U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2019, 07:13 AM

1,036 posts, read 788,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
an old friend is supposed to be sentenced next week for filing false tax returns ... they own one of the largest car dealerships in america and pleaded guilty to over 3 million in false returns for just one year ...

we were best friends back in the 1970's .

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...lea-1.20114636
The father of one of the lab techs at my alma mater owned a car dealership. She obviously was not working there for the money as even the professors were not well paid at the time. She eventually quit and went to grad school. We thought she had it made. Years later, her father faced charges of bankruptcy and tax fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 07:27 AM

1,036 posts, read 788,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I finally stopped dragging my feet and finished mine. Fed re-design is really stupid, had to file the 1040, three numbered schedules, and Schedule C, as well as a few other sheets. Most of them half empty, one sided. I am one of the 33% that do my taxes myself, and one of the 10% that still sends in a paper return. Yep, I'm old and old-fashioned.

However I think I will be getting money back on both fed and state, not having paid any money in.
I am also an old and old-fashioned person who does their own taxes and mails in a paper return. After my father died, I had to start doing my mom's complicated taxes. I ended up taking the HR Block tax course.

Even though my mom is in a nursing home with dementia, I am not looking forward to her death. I am looking forward to dividing the trust and simplifying the investments, however.

My federal form required the addition of Schedule 1 for my Schedule E income, but otherwise was not bad. I had neither state political donations nor savings bond sales to declare, so the state income tax form was one page. I also had to fill out the SD100 school district income tax form. Since my part-time retirement job does not have overtime, I neither paid nor owed on the SD100.

The federal and state governments could use JavaScript on the PDF fill-in forms to do many of the calculations. I wrote to my state representative about this for the Ohio forms (the state and SD100 forms could easily be combined). He totally did not get it. I think that despite having a master's degree, he neither has programming experience nor does his own taxes.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:31 AM

13,252 posts, read 6,351,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I finally stopped dragging my feet and finished mine. Fed re-design is really stupid, had to file the 1040, three numbered schedules, and Schedule C, as well as a few other sheets. Most of them half empty, one sided. I am one of the 33% that do my taxes myself, and one of the 10% that still sends in a paper return. Yep, I'm old and old-fashioned.

However I think I will be getting money back on both fed and state, not having paid any money in.
I still do that, only paper for me.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:59 AM

6,613 posts, read 1,367,599 times
Did mine and mailed it March 1st, and received my refund by check yesterday. (YAY!)

Yes, I thought the forms were a pain, but I did ours by myself for the first time in years, so I was a bit nervous as far as doing them correctly. (Nothing weird, but we had my social security checks and a small pension, in addition to my husband's full-time job earnings and my part-time job.)

Can anyone tell me that if we were going to be audited, would they have held back the refund check? (I'm not worried -- we haven't been audited ever, in over 40 years, knock wood -- but i"m just wondering.)

Old 04-02-2019, 01:06 PM

13,252 posts, read 6,351,451 times
I found out 2 mistakes from TT. One saves me money, the other costs me money. The end result is a wash. So I’m nearly done. This week should be to check for fine details.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:18 PM

1,155 posts, read 528,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Can anyone tell me that if we were going to be audited, would they have held back the refund check? (I'm not worried -- we haven't been audited ever, in over 40 years, knock wood -- but i"m just wondering.)
Getting your refund check has no bearing on whether or not you'll be audited. Given the low rate of audits any more, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless there was something extraordinarily different in your return this year from prior years.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:08 AM

5,459 posts, read 3,766,871 times
Just did mine, the refund was about half of what it would have been normally. If our family income increases as expected - we will have to pay in next year. I will try and hound my wife to change her W-4 exemption to "0" (currently has it "1") but she is loathe to do that. But I hate paying in.

Given the lower amount deducted from our paychecks, it is probably a wash... but I actually like the forced savings aspect of getting a good refund. I am better at saving a portion of a windfall then I am taking out a percentage of a small monthly amount.

The streamlined deductions screwed me pretty badly, especially getting rid of a lot of job related expense deductions. Overall, a wash or slight negative, and when the breaks phase out I will definitely be worse off than before.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:51 AM

38,039 posts, read 55,833,861 times
Finally did mine - IRS did it for me like every year since 2002. Got unexpectedly high return.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:38 AM

5,253 posts, read 5,181,278 times
I owe a lot of money. I know my primary job was at a zero withholding but I can't recall if my two part-time jobs were not---I went from one to the other---it might've been at one instead of zero. The part-time job put me over into the next "bracket" according to the accountant and that apparently caused a big deficiency, probably not even worth having the second job, TBH. I owe more than double than last year and I wish that was because my salary doubled.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:13 AM

2,112 posts, read 724,871 times
Over $7K in checks ready to be mailed out. That's what I owe on Federal, what I owe on state, plus Q1 Estimates for both, which of course have to be sent to different PO Boxes than the returns. My income is all SS, a couple of small pensions and investment income, so nothing withheld.

I dated everything 4/10 so will mail them on Wednesday- don't want to be one of those people crowding into the Post Office at the last minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance