Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 04:20 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Wait, are you being a smug *******? Color me shocked. Maybe you should not take snippets of my post and you’d know that I’ve seen and lived true poverty.
I didn't mis/disquote you. You missed the point that it's not about people who can't get $400 somewhere - from the credit cards you so easily obtained, for example - but that they do not have $400 on hand in any form. That's a razor's edge these days.

And I've been broke... with a family. Not as a single college student.

(And rarely smug. Other adjectives may apply.)

Old 05-24-2019, 04:25 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
I believe it...

There are other statistics that speak to the same problem.

1 in 3 don't have 5k in retirement for example.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/27/1-in...etirement.html

Most Americans are living paycheck to paycheck

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/24/most...-paycheck.html

There's a lot more too...

I am usually pretty polite about it but I get a little annoyed when people whine to me about their money problems while owning a large home, lease expensive cars, go out to eat a lot, buy the latest of everything tech, and take frequent vacations. I live very modestly... tiny home (same home I bought after graduation. 5 people in 1000sqft 2 bed 1bath)... buy inexpensive used cars... and save a lot. My biggest expense is actually my children. Most probably think I'm lower income by the way I live and spend. In reality, I'm in the upper middle class income range....

Judging from all of this... I should be a loan shark.. I'd make a killin... probable beat my stock portfolio. lol

Old 05-24-2019, 04:26 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
And I'll bet they all have $1,000 iPhones.
And $40 monthly service plan, $5 Starbucks coffee, it all adds up.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:29 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I didn't mis/disquote you. You missed the point that it's not about people who can't get $400 somewhere - from the credit cards you so easily obtained, for example - but that they do not have $400 on hand in any form. That's a razor's edge these days.

And I've been broke... with a family. Not as a single college student.
I guess it’s time to pay up for a financial advisor. Because I guarantee, I could identify wasted expenses stacking up year over year if 40% of households are pawning off the lawnmower to pay for the $400 dental bill. No doubt there are millions upon millions of truely poor in this country. I’ve lived in economically collapsed areas. But 40% is a load of pure bull****.

I wasn’t talking about being broke as a college student. I’ve been homeless as a minor. But that’s really besides the point because I’m not really in a competition of comparisons with you.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:34 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
And I'll bet they all have $1,000 iPhones.

Darn, you beat me to it, and they think nothing of a $300/mo phone bill.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:13 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,239,454 times
I've also seen articles that say Americans keep too much in their checking accounts. https://smartasset.com/checking-acco...verage-balance

Median checking account balance is $2900. So how do they not have $400?

Not sure what to believe.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:29 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I guess it’s time to pay up for a financial advisor.
Yes, everyone who isn't broke is of course intellectually and morally superior to those who are, and could easily instruct them in the proper way to live. Because no one is broke unless they're, you know, pretty worthless people.

Quote:
I wasn’t talking about being broke as a college student.
Well, it's not my intention to make this an argument, but that's almost exactly what you said. Maybe you mistyped, but I kind of have to reply to what's said here, not what might have been meant.

Quote:
But that’s really besides the point because I’m not really in a competition of comparisons with you.
Don't mean to do that, either. However, I've noticed that of people who have been on the skids at some time in their lives, they later divide into two polarized camps: those who absolutely loathe the poor as worthless losers, and those who remember trying to make one can of soup feed four people, regardless of why or how that circumstance came about.

Having spent a good part of my life after that experience quite well off, my perception is that people who make out well tend to remember the humiliation and fear, and those who barely scratch out a middle class toehold are the ones who loathe the poor and worship the (notion of someday getting) rich.

But whatever. I believe the Fed report is accurate enough, and it's quite worrisome. To me, anyway.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:45 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times
There are probably a substantial number of folks working minimum-wage (in some cases dead-end) jobs, and who lack the education./training to move on to something more lucrative. For them, it's a paycheck to paycheck existence.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:15 PM

270 posts, read 210,869 times
It's true. My friends and sibling always borrow me. $20, $50. The irony is they make more than me.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:08 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I've also seen articles that say Americans keep too much in their checking accounts. https://smartasset.com/checking-acco...verage-balance

Median checking account balance is $2900. So how do they not have $400?

Not sure what to believe.
Yep all theses articles use different metrics and sample sets. The worst are the articles that say the average American only has x in savings, and their source is another article about average balance of savings account. The word "savings" goes from a type of account to representing their total assets. Same with ones that say Americans only have x saved for retirement then source is average 401k balance without consideration of IRAs, taxable investments, t-bills, CDs, MM, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance