Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 08:49 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,611,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
The earnings are taxed when you make withdrawals. You will calculate a ratio based on pre-tax and post-tax contributions (and change your basis of each). I used to do the paperwork for my dad, who had an IRA consisting of both pre and post tax contributions. I think it was form 8606. I think you can withdraw your post-tax contributions any time with no tax consequences. If you do, all future withdrawals of the earnings will be taxable.

That's why a Roth is better for someone in your situation, any earnings are not taxed.
Thanks you. I read about the ratio as well. Calculating the ratio makes sense to me and seems easy enough. But I am still not understanding why the post tax earnings would be taxable. I would think you would only be taxed on the portion of the ratio that is the pre-tax earnings.

So if 95% of the contributions were post tax then every withdrawal that is made would be 95% tax free and only 5% of the withdrawal would be taxed. And when I use he term withdrawal here I am including both contributions and earnings.

I feel like we are going to have to open a new account or do a rollover to play it safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 07:03 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,556,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I see what you are you are saying. My 95% figure was with regards to just contributions and not the total balance of the account. But just going off of that website I quoted I would think the growth from the nondeductable IRA basis would be tax free.
The growth will be taxable when you withdraw it, the only think that is non taxable is the contributions

Old 03-20-2019, 07:12 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,556,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Thanks you. I read about the ratio as well. Calculating the ratio makes sense to me and seems easy enough. But I am still not understanding why the post tax earnings would be taxable. I would think you would only be taxed on the portion of the ratio that is the pre-tax earnings.

So if 95% of the contributions were post tax then every withdrawal that is made would be 95% tax free and only 5% of the withdrawal would be taxed. And when I use he term withdrawal here I am including both contributions and earnings.

I feel like we are going to have to open a new account or do a rollover to play it safe.
This is incorrect. You need to separate this into three buckets for a better visual

1. Deductible contributions
2. Non deductible contributions
3. Growth

Bucket 2 is tax free when you withdraw it and buckets 1&3 will count towards your taxable income

Old 03-20-2019, 08:58 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,205,583 times
Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't those non-deductible contributions offer better tax options if just put into a taxable account? Instead of regular income when withdrawn from the IRA, much of the withdrawals would fall into the capital gains category and there wouldn't be RMDs to complicate your future income management. Not sure about all this. Asking for a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance