Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 11:05 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,820,966 times

Advertisements

For almost 50-years, my wife has paid the bills - and I'm happy to have her do it and don't complain about how she does it. Instead of pure 'auto-pay', she likes to schedule payments on Quicken and then approve them for payment when they come-in. Checks and cash as forms of bill payment are almost obsolete in our approach.

Things are getting to the point, where I'm going to have to take over bill-paying (eyesight). I plan to schedule everything to pay via a credit card ... and then to make one/two CC payments per month via online payment. That way, I can still get things paid on time, verify proper billing/ payment, yet, not have to make individual bill payments ... and also control unscheduled payments such as subscriptions, etc.. (It looks like several on this thread are already doing that). -- Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 11:14 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,974,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I plan to schedule everything to pay via a credit card ... and then to make one/two CC payments per month via online payment. That way, I can still get things paid on time, verify proper billing/ payment, yet, not have to make individual bill payments ... and also control unscheduled payments such as subscriptions, etc.. (It looks like several on this thread are already doing that). -- Am I missing something?
No. That's how a lot of us pay most or all of our bills.

To me, the term "autodraft" means a payment that is pulled directly from a person's bank account. Billed automatically to a credit card is entirely different (and much safer).

Old 02-05-2019, 11:49 AM

1,969 posts, read 2,232,568 times
Autopay cautionary tale:

I had my natural gas bill on ACH (bank debit) autopay at my previous home in Connecticut. Usual winter bills were $500 or so for heating. Summer bills around $30 or so.

One autumn day, I noticed the gas company truck out front, and I gently asked what they were doing. Installing a "smart" meter was the answer. Somehow, the final reading from my old meter was not recorded in their billing system, so the new reading (starting at 00001) was instead used to calculate my usage, implying that the whole series of meter counters had turned over, like an old odometer (a huge amount of gas). I was unaware of any of this at the time, because I also was enrolled in paperless billing -- didn't even open the electronic invoice until the following happened....

Several weeks later, I'm at an ATM, taking out some cash, and I notice my balance is WAY below what I expected. I phone the bank, and they tell me that the gas company had recently debited my account by twenty something thousand dollars!

I put this all together, spend about four hours on the phone with the gas company, and get the thing straightened out. Needless to say, I could have bounced a lot of checks if I hadn't noticed this. The gas company over-nighted me a check for the whole overcharge, and I believe that in the confusion, one month of gas was somehow "written off," but the episode was a real shock.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:13 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,974,197 times
^^^Your story is why I really limit autopay from my bank account. SNAFUs such as the one you are describing are more easily fixed when a credit card has been billed instead of the money withdrawn from your bank account! (Ditto getting a company to stop autopay of a service you no longer want. It's easier to cancel a credit card and open up a new one than to close a bank account to stop an unwanted auto-withdrawal for a service you're trying to discontinue.)

Old 02-05-2019, 02:33 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,406,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Autopay cautionary tale:

I had my natural gas bill on ACH (bank debit) autopay at my previous home in Connecticut. Usual winter bills were $500 or so for heating. Summer bills around $30 or so.

One autumn day, I noticed the gas company truck out front, and I gently asked what they were doing. Installing a "smart" meter was the answer. Somehow, the final reading from my old meter was not recorded in their billing system, so the new reading (starting at 00001) was instead used to calculate my usage, implying that the whole series of meter counters had turned over, like an old odometer (a huge amount of gas). I was unaware of any of this at the time, because I also was enrolled in paperless billing -- didn't even open the electronic invoice until the following happened....

Several weeks later, I'm at an ATM, taking out some cash, and I notice my balance is WAY below what I expected. I phone the bank, and they tell me that the gas company had recently debited my account by twenty something thousand dollars!

I put this all together, spend about four hours on the phone with the gas company, and get the thing straightened out. Needless to say, I could have bounced a lot of checks if I hadn't noticed this. The gas company over-nighted me a check for the whole overcharge, and I believe that in the confusion, one month of gas was somehow "written off," but the episode was a real shock.
That's my big concern. I guess Netflix is autocharged to a debit card but the stakes are low there. I've heard of what you describe, also people stealing electricity and water, or nightmares with a "smartmeter" on the water, etc...

Old 02-05-2019, 02:58 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,722,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
For utilities, why don't you just do levelized billings? That way, it's the same amount every month. We've done that for years without a hitch. And, truthfully, if you have unlimited data packages on your mobile, you aren't going to have much variation in that either.
I have EVERYTHING on auto-draft and/or auto-pay. My gas and electric are on levelized billing and my credit cards are set up to pay the minimum every month just in case I forget to make a regular payment. I have not written a check in over 8 years. I don't even have checks with my new credit union.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:12 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,798,691 times
Well, everything that I can except credit card, which is just the mortgage, utilities, and car payment. Everything else like internet goes to the credit card, which I manually pay online.

I would have the other things on my credit card, but they charge extra.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:29 PM

32,914 posts, read 36,300,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Autopay cautionary tale:

Woo hoo! That would have bounced my account so hard that it broke. I keep only enough in my checking account to cover monthly expenses. I transfer it from my savings account with the same bank. I write a check from a different bank/account to add money to that.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:43 PM

6,766 posts, read 5,479,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I have EVERYTHING on auto-draft and/or auto-pay. My gas and electric are on levelized billing and my credit cards are set up to pay the minimum every month just in case I forget to make a regular payment. I have not written a check in over 8 years. I don't even have checks with my new credit union.
I have 2 bills that charge you an extra $ 10 if you pay by any means other than a check. I don't see why. A phone ach payment doesnt require a human, but they claim it does, and requires you chat with a human for that extra $10 in one case.

One is a credit card, the other a utility ( of sorts) bill.

Ill pay by check, thank you. That extea $20/m is $240 a year i save by writing a check, free checks from my credit union.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:50 PM

6,766 posts, read 5,479,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Because if the system you are paying into, say your utility company, gets hacked the hackers have access to your banking information and they can drain your bank account.
Just what I said.

Had it happen to us, causing bounced checks when we got billed WEEKLY for a MONTHLY utility bill.

Also had our checking account drained once using a debit card to pay a bill.
Someone got ahold of the number.

No more.

I will do a ach phone payment, unless they charge extra.

Also payvhecks are every 2 weeks for one job we have, was the 4th and 18th of jan, but will be the 8th and 22nd of feb, causing the funds to arrive at a different time each month. So i can control the ach payment if i phone it in when the funds are in and cleared when i want, but never late.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance