Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 04:28 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times

Advertisements

So you know how working for a non-profit or government organization looks good in regards to paying back a loan? I just noticed that I had been working for a non-profit organization for the last 4 yrs & didn't even know it. I just never knew & I had just never thought about it to find out.

So far, I had been applying annually for the IDRP (income-driven repayment plan) & haven't had to start paying a dime yet. However, the interest still accrues.

Does anyone know about this topic & how it will affect my loan repayment moving forward? Any help, tips, links w/ more info, etc. would be appreciated!

1) Is a certain amount of the loan taken off for each year that you're employed by a non-profit organization?
2) Will they go retroactive back to when I first started working for the non-profit?
3) Is my loan forgiven altogether?

I'm in CALIFORNIA.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 04-15-2019 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 07:06 PM

319 posts, read 665,056 times
1) Balance is forgiven after 120 qualified payments regardless of amount (balance often goes up because the IDR payments are less than interest)
2) They're supposed to
3) See 1

Old 04-15-2019, 07:33 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
There’s a lot more to it than 1-3. The non profit has to be a 501(c)(3). Only certain loans qualify.

This link has the info you need:

https://www.forgetstudentloandebt.co...fitForgiveness

Old 04-16-2019, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the info & link. I'll read it through.

I wonder what all the stipulations are to get the loan waived/forgiven (I'd have to work full-time, etc.) I work the job year-round, but not always 40 hrs a week. I guess I better talk to the company rep who I have the loan w/ (Navient) & they'll tell me about if I qualify for anything.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:41 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
There’s a lot more to it than 1-3. The non profit has to be a 501(c)(3). Only certain loans qualify.

This link has the info you need:

https://www.forgetstudentloandebt.co...fitForgiveness

Good article, it's interesting that you can't apply until after you've completed your 120 on time payments, but look what it pointed out:

Are Non Profit Loan Forgiveness Applications Actually Being Approved?
As of an April 3rd, 2019, report from the LA Times, the number of approvals for PSLF Applications looks pretty disheartening. This report noted that while tens of thousands of Americans have applied for PSLF, fewer than 300 have had their Applications approved.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:45 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks for the info & link. I'll read it through.

I wonder what all the stipulations are to get the loan waived/forgiven (I'd have to work full-time, etc.) I work the job year-round, but not always 40 hrs a week. I guess I better talk to the company rep who I have the loan w/ (Navient) & they'll tell me about if I qualify for anything.
Are you thinking you might not have to pay it back at all?

Old 04-17-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Are you thinking you might not have to pay it back at all?
I'm definitely not some entitled-type person who assumes I'm "special" & I won't have to pay. I know it's looking impossible & a long shot, but like many others out there, I'm hoping I won't have to somehow, some way. Maybe some other program will start up in in another year or two. Who knows, maybe. I pray to God for some kind of miracle. He can make a way where there is no way.

Again, I just realized that I worked for a non-profit literally the other day, so I was getting excited there for a minute. A person can hope.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:56 AM

270 posts, read 203,373 times
Quote:
I'm definitely not some entitled-type person who assumes I'm "special" & I won't have to pay. I know it's looking impossible & a long shot, but like many others out there, I'm hoping I won't have to somehow, some way. Maybe some other program will start up in in another year or two. Who knows, maybe. I pray to God for some kind of miracle. He can make a way where there is no way.

Again, I just realized that I worked for a non-profit literally the other day, so I was getting excited there for a minute. A person can hope.
I've actually read many articles that said over 40k people have applied for the forgiveness program after making 120 payments and only 200 or so have been approved. that's .05% of people actually get their loans forgiven. That's not a good plan.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:03 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

You know which way to vote in 2020, to support the program, and maybe have a shred of hope it will be expanded...

Old 04-17-2019, 12:48 PM

270 posts, read 203,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You know which way to vote in 2020, to support the program, and maybe have a shred of hope it will be expanded...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfri.../#14c002ed68d0

clearly the government isn't interested in clearly anyone's student loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance