U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 04:39 PM

199 posts, read 415,792 times
Default Where to get taxes done?

I was wondering where can I get the best deal. I'm single and have no kids. Do I go with the IRS, H&R Block, or turbo tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 04:59 PM

464 posts, read 507,406 times
Turbo-Tax, easy, easy!

Old 02-02-2007, 07:11 PM

1,915 posts, read 5,358,549 times
I second turbo tax. It's only. You spend $20-$40 dollars, and I think it's great. I have used it for 2 years. They walk you through step by step and go over E V E R Y T H I N G. The first year I got over $3K back and this year I am getting a little over $2K. Before that I used H&R block, who raped me and I owed $600, didn't get anythign back (obviously), paid more for them than TurboTax, and they didn't ask 1/2 the question as the online method did. Use them.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:48 PM

1,797 posts, read 3,706,297 times
Turbo tax all the way. The program guides you through every step. It's virtually fool-proof!

Old 02-02-2007, 09:51 PM

4,487 posts, read 9,475,313 times
I agree with everyone else, Turbo Tax is the only way to go. I used H & R Block one year and they screwed me over. It cost me more to have them do it than what my refund was! I was Po'd!

But I swear by Turbo Tax, they ask you every question and thoroughly go through the entire process.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:34 AM

4,058 posts, read 9,014,514 times
Great thread. I have a somewhat complicated tax return with many deductions, a 1099 and I was paid a salary. I also bought a house in December and then moved in January. Would it still be easy & acurate to use Turbo Tax? I went to H&R Block last year and they charged me close to $400 to do my taxes.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:20 AM

1,915 posts, read 5,358,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Great thread. I have a somewhat complicated tax return with many deductions, a 1099 and I was paid a salary. I also bought a house in December and then moved in January. Would it still be easy & acurate to use Turbo Tax? I went to H&R Block last year and they charged me close to $400 to do my taxes.
I believe even with your situation it will still be great to use. They ask you about everything. Every single question for every single situation, for every single form. They will walk you through it. Despite us not owning a house now and only renting, we had owned a house and sold it. We used Turbo Tax the year after we sold it...and so we had to do certain things other people didn't-but it asks you questions and as long as YOU have all of your forms...it will work out perfect. H&R sucks-I too had used them once and paid more for them than I got back; actually that was THE only year I EVER owed and never received anythign back!!

I moved too, and let me tell you, if you moved for work-you can claim the moving expenses! I didn't even know that until I used it, and luckily we moved for work the one year!

Old 02-03-2007, 09:29 AM

5,333 posts, read 4,342,298 times
I think Turbo Tax is wonderful. We had lots of extra expenses last year and it walked me through everything (ie we moved, sold a house, invested in a LLC, etc). I have always paid someone to do my taxes and last year I thought what the heck. Well worth the money!

Old 02-03-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I believe even with your situation it will still be great to use. They ask you about everything. Every single question for every single situation, for every single form. They will walk you through it. Despite us not owning a house now and only renting, we had owned a house and sold it. We used Turbo Tax the year after we sold it...and so we had to do certain things other people didn't-but it asks you questions and as long as YOU have all of your forms...it will work out perfect. H&R sucks-I too had used them once and paid more for them than I got back; actually that was THE only year I EVER owed and never received anythign back!!

I moved too, and let me tell you, if you moved for work-you can claim the moving expenses! I didn't even know that until I used it, and luckily we moved for work the one year!
Thank you, I'll give a try. Yeah a couple people told me I can claim moving expenses. I bet you can even claim the cost of Turbo Tax, right?

Old 02-05-2007, 09:56 AM

Does anyone know if I purchase Turbo Tax, can it be used for more than one application?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance