Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 02:04 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Until recently, we have had a recurring bill paid in advance every month. Every month, we would get a statement. Didn't get one in April. Called about it, they said they would send one out on the 23rd of May. One week later, no bill.

As an example, the statement date of January 23 was due mid-February...for February. Paid...before the due date.

The last bill she PAID was statement date of March 23, with a due date of mid-April. She paid that one over the phone. Okay, so April's bill (statement date) never came, due mid-May, and May's bill didn't come either...

They show us now having a PAST DUE bill, and SHE cannot understand why! I tried to explain it to her, but it just made her madder and madder. And then she said, "It's not MY fault that they didn't send a bill!" I replied, "I didn't SAY it was your FAULT." Can anyone confirm my position, that it does not matter if you receive an ACTUAL bill, for what is essentially a recurring charge--you still owe the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 02:20 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,305 times
Allright I get the problem.....Here's the solution,

They lost your bills....Right?
Tell your Girlfriend to call them and ask them why they lost your checks too??

And buy the way.....David Horwitz says...Don't get Mad...Get Even

Old 05-30-2008, 02:23 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
"Can anyone confirm my position, that it does not matter if you receive an ACTUAL bill, for what is essentially a recurring charge--you still owe the money?"

Yep.

The easiest way to explain it is to say "You are right!" Then leave it for a few minutes and come back saying... "You know, you realize since you are right, that means if your employer doesn't pay you for two pay periods, then he doesn't have to pay you at all for those pay periods."

If the gears don't start clicking, I have a serious word of advice - ditch the gf before she forgets to pay attention to other periodic events...

Old 05-30-2008, 04:18 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
The solution for paying bills is to get on line banking. They bill you on line and you pay your bills on line. It makes life simple.
I have to guess she is somehow screwing up the payment process. it's possible for a bill to not arrive, but to have it happen often with more than one company, that just doesn't happen. You are not getting the whole story.
I suggest you take over the bill paying until you get it figured out. She has already screwed up your credit by being late. Get on the phone with these companies and do whatever it takes to get your bill paying back on track.
How did she pay a bill over the phone? I have done it using a credit card, but that leaves a paper trail. Anything she says she paid should/would have a peper trail. Without that, you are dead in the water.
Get her off the bilkl paying fast before your credit is completely ruined

Old 05-30-2008, 04:32 PM

The problem was that the company stopped sending out paper bills. Since she did not get a STATEMENT, she thought there was no bill?

Um...it's recurring. EVERY month, bill or no. It will get caught up. Two weeks from now, it will be fixed.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:18 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The problem was that the company stopped sending out paper bills. Since she did not get a STATEMENT, she thought there was no bill?
This happens quite a lot. First, you get an email asking the question, "Wouldn't it be nicer to get less paper mail?". The we notice that on the back of the paper envelopes, it asks a similar question: "Wouldn't you rather save a stamp?". Next thing you know...there are no more paper bills! If you call, they reassure you, "Oh, you can change back any time you wish."

Not so. We recently had a spate of computer problems, before it was straightened out. We were unable to get emails or to make on-line payments. Luckily, we weren't late for anything. But they do this without asking your permission or approval. One of these companies has been doing their billing to us on-line for so long, we did not even know what our account number was any longer. We got rid of them!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:53 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
I am shocked. I hope she is not one of those that think you don't have to pay your credit card bills. Then you could be in trouble.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:31 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Hey man, my girl friend feels as long as she has checks she should be able to write one. Doesn't understand the relationship between checks and no money in the account.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I am shocked. I hope she is not one of those that think you don't have to pay your credit card bills. Then you could be in trouble.
Luckily, I don't have a credit card. I have a checking account. She is generally good with money, budgeting, that sort of thing. I think the fact that she didn't receive a statement really threw her...it will be fixed soon.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:56 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
You know, I think its a common thing for "females" to think.. my wife is the exact same way... I didn't receive a bill, so I don't owe a thing... I know better, there is no free money... most of the time... its free if they don't ever catch it... now I have to go out and buy something on my credit card so that I can get my "free" GPS gift...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance