Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 11:44 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Financial Samurai is a POC and I think he's discussed being fat before. Most people in my area have a darker complexion and are overweight. Do you think the majority fits the profile here in the Bronx.
What's a POC? And why do people assume we know what all these acronyms mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 03:14 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i assume PIECE OF CRAP

Old 04-08-2019, 07:51 AM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
What's a POC? And why do people assume we know what all these acronyms mean?
Minority (People of Color)

Old 04-08-2019, 08:25 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
These numbers seem to be reasonable for people born and raised in nyc, San Fran (where financial samurai is from) and la. Other areas incomes can be lower and they may have less.
I think there would need to be a lot of generous assumptions made - low to no student debt, getting a respectable job immediately at age 22, high wages.

I live in a poor part of Tennessee. These numbers are very high and would only probably be true for some business owners and a few senior executives and physicians.

You aren't getting these kinds of numbers on the W-2 salaries paid by major area employers.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I think there would need to be a lot of generous assumptions made - low to no student debt, getting a respectable job immediately at age 22, high wages.

I live in a poor part of Tennessee. These numbers are very high and would only probably be true for some business owners and a few senior executives and physicians.

You aren't getting these kinds of numbers on the W-2 salaries paid by major area employers.
Yeah exactly - these numbers are probably the norm in NYC rather than Tennessee or a lower wage northern city like Detroit, though there are a few outliers.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:16 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
I'm not sure if he is counting individuals or couples. I know he's married, so my guess would be couples as I doubt many above average people have 5 Million+ NWs at 65. If it's double that then I am below average, but it's looking like my wife will be above average if we just divide by 2 when she hits 35.

This is probably ours, although any # before the 32/30 is just an estimate, I just know I had negative NW while I was in grad school ~ $20k and she had about positive $20k in NW at that point from Publix stock and her 401k she was accumulating while working at Publix.

Me/Her:
24/22: $0
25/23: $0
30/28: $125k
32/30: $345k (when we found FI and really started setting goals to save)
35/33: $725k

That's basically where we are now. I've gotten a bit lucky to be in a high paying career field in a very low cost of living area, so I have essentially geo-arbitraged as the FI people would say, plus we are very spend-conscious, we don't go out and just throw money around. We only spend money on things that we've actively decided we need or want.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I'm not sure if he is counting individuals or couples. I know he's married, so my guess would be couples as I doubt many above average people have 5 Million+ NWs at 65. If it's double that then I am below average, but it's looking like my wife will be above average if we just divide by 2 when she hits 35.

This is probably ours, although any # before the 32/30 is just an estimate, I just know I had negative NW while I was in grad school ~ $20k and she had about positive $20k in NW at that point from Publix stock and her 401k she was accumulating while working at Publix.

Me/Her:
24/22: $0
25/23: $0
30/28: $125k
32/30: $345k (when we found FI and really started setting goals to save)
35/33: $725k

That's basically where we are now. I've gotten a bit lucky to be in a high paying career field in a very low cost of living area, so I have essentially geo-arbitraged as the FI people would say, plus we are very spend-conscious, we don't go out and just throw money around. We only spend money on things that we've actively decided we need or want.
He's counting individuals.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:04 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Quote:
He's counting individuals.
Well, good thing we don't live in a HCOL area then. A 4/2.5 2.5k sq ft house on 1/3rd of an acre in a neighborhood with good schools can be had for less than $300k where I live. We will never get to 5 million purposefully because 2 million in investments at a 3.5% SWR would be more than we spend now with 2 kids in daycare and a mortgage.

We'd start spending a lot more on travel, etc. at that point. But like I said, my wife is 2 years younger than me, so she'll get to count herself as above average and I'll be below average at 35 Either way, I'm happy with it because his assumptions were that you'd be working from 22. I got a PhD so I didn't get my first full time job until I was 28. He suggests they get to $429k over 13 years of work, I'll be 85% of the way there with just 7.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:25 AM

986 posts, read 1,016,293 times
Quote:
Yeah exactly - these numbers are probably the norm in NYC rather than Tennessee or a lower wage northern city like Detroit, though there are a few outliers.

I live in the NYC suburbs and believe me, these numbers are not the norm for the vast majority of people here. Housing costs and property taxes - and general cost of living - is so high that it's a small fraction of the population that can possibly amass this level of net worth. I think that in the 5 boroughs of NYC and its suburbs, these numbers would put you in the top 10 to 15 percent for sure. Way better than "above average."

Old 04-08-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
I live in the NYC suburbs and believe me, these numbers are not the norm for the vast majority of people here. Housing costs and property taxes - and general cost of living - is so high that it's a small fraction of the population that can possibly amass this level of net worth. I think that in the 5 boroughs of NYC and its suburbs, these numbers would put you in the top 10 to 15 percent for sure. Way better than "above average."
I think these numbers are probably average in the Bronx and Eastern Brooklyn (Brownsville, City Line, etc) because the average rent is lower. I think some suburbs are also lower cost but the train / bus to get out of it would be very expensive.

An actuary married to a computer programmer residing in a de facto SRO or illegal basement apartment in a spread out area in the Bronx, or subleasing with NYCHA / Project residents, can save a decent chunk of change. Plus no need for a car. My piano student who drives Uber, pays 1700 for a 4 bedroom because he has a passel of kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance