. find an average CPA at your company and tell him sit at the CFO desk ^^

Old 01-20-2019, 09:17 AM

6,794 posts, read 3,680,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
GS-15... and being compared to physicians/consultants/lawyers... bet they are crying at night.

GS-15 would be a colonel by army rank, or in private sector, they are the CEO/CFO/etc. find an average CPA at your company and tell him sit at the CFO desk ^^
An even more dramatic comparison is take an SES or 4 Star and compare them to the CEO of an equivalent sized company. Say the 4 Star in AFMC; $170K vs $10M+stock options. What a bargain.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:24 AM

35,219 posts, read 10,406,691 times
=galaxyhi;54187932]Markg,

Would it hurt you to have a little compassion?

How is it affecting you directly?

In the 80s young strong and lithe, i amassed $75k in savings, and had a $15k emergency fund. Plus had retirement. I worked 2 jobs and attended college full time ( exhausting). In a high col area.

Then 1990 recession came , i was eliminated from one job, and reduced to a whole 10 hours at my other job.

Then i also moved. Through 2 states looking for jobs. Ended up boomeranged back "home" to a very low economy.

Then i also started having medical problems, involving medical procedures and surgeries. I spent 8 months out of one year solidly in the hospital. Hard to keep a job and health insurance.

I blew through all my savings and retirement. I ended up homeless and family would not help. I ended up on welfare after being homeless.

Point being: you don't know what their life is or how its going for them.

True all "should have" at minimum a 3 month e fund, but it can take a year, two or more to save that.

Right now i cant save much of anything. Im now on SSDI, my spouse has two jobs. Neither of which teally has any guaranteed hours. Last week? My OH got 1 shift. This week 3, next week finally back up to 5, hopefully for a couple of months.

Although i try to save as little as $0.25 out of an hours pay of net, that aint building any savings very quickly.
1 shift isnt going to pay the bills. This is a low economy here, minimum wage based. Heck even LPNs can only earn about $14/hr. Our minimum wage is now $11.10/,hr.

Also our property taxes went up up 10% so our mortgage went up thusly. We also owed at escrow cleanup instead also. So i had to cut a check to mortgage company. Totally unexpected. Escrow always met its goals in the past.

We needed 2 sets of new tires, 8 sets of new breaks and more, and the 2 vehicles are paid for. That took a big bite and a portion we are still paying on. My minivan 12 years old , nickel and dimed us to death last year.

So s**t happens while you are living life.

There is an old native American saying:" grant that i may not criticize my neighbor until i have walked a mile in his moccasins".

It would do you some good to think on that statement for a while.

Not all if them will get back pay!

Glad life is all sunshine rainbows and lollipops for you markg, others are in the sewer swimming in a pool of s%#t.

Best to the Gov't workers affected by the whims of one man and one party.

[/quote]

Not "one party." BOTH parties.

Compassion is good, for there are any number of unforeseen hardships or circumstances which can befall individuals/families, and render them unprepared. But so is fairness, so take off the partisan blinders.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:20 PM

13,144 posts, read 17,701,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

I was trying to make the point that even those with salaries greater than even the top government employees could still be hurting financially with unexpected financial setbacks like a shutdown. The fact that the average government employee doesn't even make what a GS15 does, means they are hurting even more.

I make more than most GS 15s, but up until recently still was paying off a large student loan debt (and maxing out retirement savings, rent, all the other monthly expenses); so missing a few monthly pay checks would have really hurt me.

Just saying, that the average government worker is not rolling in money, so it is unrealistic to expect them to have a bunch of savings to deal with the uncertainty of a long government shutdown.
Add 20% cola and some fringe benefits and it adds up.
Sorry but your student loans indicate that you made some not so wise decisions and that a couple of lean months would hurt you does not show much improvement.
I know what SO and the rest of his team make, most of them in second careers, most no degree. Well, his industry training would have paid for a nice degree.
If you spend you do not safe and that at any income level.
Having worked with transitioning professionals for almost 20 years. Some income figures floating around are pure imagination.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:24 PM

3,246 posts, read 1,622,697 times
Quote:
Add 20% cola and some fringe benefits and it adds up.
Sorry but your student loans indicate that you made some not so wise decisions and that a couple of lean months would hurt you does not show much improvement.
I know what SO and the rest of his team make, most of them in second careers, most no degree. Well, his industry training would have paid for a nice degree.
If you spend you do not safe and that at any income level.
Having worked with transitioning professionals for almost 20 years. Some income figures floating around are pure imagination.
No, my student loans were not a bad decision. They have afforded me with a very good career, and very nice salary. I did elect to pay them down faster, and contributed way than the minimum monthly payment. Because of that, I did not have a lot of disposable income for a few years and it took a while to reap the benefits of a large investment.

How have you managed to work with transitioning professionals for over 20 years with such awful grammar and writing? Maybe not taking out more student loans was a not-so-wise decision by YOU

Old 01-20-2019, 03:07 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,947,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
It's a little difficult to have compassion here for govt workers who make 2x the going rate that their job would command in the private sector, are entitled to obscenely extravagant retirement packages which they can draw while still young enough to get another job (often another govt job) and thus eventually collect double pensions....Add to that the security of a job in which it's practically impossible to get fired from.
I'm a government employee, but not federal (county) - and I most certainly do NOT earn 2x what I'd earn in the private sector! There aren't too many private-sector positions in my field, but the ones I've seen actually pay well OVER what we make in the public libraries. And school librarians make even less than we do, since they get more vacation time.

As for our "retirement packages," in my case that's a state pension which I also contribute to, and definitely cannot collect before retirement age. I could collect "early" at age 50 instead of 55, but it would be at a significant loss (around 40%). So basically nobody does that, since you only have to wait another 5 years to get your full pension. And despite what some sources might have you believe, our pensions aren't exorbitant either. I'll be getting around $4000/mo + an additional ~$700 for the first 12 years, which will be maybe 60% of my highest gross earnings. Not exactly the 6-figure numbers people love to throw around, which only apply to the very top of the food chains.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:03 PM

954 posts, read 367,234 times
We’ve reached out to five friends who might have been impacted by the shutdown with offers of loans to tide them over. If you know of someone who might be impacted and can offer assistance, reach out to them. They may be too proud to ask for assistance and even if they don’t need it, they will appreciate your thoughtfulness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance