Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:22 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
What did your state banking commission have to say about this when you reported it to them?
My Lawyer filed a complaint and a dispute. The bank, not the Banking Commision sent him a threatening letter suggesting we do not pursue this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 11:32 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,246 times
A mere threat wouldn't stop a good lawyer from doing his job.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:38 PM

743 posts, read 2,243,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
WHy would you forego making a mortgage payment to pay down a credit card when you've lost 60% of your household income? I would think the mortgage is the higher priority.

Because I knew if I missed one payment they would charge lots of fees but most importantly jack up the rate. But I didn't miss a pmt with them and they still jacked it up.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:41 PM

743 posts, read 2,243,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Did you even bother to call them and find out if they could do anything for you?
YES!!!! I am not a deadbeat okay!!!! I called every day before I even missed the payments trying to get the interest lowered. Their response, who cares. Then everyday they started calling me and I actually answered the phone EVERYTIME. Show me a person who would do that who owed a bank money. And again their response to my pleas......Pound sand and just pay it. They made is seem like it was my fault and I deserved it. But actually who deserves a layoff.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
YES!!!! I am not a deadbeat okay!!!! I called every day before I even missed the payments trying to get the interest lowered. Their response, who cares. Then everyday they started calling me and I actually answered the phone EVERYTIME. Show me a person who would do that who owed a bank money. And again their response to my pleas......Pound sand and just pay it. They made is seem like it was my fault and I deserved it. But actually who deserves a layoff.
This person speaks complete and total truth here. This is indeed how creditors treat us peons. For those of you who are lucky enough to have not lost your job (yet) in this economic depression, we all applaud you. But if you dont know how banks work then dont put down others who are in a little probably temporary trouble.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
This person speaks complete and total truth here. This is indeed how creditors treat us peons. For those of you who are lucky enough to have not lost your job (yet) in this economic depression, we all applaud you. But if you dont know how banks work then dont put down others who are in a little probably temporary trouble.

If they treat you like that just don't pay. But remember to show up in court if they sue you.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:30 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,608 times
In all my years of life I noticed my attitude would determine the outcome.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
In all my years of life I noticed my attitude would determine the outcome.
If I let my attitude and extreme hatred for WAMU determine the outcome then I can assure you that I would walk into WAMU main offices and blow the entire building to smitherenes with everyone in it.

This is no joke. It can happen to anyone. You dont have to pay bills online or make purchases on line to be a victim. It can be totally random. These scammers have computers that play millions of random numbers trying to get into just one account. They target these accounts in different ways. That is a whole nother post. There is little to nothing you can do to protect yourself from this kind of crime. There is a little bit you can do to protect a small time criminal from seeing your PIN from over your shoulder or from the gas pump on the other side with binoculars.

Always protect your PIN. Put your hand over the keyboard. Dont even make ATM withdrawls if there are people around. Dont buy anything from overseas even through PayPal.

Think about this: You call your credit card company with a simple question. They drill you with everything from what is your mothers maiden name to your SS#, your PIN#, account#, your grammar school name, your dogs name and all kinds of trick questions to make damn sure it is you they are talking to. Then the dope on the other end will answer your questions.

Now...think about this: You just gave all of the most vital personal information to a mimimum wage clerk. Do you know what some one can do with your SS#, PIN#, account#, mothers maiden name, and some other trick proof questions most secure sites use? Now lets suppose that minimum wage clerk becomes desperate? Suppose some gang member offers this minimum wage clerk $100,000 in cash to hand over a hundred names with all that personal information? This financially desperate clerk is looking at a hundred thousand dollars in cash rather then her $250 a week take home pay. A pay that she cant make ends meet with. What do you think this clerk will do if confronted with this situation?

Cyber crime is here to stay.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
If I let my attitude and extreme hatred for WAMU determine the outcome then I can assure you that I would walk into WAMU main offices and blow the entire building to smitherenes with everyone in it.

This is no joke. It can happen to anyone. You dont have to pay bills online or make purchases on line to be a victim. It can be totally random. These scammers have computers that play millions of random numbers trying to get into just one account. They target these accounts in different ways. That is a whole nother post. There is little to nothing you can do to protect yourself from this kind of crime. There is a little bit you can do to protect a small time criminal from seeing your PIN from over your shoulder or from the gas pump on the other side with binoculars.

Always protect your PIN. Put your hand over the keyboard. Dont even make ATM withdrawls if there are people around. Dont buy anything from overseas even through PayPal.

Think about this: You call your credit card company with a simple question. They drill you with everything from what is your mothers maiden name to your SS#, your PIN#, account#, your grammar school name, your dogs name and all kinds of trick questions to make damn sure it is you they are talking to. Then the dope on the other end will answer your questions.

Now...think about this: You just gave all of the most vital personal information to a mimimum wage clerk. Do you know what some one can do with your SS#, PIN#, account#, mothers maiden name, and some other trick proof questions most secure sites use? Now lets suppose that minimum wage clerk becomes desperate? Suppose some gang member offers this minimum wage clerk $100,000 in cash to hand over a hundred names with all that personal information? This financially desperate clerk is looking at a hundred thousand dollars in cash rather then her $250 a week take home pay. A pay that she cant make ends meet with. What do you think this clerk will do if confronted with this situation?

Cyber crime is here to stay.
A CSR should never ask you for you pin number to begin with. But I understand what you are saying. Pretty scary.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:00 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
Well, excuuuuuse me. Where oh where did I call you a deadbeat, or even IMPLY it? I never said anyone deserved to be laid off either, but that's what unemployment insurance is for -- which can be drawn for a very long time, in fact. I could live indefinitely on the amount unemployment pays. I wouldn't be having many luxuries, but I could do it. Then again, I don't typically have my credit cards maxed out either, so my payments on them aren't high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance