Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 05:05 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
... why we moved from a high-cost coastal state to a medium-cost inter-mountain state (CO front range). Had we remained in the coastal state a house half the size/quality of our home here would have cost 40-60% of monthly income without any mortgage paydown. Just a *^#!! of a situation. So thankful we in the USA have an absolute right to move about within the country - thanks Constitution! Really puzzles me why people keep paying those inflated coastal state house prices. In the absence of inherited money it's just decades being imprisoned to impossible payments.

Mostly single income.
I'm in a coastal state. I've lived no where but coastal states. No one here is "imprisoned to impossible payments" LOL.

One can always find somewhere cheaper to live...that doesn't mean that one wants to live there. Cost might be the most important factor for you, but it certainly is not for everyone. I would never be happy living too far away from the coastline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 08:33 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
When you say living expenses, are we including... what exactly? The mortgage and property taxes? Plus insurance? Or also all utilities? My current house, my tiny mortgage is $167/month, so my cable bill is larger than my mortgage (in OR).

Figuring for the next house (Nevada), I'd say total housing expenses including all of the listed items would be around 10% of my gross income at most? Maybe 7%? I cover the expenses for my fiancé and I, so single income for those purposes (she saves her income).

Old 05-31-2019, 04:36 AM

290 posts, read 249,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
I'm also noticing the lower percent people don't live in or around major cities?

DFW here. Property taxes and insurance are about 2.2%. Including utilities I get around 4%. If it matters, house is paid for.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:27 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
Metro Atlanta. Mortgage, insurance, taxes, and HOA (not including utilities) is 14.6% of gross.

In a related note, when we were first married we stretched our budget and bought a townhome in a trendy area that was 32% of our gross. It was risky but it worked out great as we made a tidy profit when we sold that place.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:26 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Atlanta's also a fairly cheap city.

The house in which I grew up in south Forsyth County (Alpharetta) would be roughly 1 million in a town with a similar strong school system and commute into Boston. 4000 square foot houses in my parents' neighborhood are selling for $350K, which will get me a 2 bed, 1 bath condo here. ITP has gotten pricier, but is still affordable compared to other major cities with similarly strong job prospects (Boston, NYC, DC, SF, Seattle, LA).

For reference, I make 80K and 22.5% of gross gets me a 1 bedroom apartment more than an hour outside of Boston.

There really are multiple different Americas. Our realities are so different.
No doubt. The house I live in now would be about 1.7 million back in my old town in California. Basically 1/3 the price here.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:49 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
If I were to factor in my extra $20K annually, my percentage would be 20%. It's a business I own so
income can vary year to year.
That changes the equation considerably. I think it's smart to be conservative with your income assumptions--and you are. So that's a good sign. It looks like you're in pretty good shape, but if the business income takes a major dive, you'll be stretched thin. Yet the good news is you have two solid income steams with your day job and a side business that brings in significant income.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:36 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That changes the equation considerably. I think it's smart to be conservative with your income assumptions--and you are. So that's a good sign. It looks like you're in pretty good shape, but if the business income takes a major dive, you'll be stretched thin. Yet the good news is you have two solid income steams with your day job and a side business that brings in significant income.
Always a great point. I don’t even consider my primary business income in my budget equations because it’s not consistent year to year so I like to make sure even if it’s $0, I can still afford my cost of living and then when the business does well (like last year), I have extra cash to create a larger buffer.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:48 AM

456 posts, read 348,458 times
17% of our income is budgeted for mortgage, taxes, insurance, electricity, water, garbage, lawn and pool maintenance, and general house maintenance. We have been slightly under budget on those items historically. I always budget for the worst case scenario and am happy when we don't get hit with everything in the same year.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:57 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,965,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

NET AFTER LIVING EXPENSES: $9,065

Of course, we have two kids in college.

We basically live off my wife's income and bank whatever I make.
That is amazing! And I thought I saved a lot. Looks like you will have a very comfortable retirement.

As for the OP's question:

We own
Housing is 18.5% of gross (I included all expenses including the lawn guy)
Dual income (but wife only makes 15% of what I make)
SE USA (FL tri-county area where everything is overpriced....)

Our housing would be only 9.5% if we paid off the mortgage. However, I'm purposely carrying the balance because our investments are doing so well that paying off the mortgage using that money would actually be a stupid decision.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:42 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Single
Own
Wooster, Ohio

All figures for 2018
Gross income, including tax-exempt income: $113,262
Mortgage: $0
Sewer: $387.12
Garbage: $687.62
Electricity: $1998.41
Property tax: $2933.56
Insurance: $547
Phone + DSL: $1065.35
Cable TV: $0
Brine Well income: ($1800)

So, it works out to 5.1%.

While I'd like to move to somewhere with less snow, my cost of living would be bound to increase. Then there is the cost of buying another 15 acres. Land costs have skyrocketed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance