Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 12:10 PM

12,972 posts, read 7,350,925 times

Advertisements

Go and tell your story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 06:29 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,086,673 times
..And? Interesting and well-written story, despite my better judgment I read it all.

So, you'll have warrants in NY for failure to appear. They can go to hell. I use Google Pixel's thus far unique "Call Screener" and don't answer **** that isn't in 425 or 206, our two local Area Codes. Sometimes others in WA, like 360. Otherwise, pfft: they can come get me if they want me. If NY wants you, they'll come find you. Failure to appears is a bench warrant issued by the judge. Not sure how or if those follow anyone, depends on the states last I heard.

I've become a nodding acquaintance with a woman who is essentially a vagrant, not to be confused with a bum as she has income streams. She lives cash only and lives under assumed names, plus has warrant(s), so they'll never really catch up to her. She did serious time (5 years) for something, I don't know what nor do I want to know precisely. She's not a bad person, but neither good: flawed, as we all are. Her college education obtained in prison did her good, though, pretty obviously. She sleeps outside sometimes, hence the vagrancy part, and is quite streetwise. I find it interesting, but point being she's basically judgement proof because she has no existence nor pays taxes nor has anything at all. Somehow she got a car, and when pulled over they'll find out all that and back to jail she'll go, busted back for who knows what. I don't think she cares much.

If you want to live like that, great. Hey, power to you chief. I chose not to, to be productive member of society from Square 1, but that's a choice we all make (or fail to make, really). Guess I'm not judging at this instant, just saying.

To the last statements:

Yes, you're judgment proof, as basically a reprobate/vagrant. They don't do debtor's prison in the US. Middle East, they sure do, which is rather funny how it manifests (foreigners fleeing the country, leaving exotic cars running in the airport lot when they can't pay anymore due to events).

Where do you begin? NOWHERE. Do nothing. Get on with putting your life together. In a couple years, if you're no longer a vagrant, get some docs together and hire an attorney and settle up with NY. Maybe you'll do time (I seriously doubt it, but not impossible).

Filing suits against bums and vagrants solves nothing, ask the State of CA about that. That's why they go after the Middle Class to pay for bum-bailouts, via excessive ticketing/traffic fines in places where taxpayers go (like the I-5 corridor, generating millions/year). No one will file against you, put it back in the mailbox or throw it out the window. Who gives a ****, right?

Close all bank accounts. Close everything non-cash, work on that. Harder for them to find you.

I've heard of way more desperate than you, like my new friend earlier: she's a recovering heroin addict and is thinking about going back on it due to desperation and life as a vagrant. THAT is "worse." This will sort itself when YOU are good and ready. Until then, lay low.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:17 PM

456 posts, read 345,657 times
OP, did you call today and get the whole story?

Old 05-13-2019, 09:12 PM

88,046 posts, read 83,895,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Go and tell your story.
...but without all the unnecessary, long-winded, extraneous information in the first post, please...

Parents moving, grandparents role, parents' health, that she took a web development course, sold stuff on Ebay, etc.

75% of what's in the OP is nothing but background noise irrelevant to the fact that there's an old judgment on a debt she can't pay, she is disabled and can't work, doesn't have the money to pay the judgment and can't travel to make the court date in person.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:37 PM

67,655 posts, read 60,273,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well yes in theory the court *could* do that; and maybe some of the deep southern states where people are being routinely thrown into jail for not paying debts it *might* happen. Otherwise no, it rarely does.

Civil courts process scores if not hundreds of debt collection petitions on a monthly basis. For various reasons a good number of defendants do not answer summonses. In which case likely disposition is merely a default judgment that allows plaintiff to obtain a lien.
Wow, I just had to stop and reread this. Can you cite a reputable source for your statement about "some deep southern states where people are being routinely thrown into jail for not paying debts?" I ask because I have lived in the south for most of my life and also worked in banking for years and never once heard of this, so it's a surprise to me.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:14 PM

13,256 posts, read 8,339,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, I just had to stop and reread this. Can you cite a reputable source for your statement about "some deep southern states where people are being routinely thrown into jail for not paying debts?" I ask because I have lived in the south for most of my life and also worked in banking for years and never once heard of this, so it's a surprise to me.
As it should. It's blatantly a false statement. There is no debtors prison . And no, being a defendent in a CIVIL case isn't grounds for arest if you don't show up.

Op: consumer lawyers will do a 30 min consult . (Most are free). Call them and get yourself educated. ONE step at a time.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:38 PM

31,635 posts, read 26,488,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

https://www.splcenter.org/news/2017/...2%80%99-prison

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/08/m...poor-jail.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debtor...odern_examples

"The accusation is documented in a report by The American Civil Liberties Union, which spent more than a year investigating collection methods across the country, saying it found more than 1,000 cases in 26 states in which judges, acting on the request of a collection company, issued arrest warrants for people they claimed owed money for ordinary debts, such as student loans, medical expenses, unpaid rent and utility bills."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...e-debt-n849996

Varies by state but several do allow for arrest and incarceration for failing to pay debts. This mostly is done via laws that allow such things for failure to cooperate by providing information regarding assets, income or whatever. While that basically would fall under contempt of court (IIRC), never the less result is same

Last edited by BugsyPal; 05-14-2019 at 04:46 PM..

Old 05-14-2019, 05:35 PM

31,635 posts, read 26,488,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
...but without all the unnecessary, long-winded, extraneous information in the first post, please...

Parents moving, grandparents role, parents' health, that she took a web development course, sold stuff on Ebay, etc.

75% of what's in the OP is nothing but background noise irrelevant to the fact that there's an old judgment on a debt she can't pay, she is disabled and can't work, doesn't have the money to pay the judgment and can't travel to make the court date in person.

Judgment isn't "old"; but fairly recent if am reading OP's posting correctly (March or something of this year). Even if it was last year that still isn't all that old.

There is a huge and thriving market for debt, even old and or ancient stale debt. Places will buy such things for pennies on dollar and then get their money best way can. This usually involves shaking down debtors often with questionable tactics.

There was a news report (ABC Evening News) several years ago that gave insight into collection agencies, in particular those that use questionable if not illegal practices. In a few instances people on receiving end of those telephone calls actually committed suicide. Guy had her on the telephone calling her "worthless" and otherwise threatening and berating the woman because she didn't pay a debt owed.

In case of judgment/lien there is an added bonus in that collection agencies or whoever holding can get the legal system to do their work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJS9c0jgosQ

Old 05-16-2019, 02:34 AM

270 posts, read 207,419 times
Your story is very similar to mine. Got sick almost the same age, broke, gave up everything and lost everything. Credit went down the drain. Fought for disability for 8 years and won. I was unemployed for 8 years. Honestly, I rather work because SSDI is not much. I filed on my own with no help from disability attorney. I believe that my illness is real, I have fat medical proof, just go to the hearing and let the judge grant it to me. Got my backpay and monthly payment. You can do all this on your own.

I always have the "I don't care altitude" when it come to something that I cannot control and cannot provide.

My 2nd year of unemployment, I had a medical crisis and was hospitalized for 1 month with a hospital bill of $500,000. I was in shocked..laughed and tossed the bill away. Why should I keep it when I had no ability to pay? Was I scare? No Can they come after me? Sure but I have nothing to offer. No asset, no work, cannot work so what can they get from me?

2nd year also, Capital One summoned me. Because I don't understand..I don't care. I was 24.
3rd and 4th year, got summoned again...This time I understand but I still don't care because I had nothing.

My credit was bad, all credit cards said past due, closed account, collections....score was 540.

I never showed up to the court, never keep summon papers. I was too sick to care about any legal issue and trying not to have stress. My life was partially bed bound for 8 years.

During my 2nd medical crisis at a hospital, I accidentally watched the Suze Orman show, knowing her for the first time. I learn from her about the statue of limitation of 7 years. So I never start any communication with my debtors after I learn this. I let them disappear after 7 years. When the phone rang and asked to speak with me, I told them wrong number or I play with them speaking in foreign languages lolz

Nowadays, I am healthier, never a judgement on my report, my credit is better with 725. I have $50,000 of credit limit total and I'm aiming for more. Haven't hear from any old creditors.

Some will say I am irresponsible but hey I don't care. I got my life back on track. You shouldn't be afraid..nothing they can get from you when you have nothing and by the time you are granted disability, It'll probably be 7 years plus. Do your research also. Live your life and move on.

I would love to go back and work in the field that I love but I cannot work those hours or be a W2 employee anymore. All my works now are 1099 that provide flexibility cater to my health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance