Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 09:05 PM

497 posts, read 416,084 times

Advertisements

This just happened and is all new and hard to digest all of this. My husband got his credit card bill in the mail today and saw substantial amount of money owing that he did not purchase. He rarely uses his credit card. He went to the bank immediately and they told him to go to the police. A bank staff member and my H drove to the police and made a report and there will be internal investigation at the bank.

My H was told that he will still have to pay the fraudulent amount and we do not have that kind of money. We are so distraught and can't sleep tonight.

H is unemployed and I can barely pay our rent, food and very basic bills. We don't have assets.

Can we get some advice? Will we have to file bankruptcy because we cannot pay that amount of debt? The other trouble is that I have to work and can't make calls. I don't trust H to be in the right place because he is having some medical issues and cannot count on him on asking all the right questions and see if he can complain to the bank and say we can't pay that kind of money.

I also have concern. I noticed something funny with my bank card and I know I have to go to the bank and explain the situation and get a new card. (My husband got a new card also)

I really need some advise on what can be done. I don't want to file bankruptcy because that also cost about $4,000 to pay a trustee. We don't have that kind of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 09:21 PM

8,433 posts, read 3,695,406 times
Most credit card issuers have zero fraud liability - and charges are usually investigated (and resolved) within 3-10 days.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:08 AM

18,478 posts, read 15,422,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
This just happened and is all new and hard to digest all of this. My husband got his credit card bill in the mail today and saw substantial amount of money owing that he did not purchase. He rarely uses his credit card. He went to the bank immediately and they told him to go to the police. A bank staff member and my H drove to the police and made a report and there will be internal investigation at the bank.

My H was told that he will still have to pay the fraudulent amount and we do not have that kind of money. We are so distraught and can't sleep tonight.

H is unemployed and I can barely pay our rent, food and very basic bills. We don't have assets.

Can we get some advice? Will we have to file bankruptcy because we cannot pay that amount of debt? The other trouble is that I have to work and can't make calls. I don't trust H to be in the right place because he is having some medical issues and cannot count on him on asking all the right questions and see if he can complain to the bank and say we can't pay that kind of money.

I also have concern. I noticed something funny with my bank card and I know I have to go to the bank and explain the situation and get a new card. (My husband got a new card also)

I really need some advise on what can be done. I don't want to file bankruptcy because that also cost about $4,000 to pay a trustee. We don't have that kind of money.
NO, don't file bankruptcy over this! Credit card debt is unsecured debt. This means that they can't seize anything from you, without going through a very complex legal process. Resolve the issue on your own.

Rest well. Your car will still be there in the morning!

Old 02-28-2019, 06:04 AM

31,346 posts, read 14,060,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post

Don't pay the charges if they are fraudulent. Period. Tell the bank to pound sand.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:19 AM

497 posts, read 416,084 times
Thank you everybody!

I was on the phone with my bank & H credit card company. My H has to call back again. My concern is if my husband lack providing detail information on who he think did this. We live in Canada and the fraudulent person did this in Florida (we think) for sure in the USA.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:27 AM

5,392 posts, read 3,955,340 times
It's not up to him to give a list of suspects. It could have been totally random, someone just trying numbers til they got on one.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:27 AM

4,364 posts, read 8,044,798 times
I just went through some fraud recently but caught it quickly. A simple call to the credit card company was all it took and a new card was in my possession within a few days.

What helped me is that I have a notification sent to me for every transaction. I was sitting at home and was notified of a few transactions taking place in a different state. I was on the phone with the CC company within minutes and they shut my card down.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:07 AM

6,749 posts, read 5,425,677 times
Torontobase,

If its fraud, and you filed a report with the police you should NOT have to pay. That is what fraud protection is for on credit cards.

You should also be getting new cards to replace the compromised cards.

And banks and/or cc companies have all kinds of hours to talk on the phone, at least here in the USA, canadian companies may be different.

Also, you can suggest a suspect if you are fairly certain that person is responsible ( ie:had access to your card), but it is NOT your job to do so, it is up to the cc company and the police to figure out who did it. You could be very wrong and dint need trouble for false reporting.

Also, i would ask the cc company why they didnt catch the potential fraud if it was done out of the country, and notify you?

I received a call from my cc company bank asking if i had charged 2 tickets to Tahiti and Bora Bora. I said i wish! But no. ( ive always wanted to visit there). It was a substantial amount. I didnt have to pay, and the new cards was in my hands in 3 days.

Also here in the USA at least, if you dont notify the cc company of your out of local area travel plans, if something comes up, especially out of the country, they will decline the card to the point of purchase. At least some work that way. Then notify you if possible to be sure you are out of the area.

Best of luck to you...

Old 02-28-2019, 08:08 AM

26,145 posts, read 21,357,522 times
They may require filing a police report and/or signing an affidavit saying you/your husband were not responsible for the charges. It’s possible if they make the requirement and you don’t follow through they won’t take care of it

Old 02-28-2019, 08:15 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,480,773 times
OP - are you sure it is a credit card and not his debit card?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance