Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 11:19 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
What is the honest percentage of gross income you spend on housing every month (rent/mortgage, utilities, property taxes, etc)? Do you rent or own? Dual income, or single income? What part of the USA do you live in?

I'm right at 35% for housing
I own
Single income
Southeastern USA
--I rent.
--I'm just under 24% of gross for rent.
--If I include utilities (electric/gas/water) and renter's insurance, I'm just under 25%. Utility rates here are high, but the mild weather helps keep usage way down. I don't even have air conditioning and only wish I had it 10-15 days a year. I only use the heat mid-November to mid-March--and not every day.
--Single Income
--San Francisco Bay Area

Car was bought used and paid for with cash. No debt except credit cards that are paid off every month.

I do get occasional overtime and shift differential which I didn't include, so these are conservative numbers, but the most aggressive income assumption would push those percentages down less then 2 percentage points.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 05-29-2019 at 11:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Jeez! With these numbers I'm seeing, I guess I'm living beyond my means, huh (I'm not comparing, just a thought)? Good thing I have no debt besides my mortgage or I'd be in serious s*** then.
I would generally say yes to the bolded. There may be some caveats. Maybe you have the potential to ramp up your income in the next few years. Then you might be ok if you don't further inflate your lifestyle to go along with the higher income.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If you had a lot of other debt, you would probably have trouble saving for the future. American culture has normalized stretching to the hilt and then complaining that you can’t afford to save.
The bolded X1000.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:36 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,277,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I would generally say yes to the bolded. There may be some caveats. Maybe you have the potential to ramp up your income in the next few years. Then you might be ok if you don't further inflate your lifestyle to go along with the higher income.
For sure. I should mention that my percentage is based on my regular salary only. I have a side business that brings in on average an extra $20K a year. Sometimes higher. I don't factor this in though.
Plus, my property isn't for long term living. I bought it to rent it out in a year.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:14 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
I'm also noticing the lower percent people don't live in or around major cities?
I live in what I would call “ rural suburbs”. Plenty of farms and such around here, but also a lot of businesses, and traffic...if I stray from my normal paths. A lot of military here as this area is home to the largest naval base in the world.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:30 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,028 times
Quote:
I'm also noticing the lower percent people don't live in or around major cities?
I live in a top 100 metro area, but not a large city. I prefer it this way. Your money goes a lot further here and with kids you get the good schools and basically everything I'd have the time to do in a big city too. Plus we have the added benefit of tons of outdoor stuff to do. Top 5-10 mountain biking in the US (depending on who you ask ), a great lake 20 minutes from my house, etc.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:36 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Roughly 22.5% of gross.

I rent in the suburbs of Boston. Mostly single income, though I reduced the overall rent by how much my partner chips in. He only lives with me part time and has significant student loans, so he only pays about 15% of the rent.

To own even a condo, I would have to bump up that percentage to closer to 35%, which I'm not willing to do.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:17 AM

425 posts, read 391,667 times
15 Year Mortgage, taxes, insurance, utilities : 17.1% of Gross
"Own", single family, NYC

Old 05-30-2019, 09:25 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,691 times
Less than 10% for housing (mortgage, insurance, taxes, utilities), excluding extra principle payments
Own - paying off aggressively, I expect to be mortgage free by end of next year. I have a 5 yr ARM and I planned on paying it off within 5 yrs.
Dual income plus rental incomes
Mid Atlantic

Quote:
What is the honest percentage of gross income you spend on housing every month (rent/mortgage, utilities, property taxes, etc)? Do you rent or own? Dual income, or single income? What part of the USA do you live in?

I'm right at 35% for housing
I own
Single income
Southeastern USA

Old 05-30-2019, 10:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Two incomes
Own
Utilities vary greatly by season so this is on average for the year:
26% of gross

Suburban city east of Seattle

(current property tax is $7,600/year)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance