U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2019, 07:24 AM

7,143 posts, read 4,076,668 times

Advertisements

I'm still waiting for my employer to issue a 1095C. Once that's done, everything's ready to go off to my accountant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 07:31 AM

1,131 posts, read 510,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I believe self-employed, filling schedule C, you are still getting the same break, which seems unfair that you are not allowed itemized expenses for exemption. The whole omitting of personal exemptions doesn't benefit anyone other than government holding onto more $$ so how does that make the new changes better than before?
I'm still not sure what it is your preparer told you. Individuals can still itemize deductions. The deduction for state and local taxes is capped at $10k and unreimbursed business expenses for employees was eliminated. The standard deduction was raised to $12k for single filers ($24k MFJ). If your itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction, you're still permitted the higher deduction.

Personal exemptions were eliminated.

Self-employed individuals who file a schedule C can deduct business expenses same as before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
The base 12K is for the basic necessities and that it still there. I don't understand the last question. Why would the state and local taxes have to be same or follow the same logic as the Federal?

Regardless, as I mentioned before, there was no such change with CA state calculations as I am getting about the same (a little more due to income increase).

I really would like to know how and what percentage of the people are actually benefiting from the new tax laws.

Most everyone I spoke to is in the same situation as I am or worse of, hence my previous question.
The comment about state and local taxes was made because it sounded like you were taking exception to not being able to deduct all of your state and local taxes like you used to. If you weren't intimating that, I apologize.

As for CA not changing their tax system, that's irrelevant in a discussion about federal taxes. And as an aside, the refund amount isn't important in a discussion about tax systems anyway, the amount of your tax liability is what matters.

As for how many are benefiting from the new law, the estimates I've heard are 80 percent of taxpayers would see a benefit and 5 percent would see an increase in their tax liability. Doesn't surprise me that people you're talking to are worse off, they probably all live in CA and have a large state and local tax deduction that got cut.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:39 AM

2,672 posts, read 6,233,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energystream View Post
Just out of curiosity but also to stay somewhat consistent. Are people using AGI to determine effective tax, or are they using everything they have earned including at pretax deductions?
Turbo Tax does it for you automatically and I double checked they are using AGI and those are the numbers I posted.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:55 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,148,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energystream View Post
Just out of curiosity but also to stay somewhat consistent. Are people using AGI to determine effective tax, or are they using everything they have earned including at pretax deductions?

You should be using gross income for that calculation. If you use AGI, you are double counting and it is not accurate.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:40 AM

70,661 posts, read 71,108,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
You should be using gross income for that calculation. If you use AGI, you are double counting and it is not accurate.
to compare this year effective tax rate to last year i use agi .... amounts of income vary so if agi is in the same bracket you can get a clear picture based on the same standard . unless there is something special that is being eliminated from agi .

Old 03-04-2019, 08:42 AM

8,840 posts, read 7,627,988 times
Done and filed electronically via Turbo Tax. Refund electronically deposited 3 weeks after filing.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:55 AM

936 posts, read 362,645 times
Income was up by almost 11%, adjusted income, +10%, federal taxes paid were down by 5.1 percentage points. The tax rate dropped by 2.6%. I expect that 2019 will also be a pretty good year for us before the bottom drops out when I retire. lol

Old 03-04-2019, 01:57 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,148,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
to compare this year effective tax rate to last year i use agi .... amounts of income vary so if agi is in the same bracket you can get a clear picture based on the same standard . unless there is something special that is being eliminated from agi .
Turbo tax is using gross income.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:49 PM

70,661 posts, read 71,108,484 times
Quote:
i was curious as to how we compared to last year . i just took taxes divided by agi ...it told me all i needed to know . i paid 1% less this year as an effective rate

Old 03-04-2019, 04:58 PM

1,131 posts, read 510,419 times
Quote:
Quote:
Ok, hang tight. Apparently, AGI and gross are the same thing. But there is a line for adjustments to income of which I have none. I have to figure it out.
If your Total (not gross, as TaxPhd astutely pointed out to me) and AGI are the same, you wouldn't know which # TurboTax uses for the denominator. Having a $13k IRA contribution deduction in 2018 which gets deducted from Total Income to get to AGI, I can confirm that TurboTax is using AGI when calculating what they call your effective tax rate on the Tax History Report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance