U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-02-2008, 10:11 PM

23 posts, read 45,700 times
Default If you could go back to college at age 28....

or any age for that matter, given the economy the way it is, what would you major in and why?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-02-2008, 10:37 PM

4,662 posts, read 4,501,931 times
Well, I am going back next year or so, and I'll be either 28 or 29. The economy is not a factor in my decision for a major: we had a recession in the early 90s and came out on top. The economy is just leveling off...we had the highest period of growth ever between 1992-2002 for the longest period of ANY ECONOMY in the world EVER. We are just going back to normal levels.

Anyway, I would major in anything except IT. Computers are becoming more and more user friendly and IT people will be needed less and less, not to mention that they can get a fellow in India to do it allot cheaper anyway.

I'm majoring in psychology and hope to go all the way to a PHd...there are always going to be people in need of counciling, but like I said, it's not the money that's making me decide.

Fastest growing jobs I reconnend will be in urban planning, agriculture, mechanics, and biotech for the imediate future.

Unread 07-03-2008, 01:47 AM

3,461 posts, read 5,332,232 times
International tax law and accounting, combined with business management (and one or two foreign languages).

Engineering or a hard science, combined with business management.

Good luck!

Unread 07-03-2008, 02:14 AM

659 posts, read 148,165 times
I know people who have went to college for the first time in their 50s and did well. It is never to late to learn. Some universities actually cater to working men and women in their 30s and 40s.

Unread 07-03-2008, 02:49 AM

4,248 posts, read 6,077,114 times
I'm 48 and just met with an adviser today as I am going back to school for an MSW. I have an MBA, but I'm tired of the business world, so this will be my second career and one I hope I can endure for many years.

Unread 07-03-2008, 07:00 AM

163 posts, read 581,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Well, I am going back next year or so, and I'll be either 28 or 29. The economy is not a factor in my decision for a major: we had a recession in the early 90s and came out on top. The economy is just leveling off...we had the highest period of growth ever between 1992-2002 for the longest period of ANY ECONOMY in the world EVER. We are just going back to normal levels.

Anyway, I would major in anything except IT. Computers are becoming more and more user friendly and IT people will be needed less and less, not to mention that they can get a fellow in India to do it allot cheaper anyway.

I'm majoring in psychology and hope to go all the way to a PHd...there are always going to be people in need of counciling, but like I said, it's not the money that's making me decide.

Fastest growing jobs I reconnend will be in urban planning, agriculture, mechanics, and biotech for the imediate future.
I'm the polar opposite...I have a degree in Psychology and work in IT. I had originally planned to get an advanced degree too, but after getting my bachelors, I was burned out and broke, so I entered the workplace.

I learned quick that my BA in Psyc wasn't going to earn me any more than 30K a year, so I got into IT by pursuing some IT certifications. When I was first starting out, I said money wasn't important...but that changes fast when those student loans and other bills come due, and you're broke all the time. You can earn a decent living, and work in a fascinating field with a PhD, but thats a lot of school and money, so be sure you know what you're getting into.

Also, IT jobs are going to be around for a looooong time. Yes, computers are getting easier, but managing corporate computer networks is more complicated than ever, and will continue to create a huge demand for decades. Especially now that telecommuting is becoming the next big thing.

Some programming jobs were lost to India in past ten years, but most companies are starting to bring them back, after realizing that Americans do a much better job. I couldn't tell you how many companies have had to hire American programmers to fix all the problems created by the cheap offshore programmers.

Unread 07-03-2008, 07:41 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,116,871 times
Let me see. I went back to College at 29 after getting my associates degree earlier. I'm 31 now and will graduate with a degree in Business Administration in December, which will help me advance greatly in my current organization. Business admin is the ala carte of degrees, since it gives you a foundation in so many areas.

Unread 07-03-2008, 07:54 AM

11,479 posts, read 10,064,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I have two degrees in Biochemistry and Cellular Biology, respectively. I have minors in Botany, Microbiology, and Chemistry... I should be perfect for the future but I don't really enjoy the work so I pursued something else I did enjoy... Best advice is to pursue something with a decent income for your lifestyle and also be a job you will enjoy...

Unread 07-03-2008, 07:55 AM

68,250 posts, read 28,809,549 times
Follow the old adage:

If you enjoy what you do you will never work a day in your life.

Unread 07-03-2008, 09:46 AM

4,662 posts, read 4,501,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
I learned quick that my BA in Psyc wasn't going to earn me any more than 30K a year, so I got into IT by pursuing some IT certifications. When I was first starting out, I said money wasn't important...but that changes fast when those student loans and other bills come due, and you're broke all the time. You can earn a decent living, and work in a fascinating field with a PhD, but thats a lot of school and money, so be sure you know what you're getting into.

I come from a long line of ghetto people, and grew up dirt poor....money means nothing to me. If I just wanted to make money, and tons of it, I would skip college and stay a waiter...I kid you not, I make about 30k a year with no degree.

Average psychologist makes 80-100k a year. Plus the oppurtunity to teach part time at a small college for a few years to make extra money, that's over 100k a year. Also, half the time a univeristy will let you off the hook for tuition in a PHd program, as long as you teach there for a year or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance