Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 08:25 AM

88 posts, read 54,933 times

Advertisements

I haven't gotten my inheritance yet. It;s still in probate, and a few companies have filed claims against it so I'm not sure how much I;'m going to get. its alreadly much lower that I thought it was going to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 10:22 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC72 View Post
I haven't gotten my inheritance yet. It;s still in probate, and a few companies have filed claims against it so I'm not sure how much I;'m going to get. its alreadly much lower that I thought it was going to be.
So?
What does that have to do with paying the bills you owe?

It could take a year or two for that to come through.

Get a second/third job and WORK to pay what you owe.

Im disabled, and get around with a cane, i WORK so we have money to pay bills we owe and save for retirement.

Maybe you should cash in your 401k.

Suck it up and pay off what you owe.

If you are waiting for inheritance it may never come if judgements are being filed against it.

Pay what you owe instead of trying to skirt the issue, it WILL come back to haunt you, i assure you. So be an adult and pay what you owe.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:32 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Hatching unlaid eggs does not take responsibility for handling your bills away from you.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:58 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
You are also overlooking several factors:

1) Beside which, the garnisher will send the issuer of the check the garnishment order.

They will deduct the garnishment prior to cutting the check to you.

So trying to go without a checking account wont help you. Its like closing the barn door after the horse got out.

So its best to pay what you owe. If you really cant, and go the bankruptcy route, the $600/m fir 4 years is really a small payment. If you need to, get additional job/s to pay it. Working just 2 or 3 days at minimum wage will cover it. Delivering pizza can be lucrative with tips.

Also, a bankruptcy ruins your credit rating for at least 7 years, before it can recover. Use bankruptcy as LAST resort AFTER you try to settle your debts. Be aware also that if they DO settle for a lower amount than the bill, you may get hit with a form 1099-c for the amount that you didnt pay. And you will owe income taxes on it at ordinary earnings tax rate.

Bankruptcy costs monry to file. It can cost a couple thousand. Its not free to file. That money can make a dent in your debt.

Best to pay what you owe. If you just pay $10/mos on the medical debt, they cant firce into collection or charge off. $10/ month shows you acknowledge the debt and are making an effort to pay it. Only works on medical debt, wont work on credit card debt. Then if you habe more money to throw at the medical debt in addition to the $10/m do so. The more you pay, tye quicker it will "go away". If its already gone to collection good luck to you getting THAT straightened out.

Best of luck to in actually paying off what you owe.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:51 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
In the meantime interest and fees are racking up like crazy. You're better off doing what you can to pay these companies off now and then paying yourself back once you get your inheritance.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:01 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Well, I’m alive & I don’t have a checking account. I wouldn’t call it “living” the way that normal people live but whatever.

I lost my credit union account when I had to quit employment to be an uncompensated family caregiver. My only income is child support & my son’s SSI, which is direct deposited into a non-card attached savings account. I have a pre-paid visa to use for EFT purchases but I keep those to a minimum because I have to pay $3 just to load cash on it!

Old 06-02-2019, 02:08 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
I closed my checking account with Chase last week and I had been with them for quite awhile...dating back to the WAMU days in the early 2000's.

I'm doing it partly an an experiment to see how it works and partly as a way to "unplug" a little bit and keep a lower profile and not actively support any Wall Street banks with my business. I am increasingly distrustful of big banks, to put a finer point on it.

That being said I still have a long standing credit card with Discover Financial Services with a very modest spending limit by most people's standards. I switched my automatic payments for stuff like car insurance and cell phone over to that and will use it for all online purchases. I will pay the statement the old fashioned way through snail mail and a money order. A little bit of a pain, yes. I am a little more comfortable with me owing them money rather than Chase owing me money in the form of a demand deposit account, which I recognize I am basically powerless to do anything about if they really wanted to screw me.

As for what to do with payroll or settlement checks, it is not too difficult to find places that will cash business or government checks for very nominal fees. Personal checks written to you from other people can be a little more problematic. The fee's are higher (5-6% is common from what I have seen) and some check cashing places will not be able to cash personal checks from certain banks period. You would have to go to a branch of that institution it was written against and ask them nicely to help you with it, which could be very problematic if they are not local to you and don't have a branch in your area. If you are attempting to go without a checking account it is best to not accept personal checks as payment from others if you can avoid it.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:57 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxmfan2018 View Post
The american way just file a bankruptcy and make the tax payers pay for your expenses!!! the OP should just pay there debts off
A prison sentence should be a condition of bankruptcy. It’s theft.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:12 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxmfan2018 View Post
The american way just file a bankruptcy and make the tax payers pay for your expenses!!! the OP should just pay there debts off
Oh man. I know a guy from high school that did this earlier in the year. By March he had new carpet, he's gone on a few local trips this spring, he just purchased nice clothes for his kid's prom and gave himself some new electronics for his birthday last week.

You should hear his sob story about how unfair "the system" is.

Makes a 6 figure salary in Colorado Springs.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:44 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
A prison sentence should be a condition of bankruptcy. It’s theft.
Only if it can be proven that the borrower intended to file bankruptcy at the time they borrowed the money. Otherwise we run afoul of basic constitutional principles such as mens rea (criminal intent).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance