Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 02:53 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times

Advertisements

I opened a Chase Checking Acct 2 weeks ago. This acct is for Veterans and I had to show them my DD214 to get the acct. I don't have to keep a minimum balance and there is no monthly fee with this acct. Today I got an email from Chase telling me that a $200 bonus has been deposited to my acct. I never expected it so that was a nice surprise today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 03:04 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I opened a Chase Checking Acct 2 weeks ago. This acct is for Veterans and I had to show them my DD214 to get the acct. I don't have to keep a minimum balance and there is no monthly fee with this acct. Today I got an email from Chase telling me that a $200 bonus has been deposited to my acct. I never expected it so that was a nice surprise today.
Very nice!

Old 05-27-2021, 06:00 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Don’t know , I don’t use any deals that require direct deposits
Can't find it now but in another thread, you said you only do citibank offers because they only require a deposit. Offers plural, so do you mean you close the account after getting the bonus and then do it again in 120 days?

Old 05-28-2021, 02:34 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Can't find it now but in another thread, you said you only do citibank offers because they only require a deposit. Offers plural, so do you mean you close the account after getting the bonus and then do it again in 120 days?
Yes ..been doing it repeatedly every 6 months … I pull the money out after I get the bonus , wait 180 days to put it back and get the promo again ..plus since my wife and I do it I get another 100 as a referral fee.

We just pulled my wife’s money out of citi so we can start the clock ticking for the third time …my account will be ready to be closed in two weeks so I will do the same .

We got 1500 in promo money.. 700 each in citi priority account money and a hundred in referral bonus.

I even had someone here in citi data give my name when they did it with citi and I got another 100 for them mentioning my name as a referral

Old 05-28-2021, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
A lot of the chase bonuses will include securities accounts attached. I know mathjak moved etfs over and got a chase sapphire bonus iirc
Yep. I moved my vanguard etf over and got chase private client status plus bonus points on the chase sapphire reserve .

I do use them as my main bank so I do have a checking account as well as do some commission free trading from my brokerage account with chase.

Coincidentally the private client rep I was assigned also runs the archery range I used to belong to decades ago when her mom and dad ran it …. Small world

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-28-2021 at 02:44 AM..

Old 05-28-2021, 02:50 AM

I find it funny how citi pays big bucks to lure in new money from non customers.

Bank of America has promos for targeted existing customers but very little offered for new money …

Chase too goes after new money but has nothing in promos for existing private client customers .

I did get a hundred fifty dollar retention bonus for my sapphire reserve just by calling and asking. I learned about it in a face book forum .

I called and asked if there were any retention bonuses and they said my account was already flagged for one if I asked for it .

Old 05-29-2021, 01:19 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
I find it funny how citi pays big bucks to lure in new money from non customers.

Bank of America has promos for targeted existing customers but very little offered for new money …

Chase too goes after new money but has nothing in promos for existing private client customers .

I did get a hundred fifty dollar retention bonus for my sapphire reserve just by calling and asking. I learned about it in a face book forum .

I called and asked if there were any retention bonuses and they said my account was already flagged for one if I asked for it .
Yeah, I just opened a Citi checking account for the first time last month because of that. (That, and the fact that they have a branch 2 blocks from my house.) My wife and I had a bunch of cash coming our way after selling our beachfront condo, so I took advantage of their offer. I was debating between $700 for a $50k deposit for 60 days and their $1,500 bonus for a $200k deposit, but ultimately chose to just send $50k to Citi and added the rest to my Schwab account. My 60-day period ends this coming Tuesday, but I haven't decided yet whether to keep the money in the account going forward. As you know, it could be another 90 days before I actually receive the bonus, so I can't simply close the account even if I do remove most of the money.

As it turns out, I should have just deposited the $200k for the $1,500 bonus because with my mother passing away earlier this month, I haven't had time to focus on investing that or much of the rest of the money we received for selling. And now I need to sell my mother's house so that will be another lump sum that will need to be invested properly. At least with the sale of her house I won't need to make another very significant 5-figure quarterly tax payment as I did with our condo.

Old 05-29-2021, 01:49 PM

Make sure if you and your wife do it you get the 100 referral fee too

Old 05-29-2021, 07:30 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Make sure if you and your wife do it you get the 100 referral fee too
It's too late now and thanks to your posts in this thread, I now realize that I am a complete idiot. I opened a joint checking account for us and then debated whether I wanted to deposit $50k for $700, or $200k for $1,500. If I was half as intelligent as I thought I was, I would have simply done what you did and open two individual accounts for each of us. That way I could have simply deposited a total of $100k between the two of us with each of us getting $700 plus the additional $100 referral fee.

Thanks a lot for helping to prove how dense I am, lol.

Old 05-30-2021, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
It's too late now and thanks to your posts in this thread, I now realize that I am a complete idiot. I opened a joint checking account for us and then debated whether I wanted to deposit $50k for $700, or $200k for $1,500. If I was half as intelligent as I thought I was, I would have simply done what you did and open two individual accounts for each of us. That way I could have simply deposited a total of $100k between the two of us with each of us getting $700 plus the additional $100 referral fee.

Thanks a lot for helping to prove how dense I am, lol.
My pleasure ha ha ha

It actually was 50k in each savings account and 100 bucks each in the checking account so it was 100,200.00…that got us 1500 bucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance