Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 09:23 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
The trend is to buy expensive depreciating items to make themselves appear larger than they are. This pea cocking behavior should be outlawed. We have enough data on people now to identify their habits and prevent this from happening.
My life sure would be simpler if we could weed out the idiots and greedy from society.
Ugh. And then there's the 'holier then thou's'.
This is not a TREND. The VAST majority of people are not buying cars they can't afford... to peacock.

Ugh... I need to stop hanging out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 09:31 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,236,953 times
It's probably mostly people who bought more vehicle than they can afford (likely pickup trucks).

New trucks are now what I'd consider exotic toys for the uber wealthy.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:39 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This is not a TREND. The VAST majority of people are not buying cars they can't afford... to peacock.

Yup and yup. Exhausting isn't it?

Old 02-14-2019, 09:45 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,012 times
I don't get the whole leasing or financing angle to car ownership. Work to hard to have that much of my money depreciating in value.

Just buy, with cash, what you can afford. If thats a $3k car then so be it. I have a 2000 Buick Century we bought for $3k 4 years ago. Only replaced tires and wipers. A fantastic car.

If you are planning on paying $400 a month for a car, then just buy a used car but keep putting $400 a month into savings. The difference is your paying yourself. Then sell the used car and after 12 months you will have $8k for a better used car. Just do that again another 12 months and now you can get a $15k car. In two - three years you can buy outright a $20k car. No payments and the car will last ten years and your money appreciated rather then went to interest. I have done this over and over again.

There is a reason that banks are in larger buildings then your home.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:52 AM

949 posts, read 571,793 times
Quote:

I don't care if you come here or not, but there is plenty of evidence that indicates the auto industry subprime situation is equal to the 2008 housing subprime problem.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:34 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
It's probably mostly people who bought more vehicle than they can afford (likely pickup trucks).

New trucks are now what I'd consider exotic toys for the uber wealthy.
The majority of those 7 million are subprime borrowers (credit score below 620). They obviously bought more vehicle than they can afford, or they wouldn't be behind on the loan, but the banks also extended credit to people who already had crummy credit and a history of not paying their bills on time.

Plenty of blame to go around, just as there was in 2008.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:52 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
How is a blind spot monitor going to be obsolete in 3 years? Backup camera? Smart braking? Radar Cruise Control? Lane departure assist?

Some seriously uniformed people in this thread. Not to even mention 75K for 25K car guy.
I was mostly referring to the infotainment stuff that pairs with a smartphone, then in a few years people will have the latest new phone and that ‘old’ infotainment system will be dated. Time to trade for a new model.

Even with those things you mentioned, something better will come along that people want, it always does.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:57 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
4.5% in default doesn't really seem like "everybody" now does it. Not exactly worth getting into an uproar.

I'm so far ahead on my payment I can stop paying for a few months if I choose to. Where's my article?

Old 02-14-2019, 10:59 AM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I was mostly referring to the infotainment stuff that pairs with a smartphone, then in a few years people will have the latest new phone and that ‘old’ infotainment system will be dated. Time to trade for a new model.

Even with those things you mentioned, something better will come along that people want, it always does.
Sure, just like the 8-track it will eventually become obsolete. But unlike the 8-track, Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto can be updated for many years without requiring a hardware change. As they are just a specification of a communication protocol. Can still update your phone no problem.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:07 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times
Yup! Life happenstances can occur when you least expect it.

I've been in that role of losing a car due to lost wages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance