Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 01:11 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,384,467 times

Advertisements

At this point in my life I have very little material wealth. I have lot of liquid assets and some investments.

Material wealth brings with it, liability. Depending on what you buy with it you incur costs along with owning whatever material thing it may be.

What is the ratio of liquidity vs material wealth you prefer and are most comfortable with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 01:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,561,987 times
what do you mean by material wealth?

Old 03-16-2019, 01:35 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,666,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
What is the ratio of liquidity vs material wealth ...?
It's fluid. At various points in your life and for various reasons these numbers will move around.
Avoid looking for this sort of one single number type of solution. It isn't out there.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what do you mean by material wealth?
Things, cars, boats, pets ect.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's fluid. At various points in your life and for various reasons these numbers will move around.
Avoid looking for this sort of one single number type of solution. It isn't out there.
I can see what your saying in a way but I'm not sure if I understand you.

If I go out and buy a new Mercedes Benz there are liabilities that come with that. Cost of insurance, maintenance, repairs, taxes and fees. A 5000 sqft home is going to have more costs associated with it than a 500 sqft home.

There's no reliable rules for proportions in this that people use? I can pretty much think one up but I just wonder what other people do, what systems they use with in investing or whatever as opposed to liabilites they take on.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:46 PM

37,489 posts, read 45,772,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
There's no reliable rules for proportions in this that people use?
Of course not.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:05 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,518,340 times
Never heard of the term "material wealth" but I think you're thinking of something similar to tangible assets that are used in a business. Of course I think about related expenses when purchasing things you describe as "material wealth" but there's really a risk and reward concept to everything you buy. If you buy stocks they're volatile and could drop a lot in the short term, but in the long run they usually provide a pretty good return. If you put your money in a savings account it's safe but you probably could have earned more investing in something else. For a house there are expenses but counter that with probable appreciation and a place to live. I don't think along your lines. Agree with others that there is no set percentage that I feel is the best when talking about different investments/assets as you describe them.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:59 AM

6,603 posts, read 7,281,522 times
I pay no attention to a ratio. Based on your needs buy the assets you need. Based on your current expenses, expected future expenses, and emergency needs figure out your liquidity needs and the rest gets invested.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:18 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,606,297 times
Lol interesting term I don’t think really exists much. I think people consider liquid versus illiquid assets. I’m about 98% invested in immovable assets and under 2% cash, which I consider to be an annoying situation but it is what it is. Invested for aggressive future gains. Aiming for 10% liquid by the time I hit 40. As for “material wealth,” I consider everything I buy to be immediately worthless to be honest with you. Whether it’s a collectible or a car or a TV or whatever else the second it arrives, I consider it to have no value beyond my enjoyment of it. That way I’m pleasantly surprised when I sell something and get 10-30% of its purchase price back but I don’t look at things as investments, just investments in my happiness. It keeps me not buying a bunch of useless stuff either. I’m more selective. I have driven my car for 7 years now and it hasn’t yet hit 10,000 miles, I’ll drive it for another 8 even if I can afford a really nice car because cars are a waste of money anyway so I’d rather not throw money down the tube on them until I’m so rich it doesn’t even matter lol. We have a primary car we drive more often and whatever our primary car has been, it’s always a money suck.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:19 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,365,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Lol interesting term I don’t think really exists much. I think people consider liquid versus illiquid assets. I’m about 98% invested in immovable assets and under 2% cash, which I consider to be an annoying situation but it is what it is. Invested for aggressive future gains. Aiming for 10% liquid by the time I hit 40. As for “material wealth,” I consider everything I buy to be immediately worthless to be honest with you. Whether it’s a collectible or a car or a TV or whatever else the second it arrives, I consider it to have no value beyond my enjoyment of it. That way I’m pleasantly surprised when I sell something and get 10-30% of its purchase price back but I don’t look at things as investments, just investments in my happiness. It keeps me not buying a bunch of useless stuff either. I’m more selective. I have driven my car for 7 years now and it hasn’t yet hit 10,000 miles, I’ll drive it for another 8 even if I can afford a really nice car because cars are a waste of money anyway so I’d rather not throw money down the tube on them until I’m so rich it doesn’t even matter lol. We have a primary car we drive more often and whatever our primary car has been, it’s always a money suck.
A nice car doesn't make me more money. In fact it costs me more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance