Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 08:35 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Well, of course, if you did not get a subsidy you can expect to pay $1000+. Same for anyone.

Why did you not get a subsidy?
You have to be relatively low income to qualify. I was in the ACA back in 2013, and I'm certain it's a lot worse now. I was making $11/hr and it was still around $200/month for a silver plan and I was 26-27 then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 08:44 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You have to be relatively low income to qualify. I was in the ACA back in 2013, and I'm certain it's a lot worse now. I was making $11/hr and it was still around $200/month for a silver plan and I was 26-27 then.
Wait, I though we were talking about early retired people??

A single person can have something like $48K of taxable income and still qualify for a subsidized silver plan. (For a family of 4, it's $94K.)

That's not difficult if you are retired and living off investments.

Last edited by SaucyAussie; 04-16-2019 at 08:53 AM..

Old 04-16-2019, 09:02 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
To get back to the OT, I had another thought on this.

I've been a serious saver my entire working life although being married to a spendthrift slowed me down a bit in my first marriage. In 2006, when I was 53, my employer was acquired. Second DH and I hadn't bought the biggest house we could afford and had a decent cushion of savings. Quite a few of my coworkers jumped ship, afraid if getting downsized during the merger. That generally involved relocation since my company was the largest property-casualty insurer in the area. DH and I decided to take the risk and see what happened, figuring we could handle a period of unemployment/job searching. (He was already retired.) It was a VERY good decision; I lasted there another 6 years before opportunities within the company in that area dried up and I made good money, worked on interesting projects and got more "free" business travel to Europe and India. It was a risk I would not have been able to take if we'd been living paycheck-to-paycheck.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:07 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Wait, I though we were talking about early retired people??

A single person can have something like $48K of taxable income and still qualify for a subsidized silver plan. (For a family of 4, it's $94K.)

That's not difficult if you are retired and living off investments.
I don't know where subsidy ends. With that said, even with the subsidy, costs can be burdensome for someone who is low income.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:22 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I wonder if people stayed together longer in the past for financial reasons...
Well of COURSE they did.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Yup, that lines up with about what I was getting. While expensive, that's not the $1,200+ for one person many on here are saying. That was my point. People are talking about not being able to retire early because of health insurance costing more than their mortgage/rent. That's why I was asking if I was missing something. If your rent is $370/month that $50k will go a pretty long way, especially if it it's in the form of long term cap gains or qualified dividends as you won't even have to pay any taxes.
I ran it for 70k. Single. Not my income but might be close in retirement.
I get no subsidies, with a total cost of 1369.00.
That definitely is more than my mortgage. That’s insane.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:32 AM

18,079 posts, read 15,664,302 times
ACA subsidy is based on place of domicile, age, plan selected, and ultimately MAGI (modified adjusted gross income). Someone not working does not have earned income. Their income will derive from divs, cap gains, int, rental income, sales of investments in taxable brokerage, SS if they take that earlier than 65, withdrawals from pre-tax.

So a person may plan to live on $70K per year, but their taxable income might be $30K for the year because they are withdrawing the rest of the money to live on from savings or CDs, and withdrawals from those buckets are not considered "income."

Old 04-16-2019, 10:49 AM

6,751 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Quote:
I don't know where subsidy ends. With that said, even with the subsidy, costs can be burdensome for someone who is low income.

For single it's about $48k, and for two people it's about $64k.

It's murder for working people. I know a waiter at a fairly high-end restaurant who makes too much to get any credit. So he goes without health insurance, which is risky for him as he has already had one battle with cancer.

Early retired folks have ways to control their income if they plan ahead a bit, so can spend a lot more than those limits and still get credits.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:54 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
At four times the poverty level.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
ACA subsidy is based on place of domicile, age, plan selected, and ultimately MAGI (modified adjusted gross income). Someone not working does not have earned income. Their income will derive from divs, cap gains, int, rental income, sales of investments in taxable brokerage, SS if they take that earlier than 65, withdrawals from pre-tax.

So a person may plan to live on $70K per year, but their taxable income might be $30K for the year because they are withdrawing the rest of the money to live on from savings or CDs, and withdrawals from those buckets are not considered "income."
In my case, that income would be solely from SS and a pension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance