Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 07:53 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
Thank you everybody!

I was on the phone with my bank & H credit card company. My H has to call back again. My concern is if my husband lack providing detail information on who he think did this. We live in Canada and the fraudulent person did this in Florida (we think) for sure in the USA.
Bank/credit card company has access to the individual transactions. Have your husband file an official fraud charge. Some companies accept a phone call and issue a case number immediately. Ask how to proceed. Make a list of places/witnesses H was when the charges were made. Have him request closing the card number and issuing him a clean card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 07:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 7,724,981 times
This seems so strange - are Canadian banks so different than US banks?

You simply file chargebacks on each charge, disputing that you purchased the items, cancel the card and get a new one.

The credit card company will investigate and ask the company to provide proof that you purchased the items, if they can't, they will have to return the funds.

I have NEVER heard of a credit card company saying you had to pay for fraudulent charges - that is outrageous.

Even when my husband's debit card was compromised, while it was in his pocket, we were able to get the funds back, even though it took a few days.

Now, the other thought is that your husband bought items online or over the phone and that is why they are saying he needs to pay. Is that possible?

Old 02-28-2019, 09:07 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
The last time I had a card compromised, it turned out that the third party service that processes credit card payments for my county's water-sewer service had been hacked, so the fraud point can happen in many different places.

I found out when my Florida-based self got text and phone messages from American Express asking about a bunch of small test charges, including someone using a card cloned from mine to buy breakfast at a Tim Horton's in Toronto. I think it took about half an hour for their fraud department to go through the attempted charges and cancel them out and I got a new card with a different number in two business days.

IMO, that's how the system is supposed to work and the banking differences between the two countries shouldn't be enough to make it so different up there.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:19 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Whoever told you H that he is responsible for paying fraudulent charges is a complete idiot. One of the whole purposes of having a credit card is to guard against fraud. If they continue to assert this you need to involve whoever regulates the banks in Canada. There is no reason to declare bankruptcy over charges you are not responsible for.

Most likely a low level lazy idiot at the bank was talking out of their rear orifice.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:34 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Whoever told you H that he is responsible for paying fraudulent charges is a complete idiot. One of the whole purposes of having a credit card is to guard against fraud. If they continue to assert this you need to involve whoever regulates the banks in Canada. There is no reason to declare bankruptcy over charges you are not responsible for.

Most likely a low level lazy idiot at the bank was talking out of their rear orifice.
You could be held liable for charges on your account if required to file a police report/sign an affidavit swearing you weren’t involved and you refuse to comply.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:51 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You could be held liable for charges on your account if required to file a police report/sign an affidavit swearing you weren’t involved and you refuse to comply.
The OP said H made a police report.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:17 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionMan2019 View Post
When is that required???
When the cc company requires it

Quote:
The OP said H made a police report.
And yet that might not be enough

Old 02-28-2019, 01:39 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,966 times
Handling credit card fraud must be very different in Canada. The few times I've had fraudulent charges on a credit card, the credit card company has nearly always caught it and notified me. I only recall one time that I found the fraud and notified the CC company. In any event, the charges were always reversed, I was issued a new card, and I had no adverse consequences at all. The only liability I would have had would have been caused by my delaying telling the CC company for, I think, 60 days or more. Even in that case, my liability would have been limited to $50.

This sounds like it might be an issue with a debit card, as someone else mentioned. If it is a credit card, why deal with your bank? Just call the CC company (VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, etc.) and let them take care of it. Again, this might have something to do with how these things are handled in Canada, but one would think the reporting and handling of fraud would be fairly similar.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:46 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,624 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
It's not up to him to give a list of suspects. It could have been totally random, someone just trying numbers til they got on one.
We've had credit card fraud, and it actually is important if you think you know who did this.

The credit card company will then decide if you were "in on" the take - that is, someone you are affiliated with makes lots of charges, and then you claim fraud and both of you reap the benefit of the items purchased.

In my experience, they will dig pretty deep if the charges are more than, say, a couple hundred dollars.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:47 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,624 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:

You have to help prove they're fraudulent, is the thing. You can't just say it and be believed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance