Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 01:15 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

I followed the link, yes it does say $10,000 for cash transactions.

When I was notified that my transaction was being reported to the IRS I was in Ct, at a 'Dime Bank'. I was depositing a $3,000 check written from a Scottish bank.

I later asking an IRS auditor about it. He explained to me the process of flag setting, and how all US banks are required to file a quarterly report giving the total sum of all deposits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,529 times
Default Why are feds involved in a legit bank to bank transfer?

When doing a bank to bank transfer of less than $3,000.00 does the bank send it from their bank to the feds then the feds release it to the recieving bank? Both parties have accounts at said banks, plus the bank sending said it would take 24-48 hrs. I am goin on 57 hrs. How long does it normally take the feds to release the money, and why does it go to the feds?

Old 04-09-2015, 09:46 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It used to be that high.

I have been told that it is now $3,000 for any transaction that is not a paycheck. I was told this by a bank teller.

Also every quarter, every bank Talley's all deposits into every account, and sends that tally to the IRS. At the end of each year, the IRS knows the Gross tally of all deposits that have been made into all of your bank accounts.

Obviously if you file a schedule 'C' then you are operating a business out of that account, so the IRS uses different formulae to look over these numbers.

Say for example that your schedule 'C' business is coded '0001', then the average, '0001' business shows a profit margin of 10% of their gross. So depending on how far above 10% you are, will determine if a flag is set on your return and the value of that flag. [I do not recall all of the business codes, they should be listed in a pub 17]

Considering what type of activity you are doing: so long as your taxable profit runs nearly average as compared to other folks with the same tally of deposits, then you will not be audited.

If you opened two accounts at two banks, and each week transferred your direct deposit paychecks from one bank to another, it would show as if you had doubled your income, and it would set a flag at that value. As the IRS works through their audit flags, they process them down from the highest value toward the lower values. If the IRS gets to your flag, then you get audited.

So if I report a higher profit margin than my competitors, I'm more likely to be audited? Because I'm probably hiding taxable income?

Old 04-09-2015, 10:00 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsister0101 View Post
When doing a bank to bank transfer of less than $3,000.00 does the bank send it from their bank to the feds then the feds release it to the recieving bank? Both parties have accounts at said banks, plus the bank sending said it would take 24-48 hrs. I am goin on 57 hrs. How long does it normally take the feds to release the money, and why does it go to the feds?
Your money does not go through the federal government.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:01 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So if I report a higher profit margin than my competitors, I'm more likely to be audited? Because I'm probably hiding taxable income?
Dude, you are quoting a comment that is 6.5 years old!?!

Old 04-09-2015, 10:16 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
SARS reports are sent to Fincen which is part of the treasury. It doesn't get sent to the irs. And the reports are done for cash or cash equivalents. The amount to report can be any amount. I can have a SARS done on a 1000 deposit or 10,000 or 1mm

Old 04-10-2015, 07:00 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
When I worked as a teller, any deposit over $1750 cash in one day got reported.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It was explained to me by IRS auditors [multiple times, though admittedly many years ago], there are many things that can set these 'flags'.

All such 'flags' are indexed. The software ranks them by order of how much they estimate that you are skipping on your taxes.

They can not do audits on everyone. They prioritize on those who are thought to hold the greatest out-standing back-taxes.

Individual deposits over 'X' amount are reported to the IRS individually. The IRS has their standard for 'X', though individual banks may set their own policies to make 'X' any amount they choose.

Total sum of quarterly deposits are reported to the IRS quarterly.

If you use 2 banks, and you 'bounce' every paycheck from one bank to the second bank. The IRS is getting reports of your total deposits as being twice the amount of your paychecks. Obviously people do move cash around from bank to bank, it happens every day. The IRS software looks for trends that would indicate 'laundering'.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:23 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It was explained to me by IRS auditors [multiple times, though admittedly many years ago], there are many things that can set these 'flags'.

All such 'flags' are indexed. The software ranks them by order of how much they estimate that you are skipping on your taxes.

They can not do audits on everyone. They prioritize on those who are thought to hold the greatest out-standing back-taxes.

Individual deposits over 'X' amount are reported to the IRS individually. The IRS has their standard for 'X', though individual banks may set their own policies to make 'X' any amount they choose.

Total sum of quarterly deposits are reported to the IRS quarterly.

If you use 2 banks, and you 'bounce' every paycheck from one bank to the second bank. The IRS is getting reports of your total deposits as being twice the amount of your paychecks. Obviously people do move cash around from bank to bank, it happens every day. The IRS software looks for trends that would indicate 'laundering'.

Who reports these deposits to the irs? It's not the banks

Old 04-10-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Who reports these deposits to the irs? It's not the banks

Icemodeled said: "When I worked as a teller, any deposit over $1750 cash in one day got reported"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance