Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 08:56 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I’m getting frequent calls from an electronic voice about “my refund” for computer tech services that I already paid for. The IRS is demanding the company close and refund the amount I paid, and they need my credit card number to give me my refund.

I know it’s a scam, and we certainly didn’t purchase this coverage, but, I also have a husband who has developed a seizure disorder recently and his meds are, to use his words, making him stupid. I could totally see him start to worry and fuss over this. And then turn around and try to help and give them the credit card number.

He’s terrified to stop working, and no matter how many times I tell him we would be fine to retire, give him a breakdown on our funds, he goes back to we’ll be poor like the Waltons. And living in the streets.

Today I even wrote out our figures and showed him our net worth. An hour later... it’s the Waltons again.

Man, I hate the Waltons.
Yup that is why I detest these scammers - they are scum. They prey on the elderly so easily. My father is 92, and is a perfect target for this crap. Service companies are just as bad. I have chewed out a couple of companies already that were trying to get away with crap at his house. I have no tolerance for these lowlifes at all. God help the next one that I catch trying to pull something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 05:35 AM

497 posts, read 422,659 times
I have update but it was difficult for me to come here as I am working a lot of hours.

The scammers continue to call and my DH reported it to the police and to our bank and cc fraud department.

DH got a call from someone at cc company to explain how you can be tricked to disclose information or how they obtain information from using your card, carrying it in your wallet. On transit, I met a criminal lawyer and she told me more examples how it is done and said it is very easy to get cash without having the card. She also was a victim and some family members and it is a lot more common then I thought.

The investigation is ongoing because how the fraud activity was done and it takes time. In the meantime, we are not making any payments to the bill.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:55 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
Thank you everybody!

I was on the phone with my bank & H credit card company. My H has to call back again. My concern is if my husband lack providing detail information on who he think did this. We live in Canada and the fraudulent person did this in Florida (we think) for sure in the USA.
Does he know who did it?

Old 03-24-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Does he know who did it?
No. He thought it was a company but could be a former employee.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:29 AM

I have an update.

Apparently, my husband had to cash in his RRSP to pay half of the credit card debt, the expense was mainly from the fraud.

Many weeks later, DH was told that he will get full refund this week, with that being said, they said this weeks ago and on top of that, the branch manager told us to leave their bank and go to another one.

We have no intention to stay with this bank, but I don't understand why they ask us to leave? Is it because they had to return the fraud money to us, which really goes back into the credit card.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:58 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
No, you'd sue them in civil court to get your money back.
And then have to prove that a $30 limit was put on the purchase amount
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance