Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 06:18 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times

Advertisements

I am speaking to someone at merill lynch about this.

I am not sure i can move the money i put in with them due to possible tax implications? That's what an agent there told me. It's $800 and i just put it in yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 06:43 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post

I am not sure i can move the money i put in with them due to possible tax implications? That's what an agent there told me. It's $800 and i just put it in yesterday.
There are absolutely no tax implications from moving an IRA to a different provider, provided the money is rolled from Merrill to Fidelity without you directly touching it and you stick with the same type of IRA (traditional to traditional, or Roth to Roth). If you decide you want to move the money from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA, then you will owe some taxes on the transfer. Fidelity will handle the transfer. You may have to wait a few days for your deposit to become available in the settlement account before the money can be moved, but that’s trivial.

Fidelity is better because it has more lower-cost index funds and charges lower management fees. Over time, higher fees can really eat into your gains.

Whether a Roth IRA or a traditional IRA is better for you depends mostly on your tax bracket. Roth IRAs are generally best for lower-income folks (since they don’t pay much in income taxes, they don’t benefit as much from the tax break a traditional IRA offers) and for very high income earners (since they don’t get a tax break for contributing to a traditional IRA). Traditional IRAs are generally best for people in the middle tax brackets. But either is a great place to put money intended for retirement, because of the tax-free growth they offer!

Old 06-27-2019, 07:30 AM

Thanks, I've read that if you are a certain income bracket you can't do a Roth iRA?

Also does it make sense to have a traditional IRA and a 401k?

ALSO, i noticed that there is now $1600 in my account and not $800. Somehow two $800 transactions were made. Hmm.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:59 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Quote:
Thanks, I've read that if you are a certain income bracket you can't do a Roth iRA?
While there are income limits on a Roth, you can do a "Back Door" Roth, Once you have a traditional IRA, you can have the broker convert it to a Roth.

You would have to pay income tax on any gains in the traditional IRA that is converted, But if you just opened it any gains would be minimal, (As its sitting in a money market fund at .02%). You might owe a penny or two in taxes, that would round down to zero.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:11 AM

Once the IRA is set up is it possible to transfer money into it on a weekly basis?

Old 06-27-2019, 08:27 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Quote:
Once the IRA is set up is it possible to transfer money into it on a weekly basis?
I guess Yes, Most would deposit funds monthly, But there is no reason you could not transfer funds Weekly.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:35 AM

Ok thanks. Has anyone had a bad experience with Merrill lynch?

Old 06-27-2019, 09:07 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
You can’t contribute directly to a Roth IRA once you reach a certain income level. But there’s a trick known as the Backdoor Roth which high income earners can use to make Roth IRA conversions. Because there’s no income limit on Roth IRA conversions, they can make an after-tax contribution to a traditional IRA and then roll that contribution over into a Roth IRA.

Quote:
Also does it make sense to have a traditional IRA and a 401k?
It can, especially if you’re already maxing out your 401k contributions or if your employer’s 401k investment options are lousy. There’s no one-size-fits-all rule for when a Roth IRA or a traditional IRA is better.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:40 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:

Nonsense. You can transfer your IRA to any custodian you please with no tax implications.

But, let your new custodian handle it for you. Just call them and ask for their help. You will need to sign, etc.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:58 AM

Thanks. So maybe ill just keep the 1600 in there and call fidelity and tell them I want to move it over.

My current 401k is with fidelity now but I’ve been at a new job for 2 months and they don’t use fidelity. I’m in the process of moving my 401k over to what the new employer uses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance