Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 09:34 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFox. View Post
Banks do not give out counter checks anymore. You need to wait a few weeks for real checks due to ID theft.

Go to USPS and pay the $1.50 each per money order. Not sure if they sell Cashiers checks or not. Tell them the amount you need to send and they will decide if you need just one Cashiers checks or 2 money orders
I get counter checks from my bank because I only write maybe two or three checks per year. It has never been an issue. I go to a local bank, not a big bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 10:02 AM

83 posts, read 43,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I get counter checks from my bank because I only write maybe two or three checks per year. It has never been an issue. I go to a local bank, not a big bank.
thanks for that

We use MO for our water company, donation to the Fire Dept & house payment. Only our house payment can be paid online. Once you order checks, there is a risk of id theft so we keep it to MO

Old 03-17-2019, 12:29 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
IF you have a checking account, most banks can print you a sheet or two of personalized (name, address, MICR encoding) checks in a few minutes. It's not a substitute for having an account, it's a sop to the reality that most who have "checking" accounts just don't write many checks any more. There isn't any reason to buy 50-100-200 printed checks.

This is not the same thing as completely blank "counter checks."

Is it just me, or has this answer gotten absurdly complicated. OP needs to pay taxes. Taxes are more than the $1k limit s/he is used to for merchant-issued "money orders." Solution: buy multiple MOs that add up to the amount due, or go to a bank and get a bank-issued check (usually called a cashier's check, but other names are in play) for the exact amount.

Problem solved. Yes, it's a good point to examine whether one's financial needs have evolved past cashing all checks and buying MOs at the convenience store when needed, but that's another question, really.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:33 PM

892 posts, read 484,194 times
This has all been a great help; my experience with trying to set up a checking account didn't
necessarily 'account' (pun intended) for the changes in life (not just my own) from when i first opened a savings account, and realizing that a low-income single person like myself didn't need to use checks for the simple rent payments and landline bills i had. so this new situation has really been a "doozy". when i got on the phone, the rep was rushing me to the point where i needed to say "wait--i need to put my job/financial situation in a context, as well as the fact that since my father died in March 2017, i have been trying to balance all the changes here before *just* being expected to say "Yes No Yes No Yes No" without a pause.
he may have been eager to 'do business' rather than listen (yes, and that happened shortly after my father died in other areas, too : (

Old 03-20-2019, 01:03 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
I'm sure that your bank will issue you a cashier's check or money order for free since you have an account there. I have a credit union account, and a regular bank, and can get one free check or MO per day from each of them.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:32 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalFox. View Post
Once you order checks, there is a risk of id theft...
Where do people keep getting this idea that paper checks are some gaping security hole in personal finance, especially compared to all the way electronic transactions can be subverted?

Checks are just wastepaper memos to get from one e-account to another. They aren't even kept by the system any more except as images.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:35 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Where do people keep getting this idea that paper checks are some gaping security hole in personal finance, especially compared to all the way electronic transactions can be subverted?

Checks are just wastepaper memos to get from one e-account to another. They aren't even kept by the system any more except as images.
It’s not a risk of ID theft but checks are most certainly an easy way to compromise a checking account

Old 03-21-2019, 08:21 AM

456 posts, read 348,647 times
I'd ask your bank to write a cashier's check for you. You should be able to take the amount right out of your savings account that you already have. There might not even be a fee. I had to get a cashier's check a couple of months ago and I didn't pay anything for it.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:42 AM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
You can probably find a bank with free bill paying service. It works like a checking account except the bank will pay the postage to mail the check. You use the service by logging into the banks web site. You can use it for most if not all bills.
An on line broker will probably let you open a free account too.

The IRS will take the money out of your bank account if you ask them very nicely. Should be no cost to you.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance