Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:36 PM

24,624 posts, read 19,055,453 times

Advertisements

Safe Section 8? That's an oxymoron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 10:46 AM

262 posts, read 1,040,637 times
Damn $260 for electricity?

Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,623,796 times
jamsmom, I don't know where you live, but most states have help of some kind for families. Since you have a computer, look for family aid in your area. You may also need to search out shelters in case you must leave.

I really feel for you. You are not alone. So many people are feeling the bad affects of this economy.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:02 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,820,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsmom32514 View Post
First of all let me start by saying thanks for the info! Second of all to the person who commented about me "sitting in the comfort of my home on the phone" I DO NOT HAVE A CAR RIGHT NOW TO GO BANGING ON THESE CHARITIES DOORS!!! I stated that in my ad!
So unless you want to come take me to those places then don't judge me! I have called every charity service and church within 100 miles of me. Right now everyone is out of funds. I have been to the pawnshop and pawned every piece of jewelry I own and tried pawining my computer but it is so old they won't take it. Thank you for the suggestion though! I have applied for food stamps and they say we don't qulify for some strange reason. I just went and reapplied as well. We'll see what happens this time around. The only reason we got behind this month was because of our car breakdown. My husband missed almost a week of work trying to get someone to pick him up. We even checked on getting a cab but it was going to be $23 one way. So he finally has a ride back & forth now thanks to a friend of his that works with him. The friend was on vacation when the car broke down so he had no idea until he asked why my husband wasn't there. He NEVER misses work unless it is a REAL EMERGENCY! He was down in his back for over a week one time yet he went to work daily. He works sometimes 7 days a week so he is getting overtime. But we aren't able to pay the rent because we had the lights due that week he went back to work which was $260. Plus we had the phone & our sons insurance the next week and his court ordered child support. And it rained all last week so the check he got this week barely covered the light bill & groceries. I am trying to find work & have walked as far as I can walk to look but right now noone is hiring. I am not out to scam anyone or anything like that I just need help one time. I am not the type of person to do that! I know better! I believe that if you scam people things will only get worse instead of better! It may not happen right away but it will happen! Sorry this is so long but for the ones trying to be know it alls I have to get my point across! For those of you just passing on friendly info THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!! IT IS APPRECIATED!!
I went thru the same thing about four years ago. I went thru social services prevention of homelessness plan. They were a godsend. They paid my rent for three months! I had lost my job. Check with your Social Service Departments and do your own checking on churches. There are a lot of resources, but you have to do most of the work to be truthful. Different churches can give you a certain amount and such. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:00 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,326,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

??? Why can't a Section 8 SFR be safe? Or is Section 8 SFR an oxymoron?

Old 01-25-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar5822 View Post
Damn $260 for electricity?

Maybe the gas was turned off and electric space heaters provided the heat?

Old 01-25-2014, 10:05 PM

I think many areas have a 211 phone service where you can phone dial 211 to a local hotline that does referrals for all sorts of social services.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:28 AM

13,389 posts, read 6,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Not is some states. In NY its common to have Section 8 mixed into middle class neighborhoods.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:24 AM

Check with the Red Cross. They help needy families now not just in disasters and if they wont help they may tell you where you can get help.

Find the food banks in your area to divert your grocery money to rent.

Have you exhausted all your family and friends? Can you ask all of them for a small amount rather than hitting one of them up for a large amount.

You probably already know this but are your electric bills on a budget plan that's averaged out over the year so you don't get hit with large bills.

Are you in a large apt bldg. or any within walking? Cleaning apartments would be a quick way to earn money. Especially if there are a lot of single men. Flyer on a bulletin board or under the doors. Could bring you $50 an hour or more depending on your area.

Any unused Christmas gifts you can return for a refund?

Any spare room you could take in someone else paying rent?

Old 01-26-2014, 01:44 AM

I forgot, if your husbands coworkers knew you were in dire straits they might be willing to help.

Everywhere I've ever worked people "passed the hat" if someone had a situation. Of course, someone has to start the hat and tell the story.

Could you talk to the friend driving your husband and ask him to do that if there are enough coworkers to make a difference.

BTW, I would be making that friend some cookies or a cake or something!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance