Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 09:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times

Advertisements

I can tell you my salary hasn't kept up..less than a 1% raise last year..and I was supposed to be happy about it ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 05:39 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,458 times
I am retired so I don't get a salary. We get some pension money. My husband's salary increased less than 1% over the last 3 years. It's not enough to bring things back into line. One must learn to be thrifty.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:15 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,515,788 times
I don't think moving to another country is the answer. Gas is expensive everywhere except Saudi.

I buy as much "on sale" as I can...stock up when I have the funds but if you saw my pantry you'd say "is there something to eat in here besides cat food?" I can't cut back much else.

I recently started using my PayPal Debit card for most purchases I make and to pay bills online. I get 1.5% cashback on purchases. Its not a lot of money but it is free and as far as I can tell it is also tax-free money too.

We don't eat out a lot but sometimes our schedules make it a necessity.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:43 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,720,646 times
I'm sure folks are haveing a hard time somewhere but we have'nt seen it at my house......

Old 04-14-2008, 06:57 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,328 times
From my perspective and experience I have cut down spending. Pleasure roadtrips to go exploring are far and few between and for the first time in the last 25 years when I go grocery shopping I skip certain items which used to go into the cart at each trip to the store. Ironically, the best healthy foods are also the most expensive. I can count on one hand on how many times I have stopped in the past two years for fast food which is a good thing money aside. For regular merchandise and household stuff I don't go to just browse anymore, only when I have a specific need for an item and then almost always when I get the merchandise on sale. Also, certain magazine subscriptions that I have maintained for years have gone unrenewed this year. Unfortunately I have no immediate discretionary control over fuel to go to work, heating oil, and ever increasing property taxes.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:50 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,931,627 times
Well, I haven't bought a new car that I need. Actually I don't need it, I want it. My car is now 5 years old and in the previous 15 years or so I have traded my cars every 2-3 years (mostly buying cars less then 1 year old). However now I'm taking the "wait and see what happens" point of view. I know a few other people who are in similar situations so I can see how the car industry is going to be hurting (even more) in the next few years.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:28 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
It's made me hurry up and push that "mute" botton when those INVEST IN GOLD, IT"S THE RIGHT TIME commercials keep on comming on the TV.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:33 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Well, I haven't bought a new car that I need. Actually I don't need it, I want it. My car is now 5 years old and in the previous 15 years or so I have traded my cars every 2-3 years (mostly buying cars less then 1 year old). However now I'm taking the "wait and see what happens" point of view. I know a few other people who are in similar situations so I can see how the car industry is going to be hurting (even more) in the next few years.
I believe that life style (purchase new cars ever 2 to 3 yrs) is over. Could be wrong though.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:31 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,931,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I believe that life style (purchase new cars ever 2 to 3 yrs) is over. Could be wrong though.
For some, perhaps. The funny thing is that I could easily buy a new car now. I've never bought one that I couldn't pay for outright and wouldn't start now. The problem is this "future unkown" feeling is stopping me (even me, a car obsessed freak and able to pay in full) from stepping up to the plate. This is really going to get ugly folks.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:13 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,205 times
Food is more expensive but you can buy healthy food. Cans of black eye peas and collard or turnip greens aren't expensive- about 33 cents at the local Winn Dixie. It's the fresh stuff that's expensive. As James Howard Kunstler said, the 3,000 mile Caesar salad is about to come to an end. I know black eye peas and collard greens may not be some peoples idea of good eating but it is healthy food.

Now, what has gone up in price is things like milk, cheese, eggs, and meat. They depend on being relatively fresh (shipping costs here) and they have alot of corn inputs going into them, so that's one reason they cost more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance