Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 09:47 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times

Advertisements

Are you planning on declaring & payimg taxes on those pension checks as income on your income tax returns? Because the paper trail created will show them as yours..
.deposited & cashed through your acccount. It is basically launderimg funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 09:51 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I have been asked to cash Pension Checks against my account, and give the person cash to avoid the money being taken out of his account from creditors. Sounds shady, and feel I could possibly expose myself to some sort of problem, could there be issues ?
How good do you look in an orange jumpsuit?

Old 04-25-2019, 10:01 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
LOL, people like you who loaned him money.

Don't do it. You don't want your bank account info showing on the back of his deposited check.
This is what I mean by a paper trail.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:45 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
The only answer that was offered when we asked why he cannot cash his own check, was "I don't want people taking my money".....when asked "what people", the answer was "People !....can you do it or not !"....told him "We will discuss it when the check arrives"

what if it's a bad check but the bank doesn't learn this until 2 days after you gave him the cash. The bank will come after you for the money.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:42 PM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Originally Posted by KaraG

Don't do it. You don't want your bank account info showing on the back of his deposited check.

Quote:
Never considered that
It only came to mind because I hope to win a civil lawsuit next week. I had the bank send me front and back copies of a canceled check so I have their bank info if I need to garnish their checking account.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:50 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
Quote:
I have been asked to cash Pension Checks against my account, and give the person cash to avoid the money being taken out of his account from creditors. Sounds shady, and feel I could possibly expose myself to some sort of problem, could there be issues ?
The better question is why should you do it? Are you willing to get involved in what could become a money laundering scheme?

Old 05-28-2019, 12:21 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Are you planning on declaring & payimg taxes on those pension checks as income on your income tax returns? Because the paper trail created will show them as yours..
.deposited & cashed through your acccount. It is basically launderimg funds.
I agree with this position, so you file taxes and don't claim this 50 or 75k a year you are running through your account on your taxes as income, what do you say to the IRS when they ask why didn't you claim this income? At best, your going to have a hefty tax bill with penalties and interest your going to have to pay, and if they don't pick it up on this for several years, that's even higher penalties and interest. Generally this will not result in prison, so long as you agree to pay what you own. The government just wants it's cut, it costs to throw you in federal prison. Even Richard Hatch who was blatant with his income tax evasion could have avoided prison if he agreed to pay when he owed, but with his ego thought he could beat the IRS in court and spent 51 months in prison learning your can't beat the IRS.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:53 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Doing something sketchy is one thing.

Doing something sketchy with an obvious paper trail is quite another.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:10 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Are you sure they can?
The law generally prevents creditors from garnishing private pensions and other retirement savings vehicles that fall under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act.
https://www.freecreditreport.com/blo...sion-benefits/
They can't go after or touch the pension payment check, but once it's deposited in a bank, it becomes cash subject to forfeiture. The person would need to cash the check and keep the cash in their pocket, or they need to have it deposited into an IRA (or similar retirement account) and draw from that. Once it becomes just money in the bank, creditors can go after it.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:37 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Some much bad information in this thread.

There’s nothing illegal about cashing a check someone signed over to you. If the check is good, you have no reason to worry. No one can go after you for someone else’s debts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance