Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 10:09 PM

15,992 posts, read 20,975,306 times

Advertisements

Need some advice, or maybe just a shoulder to cry on...
I'm separated, in the process of getting divorced and thinking about moving, maybe buying a house. I pulled my FICO scores tonight and got the surprise of my life to see that I am an authorized user on a credit card I never had. I also see an address listed that is where my soon to be ex has lived for the past several years. Yes, I think it's related.
The account is closed, written off as a bad debt for $8,000! Is there any way to dispute this debt being on my credit score??? It's the only negative thing on my report and it is really pulling my scores down.
I've heard that FICO may soon stop including authorized users in their reports, so does that mean the info might just disappear from my report all on its own in several months?
I am also really wondering why this account didn't show up on the regular credit report when I pulled it up about six months ago. Is it because the account was very recently written off that it seems to just now be showing up on my credit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 03:56 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,138,708 times
Quote:
Is there any way to dispute this debt being on my credit score???
Yes you can dispute it with each of the credit reporting agencies.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:51 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,918,092 times
Dispute it and dispute it fast!!! And dont let them tell you otherwise..

Its fraud and your not liable for fraud. It might take a few signatures at a notary etc but thats nothing compared to leaving it sit on your report.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:41 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,832,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Dispute it and dispute it fast!!! And dont let them tell you otherwise..

Its fraud and your not liable for fraud. It might take a few signatures at a notary etc but thats nothing compared to leaving it sit on your report.
I agree that he should dispute it, but it isn't fraud. The account was opened by his wife. Doesn't matter if he was aware of the account or not. When you marry some, remember what the preach said, it's for better or for worse. You get her/him and all of their baggage. This is just one tiny example of how wondeful divorce can be. It can take years to get out from under a coniving ex......

Old 06-25-2008, 09:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,918,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I agree that he should dispute it, but it isn't fraud. The account was opened by his wife. Doesn't matter if he was aware of the account or not. When you marry some, remember what the preach said, it's for better or for worse. You get her/him and all of their baggage. This is just one tiny example of how wondeful divorce can be. It can take years to get out from under a coniving ex......
If the card was opened using his name as a co-signer, then he would have to sign off on it.

Yes when you marry someone, the debts become liabilities of both, but to collect the creditor would have to sue it court. Being married does not mean that your husband/wife have carte blanc to just run around signing your name to anything they wish.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:23 PM

15,992 posts, read 20,975,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I agree that he should dispute it, but it isn't fraud. The account was opened by his wife. Doesn't matter if he was aware of the account or not.
Uh, er... the spouse who can't handle his finances is my husband. Guess I didn't make that very clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If the card was opened using his name as a co-signer, then he would have to sign off on it.
I was only on the account (unknowingly) as an authorized user, it was not a joint account. I don't know if he forged my name (would that count as fraud?) or if he was just allowed to add it without having to have my permission.

At any rate, I called him to ask what was going on with this and he said it was news to him that the account was closed and was written off. Supposedly he called the credit card company this AM. According to DH they admitted an error in reporting that the account was closed. They also stated that they would remove my name from the account and that it should come off my credit report within the next thirty days.
I always heard it was very difficult to get erroneous information off a credit report, who knew it would be so easy? Of course I'm not really going to believe it until I see it!

Thx for your replies.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:00 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,430,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Uh, er... the spouse who can't handle his finances is my husband. Guess I didn't make that very clear.
Yes, you did actually. You have to consider the source of the comment

Old 06-25-2008, 08:46 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,832,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Yes, you did actually. You have to consider the source of the comment
I'm not really sure where your comment "You have to consider the source of the comment" came from, but it sounds like you are making disparaging remarks about me? Might I inquire why this could be?
As for me getting the sex of the op incorrect, I apologize for the mistake, but even after re reading the post, no where in it does it clarify the sex of the poster, so for you to say it was clear is just a mistake on your part...!
Perhaps you have had previous contact with the op, so were aware of her gender, because you sure didn't ascertain that information from reading the post.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:53 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,967,128 times
Call the credit card company. I had something similar happen except I was the authorized user and he wasn't paying his bills. I always made sure that I paid in full anything I bought and signed for with the card, which I pointed out to the credit card company.

They did some research and found out that what I said was true. They sent me a very nice letter commending me for my responsible use of the card and offering me another card with a new account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance