Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 10:04 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
measuring savings accounts is meaningless ... most of us don't have any use for a savings account ...that is a specific kind of bank account .. i have zero in one
MJ, you make this point in every one of these discussions. Can it just be taken as given that we're usually talking about people who don't have brokers, investment accounts, an eTrade account or even CDs... but those who have some smallish amount somewhere other than in their pocket or checking - sorry, "on demand debit" account? Whether it's in a separate bank account or a sock under the mattress, it doesn't really matter... but it's what most people refer to as "savings."

And even I have a Savings Account™ despite having all the more sophisticated instruments above. It's a simple method of keeping emergency/backup money where I can get it almost as fast as my not-a-checking account, but firewalled from any debit card shenanigans.

TL;DR - the entire board knows you don't have a Savings Account, because you're just too darned sophisticated investorially-wise. You need not point it out every thread.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:57 AM

5,480 posts, read 6,305,303 times
Quote:
Every single topic about economic struggle at the lower end includes a full set of pompous, smug posts about how nearly all these people are on the bottom because of their own choices - they're stupid, greedy, lack will power, never learned personal economics, can't resist spending their welfare check on the new iPhone, blah, blah yadda yadda yadda.

Maybe that's because those posts are just kind of.....true. Some people in this world are actually poor, but the vast majority of American's are not poor, they're broke by choice. There is a HUGE difference between the two you know.

Quote:

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right,

- Henry Ford

Last edited by treasurekidd; 05-25-2019 at 11:06 AM..

Old 05-25-2019, 11:40 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Maybe that's because those posts are just kind of.....true. Some people in this world are actually poor, but the vast majority of American's are not poor, they're broke by choice. There is a HUGE difference between the two you know.
I can't spell out HS here, so you'll just have to infer or guess or look it up.

Unless you're just too damned worthy to bother. Thanks for playing.

Your last sentence is completely accurate... just irrelevant.

"The problem ain't what we don't know, but what we know that ain't so."
- Josh Billings, long before Fox News made an industry out of exploiting this notion.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:59 AM

5,480 posts, read 6,305,303 times
Quote:
Unless you're just too damned worthy to bother. Thanks for playing.
The ignorance and arrogance astounds. You can't argue with facts, and you know it, so you resort to low class, smart a** put downs. A typical self entitled narcissistic liberal mindset. I don't think I'm the one who feels too worthy Q, and you're not nearly as clever as you think you are. Have a great day.

Quote:

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.

- Elbert Hubbard

Old 05-25-2019, 12:07 PM

264 posts, read 200,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
And I'll bet they all have $1,000 iPhones.

I'd guess at least 40% of the 40% do !

I keep $400 or more in my wallet, with a whole lot more in the cookie jar. And my cell phone is an HSN 80 buck Tracphone that came with 1500min/yr included. (6 months in, I've used 300 min) IF HSN has the same deal when this one runs up, I'll order another and throw this one out....because the Tracphone refill for same service alone is $125.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:08 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Pareto's Principle, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle,

Old 05-25-2019, 12:14 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
The ignorance and arrogance astounds. You can't argue with facts, and you know it, so you resort to low class, smart a** put downs. A typical self entitled narcissistic liberal mindset. I don't think I'm the one who feels too worthy Q, and you're not nearly as clever as you think you are. Have a great day.

Quote:

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.

- Elbert Hubbard
yes he will argue with facts , right or wrong ..

Old 05-25-2019, 12:16 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
MJ, you make this point in every one of these discussions. Can it just be taken as given that we're usually talking about people who don't have brokers, investment accounts, an eTrade account or even CDs... but those who have some smallish amount somewhere other than in their pocket or checking - sorry, "on demand debit" account? Whether it's in a separate bank account or a sock under the mattress, it doesn't really matter... but it's what most people refer to as "savings."

And even I have a Savings Account™ despite having all the more sophisticated instruments above. It's a simple method of keeping emergency/backup money where I can get it almost as fast as my not-a-checking account, but firewalled from any debit card shenanigans.

TL;DR - the entire board knows you don't have a Savings Account, because you're just too darned sophisticated investorially-wise. You need not point it out every thread.
i suggest you read the thread on "savings accounts " ...see how many people have no use for a savings account ... you should be knowledgeable enough to know that most people no longer keep savings accounts if they use a bank , so it has zero to do with being investment savvy . ..today most use checking accounts , cd's and money markets.

the roughly 5k or so that comes up as being the median amount in a savings account is actually what the fed calls transnational accounts not specifically savings accounts ..... The Fed defines transactional accounts as checking, savings, money market and call accounts, as well as prepaid debit cards. Retirement and brokerage accounts, for instance, would not qualify as transactional accounts.

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-25-2019 at 12:45 PM..

Old 05-25-2019, 12:41 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you should be knowledgeable enough to know that most people no longer keep savings accounts if they use a bank , so it has zero to do with being investment savvy . ..today most use checking accounts , cd's and money markets
Sorry for being uninformed, but why "most people no longer keep savings accounts"? Where they keep emergency found? In debit account? That's what are you saying? I didn't found any confirmation of this statement online.
I thought emergency found should be kept separate from checking account. Some people might have hard time to resist spending it.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:57 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
This speaks to the precarious financial situation for many of us. The way rents and other expenses are increasing, I don't doubt it:
What I'm hearing is 40% of Americans are stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
In a country with 250M adults and 151M jobs, it is not surprising that the 40% without jobs do not have $400.
I'm stunned, I tell you!
Some people are retired.

The number of retired people is far greater than in past decades.

Perhaps you should study the concept of retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I've also seen articles that say Americans keep too much in their checking accounts. https://smartasset.com/checking-acco...verage-balance

Median checking account balance is $2900. So how do they not have $400?

Not sure what to believe.
Outstanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I can't spell out HS here, so you'll just have to infer or guess or look it up.
So, people who spend $189/month on cable and $100+/month on cell-phone and $80/month at Starsucks and waste money frivolously in other ways don't have $400?

How dumb are they?

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence would delay instant gratification of infantile urges until they had a safety net.

How freaking hard is it to cancel the cable, cancel the Hulu, cancel the Netflix, cancel the other half-dozen subscription services, convert the cell-phone to prepaid and take away the cell-phones from your children if you have to, stop going Starsucks and limit dining out to once a week.

I assure you, no one will die from that.

Guess what? In just 6 months they'll have well over $1,000 in the bank.

Manufactured disingenuous self-serving problem solved.

Then they can restart their services and waste all the money they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance