Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:00 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,417 times

Advertisements

I am getting collection calls myself...but i dont have any debt. I switched phone companies and they gave me someone else's old number. I can see why they chose to disconnect their line. I HATE CHARTER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 04:54 AM

23,563 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Aside that this thread is nearly two years old and hasn't seen the light of day until yesterday when someone posted a quote from the FDCPA (as desertsun pointed out), in this instance the FDCPA would have no bearing on the matter since the OP's coworker was having problems with the original creditor and not a collector.

There are a few states that have their own version of an FDCPA and in many of those states the state version covers original creditors too, Texas is one of those states. It's been a little while since I've thumbed through the TFC, and I didn't take the time to look it up concerning this thread, but it's quite possible that the Texas Finance Code wouldn't allow harassment by an original creditor any more than it would allow it by a collector.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:32 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
I am getting collection calls myself...but i dont have any debt. I switched phone companies and they gave me someone else's old number. I can see why they chose to disconnect their line. I HATE CHARTER!
I was getting collection calls for some guy named Ernesto -- I assume he gave them a fake number which turned out to be mine....

And the collection company wouldn't believe that Ernesto wasn't here. Talk about going around in circles!

Old 06-26-2010, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 7,721 times
I recently became unable to pay a department store credit card, am in ill health, unemployed, no health insurance, and no income. I'm totally dependent on others at this time.

I have received calls from first the department store, then GE Money Bank, which I guess handles the department store's credit cards, and while the department store isn't too abusive, GE Money Bank starts calling me about 8am and then calls roughly every hour at the half hour until 9pm - on my cell phone.

They refuse to give me an address where I can write to ask them to stop calling. What do I do?

Old 06-26-2010, 02:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
This is a question posed by one of my coworkers. She has her car loan company calling her 6-7 times a day when her payment is late about 5 days. She says it's a computerized call and it has a recording that says "please call XXX at 1-800-XXXX) blah blah. It leaves a message on her voice mail. If she answers the call to talk to them and tell them she already mailed it, she only hears the same recording. Is it legal for them to contact her every single day umpteen times per day?

I told her I would ask here
You guys know everything.
According to the Fari Debt Collection Practices Act, a THIRD PARTY COLLECTOR cannot call before 9 am or after 10 pm. It does not specifically state how many times per day they can call.

On the other hand, if your friend owes the car loan company, and they are calling her (not a third party collection agency), there are no limitations as to where, when or how often they can legally call.

Tell her pay her bill, and she won't have to worry about it until next month.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-26-2010, 08:07 PM

23,563 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotgal1952 View Post
I recently became unable to pay a department store credit card, am in ill health, unemployed, no health insurance, and no income. I'm totally dependent on others at this time.

I have received calls from first the department store, then GE Money Bank, which I guess handles the department store's credit cards, and while the department store isn't too abusive, GE Money Bank starts calling me about 8am and then calls roughly every hour at the half hour until 9pm - on my cell phone.

They refuse to give me an address where I can write to ask them to stop calling. What do I do?
Look up GEMB on the BBB website to find an address to their main office, which would be different than the address that you would send your payments to.

They can legally call you but if they are continually calling throughout the day then that could be considered harassment. If it costs you money for incoming calls then that should be addressed also. Though if you had given them that phone number in your dealings with them then you had given them the right to call that number.

Send them a letter, certified mail return receipt. If the large number of calls continue once they receive your letter then you might file a complaint with The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency .. you can google that to find their consumer complaints division address.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:52 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
Last year I decided to change cell companies and at the same time thought I'd go ahead and get a local # since I had no intent to return to Colorado to live.

Well that was probably a mistake. The local person who's old number I got must be in hock to everyone out there. I probably received hundreds of calls. When I activated my phone I got probably 10 calls in the first hour. After six or seven months, maybe in the last month I have gotten one or two so it has slowed down some.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 7,329 times
Chrysler Financial does this to me Every single month. I was one day late on my car payment one month and the phone calls started 12 to be exact in the first day. I run a business out of my home and they were tying up my phone line, annoying everyone that is here... I could not believe it ONE FLIPPIN DAY LATE. So they can't report it late until it' 30 days so now I purposly wait to waist their time up until 5 days before the end of the month. Screw them.... ONE FLIPPIN DAY NOW THEY CAN WAIT!!!! HAVE FUN CHRYSLER!

Old 09-25-2010, 08:37 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb3799 View Post
Chrysler Financial does this to me Every single month. I was one day late on my car payment one month and the phone calls started 12 to be exact in the first day. I run a business out of my home and they were tying up my phone line, annoying everyone that is here... I could not believe it ONE FLIPPIN DAY LATE. So they can't report it late until it' 30 days so now I purposly wait to waist their time up until 5 days before the end of the month. Screw them.... ONE FLIPPIN DAY NOW THEY CAN WAIT!!!! HAVE FUN CHRYSLER!
They will, by reporting late payments, reducing your credit rating, which while not bad enough to prevent you getting another car loan will cost your more in in higher interest rates.

Anger at any creditor for your late payment is kinda silly don't ya' think?

Old 09-25-2010, 09:00 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
Why is it considered harassment? If you have something that is rightfully theirs I don't see how it can be considered them harassing you. $660 car payment? Does anyone else see the obvious here? No one needs this much car when they can't afford it. I think this person screwed them self. Get rid of it before your credit is ruined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance