U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 11:28 PM

2,283 posts, read 1,571,843 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else having issues with their credit cards the last year or so and with fraud?

Last week within 24 hours both of my credit cards had a fraudulent charge on them. 200 bucks for an online gaming store, and 95 bucks on my other card for a womens clothing online shop based out of Hong Kong.

Capital one sent me out a new card overnight and took off the pending charge right away. My other visa card is a smaller company and that fraud charge is still pending.

Back in May I had a problem on my one card someone charged for online gaming too. It was caught automatically and the cc company froze that one.

I do a lot of ordering online for my business though. I have about 9 different places I order from. I'm thinking hackers get into that wholesalers databases and get the info. But the other card it seemed after I used it at five below and Dollar Tree I had the issue.

My moms cards also got hit about 4 times this year alone. We use hers sometimes for my business ordering as well and she was also using it a lot online.

Except hers they charged 7 grand on it. 4 grand in Houston and 3 grand in NJ the same day and it was caught.

So I'm thinking it's the vendors we use that get hacked possibly.

For now on I will use my capital one card since I can use the virtual credit card number option when doing online shopping. My next option will be to get reloaded visa gift cards and just put enough on there to do my orders.

I thought about paypal, BUT I hear horror stories about hackers getting into it. At the market a vendor by me used it for ordering too and got hacked a few times and money taken out of his paypal.

The guy in the fraud dept. at the credit card company says he deals with this same fraud daily at work. Same with Regions told my mom too lately they've been getting a lot of card not present frauds.

This is why I haven't used my debit cards in like 4 years. I keep them locked in my safe.

But it seems with us the fraud didn't start until we started using our cards online for my business. These wholesale places are small companies so likely don't have the security big websites have.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2021, 11:39 PM

48,224 posts, read 69,175,104 times
I don't think I ever had any strange charges on my credit cards. I check my statement every month.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't think I ever had any strange charges on my credit cards. I check my statement every month.
You should check yours online on a regular basis. A month is a lot of time for fraud to add up.

Old 09-20-2021, 01:22 AM

Just did an order with one of my vendors and used the capital one virtual credit card number. Very simple to use.

My other visa card doesn't offer this so I wont be using it online.

My internet is secured and I run anti virus. I don't see how they can get my info now if I use a virtual card online.

Old 09-20-2021, 01:54 AM

92,428 posts, read 89,957,329 times
All I know is my wife never logs in to fidelity ever …she did have a log in established but never used it .

One day we get a call that Fidelity’s team of hackers that operate in the dark web found her account info as they look for anything fidelity related .

So I guess there are always ways .

I had a debit card for an account at capital one ….it never was used anywhere except to take money out of the atm in the bank after my pay check was direct deposited. Somehow those numbers were obtained and used .

Old 09-20-2021, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
All I know is my wife never logs in to fidelity ever …she did have a log in established but never used it .

One day we get a call that Fidelity’s team of hackers that operate in the dark web found her account info as they look for anything fidelity related .

So I guess there are always ways .

I had a debit card for an account at capital one ….it never was used anywhere except to take money out of the atm in the bank after my pay check was direct deposited. Somehow those numbers were obtained and used .
It's likely they had a skimmer on it, and possibly even an hidden camera set up. I know when I get my new debit cards I will never even bother activating them. All because it's a bank ATM doesn't mean squat being safe or not.

I'm going to see if Capital one has a business credit card. That way I can do all my ordering on that and I'll know if it's hacked it was because of a vendor and it wont be tied to my personal cards so I don't have the inconvenience of not having a card.

Law enforcement and Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Amex just don't see to care about fraud. They typically replace the card and reverse the transaction pretty quick.

But these big frauds that are committed in the states there is no reason they shouldn't use law enforcement. My mom's card a 3k charge in Houston and 4k in NJ at the same day at auto detailing shops. Clear fraud.

I really think there is lots more data breaches we don't hear about due to not being a big one. I'm sure retailers like Wal-mart have breaches all the time but it's not reported or known to us.

When my mom had it also earlier this year they paid their $1,000 electric bill to FPL with it and ordered a tv from best buy. IT was over in Miami. There is no reason local law enforcement couldn't easily get involved when they see who the utility bill was for.

Old 09-20-2021, 02:17 AM

92,428 posts, read 89,957,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
It's likely they had a skimmer on it, and possibly even an hidden camera set up. I know when I get my new debit cards I will never even bother activating them. All because it's a bank ATM doesn't mean squat being safe or not.

I'm going to see if Capital one has a business credit card. That way I can do all my ordering on that and I'll know if it's hacked it was because of a vendor and it wont be tied to my personal cards so I don't have the inconvenience of not having a card.

Law enforcement and Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Amex just don't see to care about fraud. They typically replace the card and reverse the transaction pretty quick.

But these big frauds that are committed in the states there is no reason they shouldn't use law enforcement. My mom's card a 3k charge in Houston and 4k in NJ at the same day at auto detailing shops. Clear fraud.

I really think there is lots more data breaches we don't hear about due to not being a big one. I'm sure retailers like Wal-mart have breaches all the time but it's not reported or known to us.

When my mom had it also earlier this year they paid their $1,000 electric bill to FPL with it and ordered a tv from best buy. IT was over in Miami. There is no reason local law enforcement couldn't easily get involved when they see who the utility bill was for.
I caught it in one day …the bank checked and there was nothing on it ..they believe it was taken right from the banking system since the atm is actually in the bank.

The problem with law enforcement is without damages it isn’t you who can file a case .
the fact you were made whole by the bank means the banks are the victims not you .

The banks have to deal with law enforcement on this stuff.

When someone ordered a tv years ago with my wife’s identity and the dealer checked because something didn’t sound right I tried to get the police to do a sting and actually let the set get delivered .

They said even if it was delivered , if I was reimbursed by the company I couldn’t be the one to open a case with them since I wasn’t a victim of that particular crime

Old 09-20-2021, 08:49 AM
AZ8

89 posts, read 49,588 times
Go into your credit card security settings and set up text alerts for every card. I set an alert to notify me for any charge over $1.00. Yea, I get an alert every time I buy gas, a quick lunch or buy something online, but the alert is instant and helps you keep track of the activity on your card. If fraud occurs, you can shut it down instantly.

You can set up dollar amount alerts, card not physically used alerts(online purchases), card used internationally….etc. I just select them all.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:16 AM

336 posts, read 254,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
Go into your credit card security settings and set up text alerts for every card. I set an alert to notify me for any charge over $1.00. Yea, I get an alert every time I buy gas, a quick lunch or buy something online, but the alert is instant and helps you keep track of the activity on your card. If fraud occurs, you can shut it down instantly.

You can set up dollar amount alerts, card not physically used alerts(online purchases), card used internationally….etc. I just select them all.
Yep, this is what I’ve done on all my credit cards and checking accounts. I have two factor authentication on all accounts. Always get a text with a code to logon to my accounts. I have balance alerts sent via email every morning for two lesser used bank accounts and text balance alerts sent every day on my primary accounts.

I had an incidence a year ago or so where someone tried to use one of my bank credit cards that I had never used online to purchase anything to be shipped and was kept in a drawer in my dresser. The only place I ever used it was tied to my Apple account for a recurring monthly charge on a game I have played for several years.

Got a text alert, while at work one evening, asking me me to verify two separate large purchases made clear across the US. Was able to call bank and shut that down within minutes.

Needless to say, I don’t have a credit card tied to my Apple ID account anymore. Just load the account with low amount using an Itunes gift card.

Haven’t had any problems at all since I really put the lockdown on all my accounts.

Old 09-20-2021, 11:06 AM

576 posts, read 423,680 times
I had my credit card skimmed at the gas pump once, years ago. Since then I pay only with cash at gas stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance