Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:27 AM

22 posts, read 146,973 times

Advertisements

Just wondering your thoughts? Is it a bad idea to move from a country with good economic growth (currently) to one with a recession?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 03:17 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
moving into the pits of hell from the garden of heaven is always a bad idea :S

Right now though, gas and food is absolutely ridiculous. Money isn't going as far as it used to.

As for how the "recession" will affect me or anyone else. We are just starting this roller coaster, ask us this same question around April of 2009.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:53 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosd View Post
Just wondering your thoughts? Is it a bad idea to move from a country with good economic growth (currently) to one with a recession?
How much will the move cost you vs. how much will you earn?

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((((((((((((((

We are in a horrible recession. Food, water and gas prices are ridiculous.

Food is so expensive that 2/3rds of Ameicans are overweight and almost 1/3 are obese.

Gas is so expensive here compared to every other country on the planet, that our carbon emission signature is virtually negative.

In fact, if you compare the cost of a bottle of water at 1 dollar a liter bottle to the cost of say, a gallon of gasoline, you will see that water is astronomically expensive in the US.

Thats WATER, man. You GOTTA HAVE WATER.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:16 PM

^^

what a inane post

Last edited by Wild Style; 04-11-2008 at 06:39 PM..

Old 04-11-2008, 06:10 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

We are in a horrible recession. Food, water and gas prices are ridiculous.

Food is so expensive that 2/3rds of Ameicans are overweight and almost 1/3 are obese.

Because the cheapest food to eat is at places like Mcdonalds from the dollar menu. Bad for you food for some reason costs less.

THAT's why Americans are overweight.

Now go and look at the fruit, vegetable and dairy aisles at the supermarket. Those prices have gone through the roof.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:43 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Americans are overweight because they consume too many calories compared to the number they expend. Americans are overweight because they over-indulge.

Blaming McDonald's for making people fat is like suing Porshe if your idiot son dies while driving 100+ miles an hour.

The jury found the Porsche was too dangerous for the average driver to handle with no experience and awarded $2.5m to the plaintiff.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol...cle1358351.ece

Maybe we should license people to eat cheeseburgers. HA HA HA! That's hilarious.

Inane means "lacking a point". There's a point.

What I posted is called "Sarcasm." - which is to state the opposite of an intended meaning.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:50 PM

947 posts, read 3,139,770 times
It's made me spend a lot of time on the internet in the business/finance section of city data dot com.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:06 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Prices for many items at the Supermarket are increasing. There are some good buys, but they seem to be fewer. I would imagine as fuel prices increase further, prices will go higher.

Prices for imported wines are up-especially wine from South America, Australia and Europe.

Several restaurants have closed locally- both chain & non chain. Gasoline is now up to $3.36 a gallon for regular- and thats the lowest price in the state of CT- prices seem to be increasing recently about a cent per day.

The state of Connecticut has lost jobs the first three months of the year (about 3000) thus far. Real estate prices in the central part of the state have fallen 10% in the last year.

Things here are looking grim right now. Cutting back on many things- no eating out, less driving.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:11 AM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post

As for how the "recession" will affect me or anyone else. We are just starting this roller coaster, ask us this same question around April of 2009.
I agree. It's hard to say what the future will bring without a crystal ball.

Just lately my grocery bill has gone up and up. A year ago I did not spend $100 and more for groceries. This last week I thought I did alright just spending $105. I remember the good old days just a couple of years back when I'd spend $65 for a weeks worth. There's only two of us so it seems like a lot. Still we can afford it, but don't like it much.

I hope sometime in the future some prices will go down a bit. It's going to be hard on some people to pay for high gas, groceries,and rent.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
I agree. It's hard to say what the future will bring without a crystal ball.

Just lately my grocery bill has gone up and up. A year ago I did not spend $100 and more for groceries. This last week I thought I did alright just spending $105. I remember the good old days just a couple of years back when I'd spend $65 for a weeks worth. There's only two of us so it seems like a lot. Still we can afford it, but don't like it much.

I hope sometime in the future some prices will go down a bit. It's going to be hard on some people to pay for high gas, groceries,and rent.
do you mind my asking about your yearly salary increase? How has that kept up with the inflation or has it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance