Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 07:47 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
That’s entirely inaccurate, though, at least for me. My fiancé has a college degree because I paid for it, she doesn’t work a day job because I support her, so I literally laughed out loud at “opportunity costs” - she has opportunities most people will never have. As a result she started a photography company and is doing awesome, even using my camera I don’t need to use regularly anymore, all because of my resources. You seem to be confusing not giving away millions in assets to not financially supporting someone. I spend a ton of money - gladly so - supporting her dreams and encouraging her career. My career, however, is making movies and I need LOTS of money for that pursuit. I certainly can’t afford to lose a few million.
It wasn't a problem for my dad, but by that point he had many good years under his belt. Objectively speaking, would even go farther and say that bringing in the "younger model" improved the optics of being a "success business owner" for many in community.

Mom has done okay. She never financially stood on her own because of my dad. There were a few years where I wasn't sure about her finances, but I think it's okay now she's on Medicare. She shouldn't outlive her money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 07:53 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
If a trust is set up and run properly, the divorcing spouse will not be able to make a claim against the trust. There are several good articles out there that talk about how to do this properly and avoid problems. Of course, laws can vary by state and a good estate attorney can explain how to best secure your estate.

In my case, I would never ask someone to sign a prenup as I would not worry about someone that I have decided to be fully devoted to. However, I have no idea what challenges my children will face in years to come. We will have a significant estate and money amplifies who people really are. I cannot totally control the scenarios my children will face with future families and friends of those that they choose to marry. We spent considerable time and money with several estate planning attorneys, going over all the variables and have executed a plan that gives me some comfort.
Do you think you'd feel differently if there were a business involved? Or if you were 65 or 70, remarrying, with significant assets, and your own kids? I do understand that in many cases proper estate planning can circumvent some of it...

Old 06-20-2019, 07:53 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,332 times
The not-a-member OP, who hasn't been back since, lobbed a misogynistic little grenade into the forum just to stir up a response. He's a troll with a whiff of incel about him.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:12 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
The not-a-member OP, who hasn't been back since, lobbed a misogynistic little grenade into the forum just to stir up a response. He's a troll with a whiff of incel about him.
Sure. But still the topic itself is a big personal finance consideration and I've enjoyed the resulting conversation.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:42 AM

1,067 posts, read 623,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Do you think you'd feel differently if there were a business involved? Or if you were 65 or 70, remarrying, with significant assets, and your own kids? I do understand that in many cases proper estate planning can circumvent some of it...
You may not have read my post carefully enough. We have significant assets and we have kids.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:07 AM

456 posts, read 348,727 times
DH and I didn't do a prenup for a couple of reasons. First, our assets were pretty similar. There was less than $50,000 difference when you added it all up. Second, it was a second marriage for both of us and we both were fair when divorcing. DH was married to a doctor, so could have gotten a big check from her when they divorced. He didn't ask for it even though his attorney advised him to. My divorce was in my 20's when I had nothing. I still couldn't see asking for anything of his should something happen.

Both of us still feel that marriage takes work and we both are willing to invest in it. Neither of us can see a divorce anywhere in our future. (Although I know it CAN happen.)

Old 06-20-2019, 09:51 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,277,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
I don't see how. This is a topic that SHOULD be discussed. Let's keep this about asset management, prenups, etc. Men AND women have investments worth protecting. Let's keep gender out of it.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
even if i lost half my money i would be perfectly fine. i dont particularly care if my wife were to get a windfall and spend like crazy. what other people do isnt my problem.

i dont expect to get divorced but it happens enough that is fair to think about the scenario. the loss of half my money would not be a major concern for me. i would just hope we can be on the same page with regards to our children.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:06 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
You may not have read my post carefully enough. We have significant assets and we have kids.
I read that, but I didn't read if she's your first wife, or if you married later in life. But anyhow...

Old 06-21-2019, 12:10 PM

1,067 posts, read 623,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I read that, but I didn't read if she's your first wife, or if you married later in life. But anyhow...
It doesn’t matter. If my wife passes away before me and I decide to remarry, it is because I would be fully devoted to her. I am giving this person my full commitment. If I can’t do that, then I would not get married again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance