U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 09:08 PM

3,525 posts, read 5,804,414 times

Advertisements

The thing about Turbo Tax is you buy a new version every year. It's great software. My wife works for the IRS. Yes, she's popular in our circle of friends. We use Turbo Tax. If you have a lot of different things such as moving, education, newly married, divorce etc. anything like that I would really recommend considering H&R Block. Yes they are spendy, but if you are audited, they will represent you to the IRS. Note that this is not my wife's advice, it's my own advice from living with an IRS agent so please take it at that value. I'm just super thankful she does our taxes every year. I take the kids away for a few weekends, have fun at the hotel pool while she works on the taxes. I'm a super blessed guy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 09:23 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,298 posts, read 11,082,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier67 View Post
The thing about Turbo Tax is you buy a new version every year. It's great software. My wife works for the IRS. Yes, she's popular in our circle of friends. We use Turbo Tax. If you have a lot of different things such as moving, education, newly married, divorce etc. anything like that I would really recommend considering H&R Block. Yes they are spendy, but if you are audited, they will represent you to the IRS. Note that this is not my wife's advice, it's my own advice from living with an IRS agent so please take it at that value. I'm just super thankful she does our taxes every year. I take the kids away for a few weekends, have fun at the hotel pool while she works on the taxes. I'm a super blessed guy!

Wow, THAT'S the life! You never have to worry about being audited, and you get to have fun getting the taxes done too!
How do you get into your circle of friends?? Is there an application? Membership Fees?

Loll.... just kidding

Seriously now... Turbo Tax has audit rep option for extra fee (or so it says on their website).

Old 02-08-2007, 10:14 PM

3,525 posts, read 5,804,414 times
Talking My circle of friends

Ah, yes to be in my circle of friends is such an exclusive club. Nope, no membership fees, just have to laugh at my dumb jokes and tell me how cute I am.

Seriously though, we do get audited regularly; moreso than the average taxpayer. And believe me it's 10 times worse because it's an internal audit (kinda like the police department internal affairs). Our taxes are scrutinized more closely because of my wife's position. There is opportunity for fraud and the government keeps a close eye on the IRS employees. Which we believe is a good thing, although going through the audits is no fun and super stressful.

Regarding Turbo Tax...that must be something new that I haven't heard about. I know my brother has used Turbo Tax and has done quite well with it. My comments about H & R Block are more from the standpoint that you are dealing with a real person and have a contact to go back to versus calling an 800 number. Who knows....maybe Turbo Tax has outsourced to India too! heh. If it says they have audit rep on the site then I would believe them. They'd be in a heap of trouble if it weren't true.

Enjoy doing your taxes....I'll be hangin' out at the pool next weekend (indoors of course) it's too cold here in Minnesota to be outside!

Old 02-09-2007, 03:04 AM

1,318 posts, read 4,118,278 times
I'm surprised none of you use freefile!!! It's the same as Turbo Tax, but it's FREE!!! If you go to the IRS website, they have links to a bunch of them that have different criteria such as state, age, income, etc. But it's FREE! I'm done!

Old 02-10-2007, 07:43 AM

4,088 posts, read 9,627,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
I'm surprised none of you use freefile!!! It's the same as Turbo Tax, but it's FREE!!! If you go to the IRS website, they have links to a bunch of them that have different criteria such as state, age, income, etc. But it's FREE! I'm done!
That's a good idea but when I checked it out the only thing I could find free was if you made less then $52,000. Also, I was an independent contractor for a portion of my income and I think the free filing is only for individuals. Is this true? Do you know where on the IRS site I could file for free?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 891 times
I used turbo tax. It crashed my computer called Turbo tax and just got the run around. I then tried to get Turbo tax on line version. did my taxes liked the return went to file it and it locked up. I called Turbo tax for help they just said do it again. Then they hung up on me. I will never use turbo tax again.
Called my credit card to get a refund from them. again Ill never use a poor company like this again.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:50 PM

4,902 posts, read 6,237,861 times
You can do as many tax forms as you like on it, They include (5 i think) Efiles to the IRS, But you can buy more Efiles, or just print out the forms and mail them off ot the IRS.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:07 PM

8,864 posts, read 12,590,638 times
I work for H&R Block as a seasonal receptionist, and do my own taxes with Turbo Tax. I'm single and have no kids.

My recommendations are this: If you're going to use H&R Block, make sure you know who you're getting to do your taxes. You can look online at the different offices, and see how much experience each person has. Some of the seasonal people are really good, some of them are really bad. Most of the people in my office are pretty good, but one person is really slow, and we have a kid just out of college that doesn't like to work. All of his clients have complained about him, and his returns have to be redone by someone else.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 AM

3,619 posts, read 6,999,436 times
I've been using Turbo Tax for about ten years and it has been great for us. But going to an actual tax accountant - not a tax preparer like HR Block or Liberty - can help you put strategies in place to save tax money. Turbo Tax is great at minimizing your tax liability based on what happened in the past year, but a good tax accountant can show you what to do to minimize it even more going forward, and to make sure that your withholding is set correctly to make sure you aren't giving Uncle Sam an interest-free loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance